Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

mexipike

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
I've been using the Amidol Lodima kit from Formulary with Lodima paper and really love it. I've decided to purchase my own chemicals from Artcraft. Is there any reason that halving the formula in order to make a 1/2 liter wouldn't work? I'm mainly making 4x5 contact prints so don't need a full liter. I can't see how it wouldn't work but I do realize that sometimes there's a minimum of certain ingredients neccesary in order for everything to work right. Artcraft is going to make me individual packets so I don't have to weigh everything out so I wanted to know before I order.

Kevin Caulfield

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I haven't used that particular kit but as it is being weighed out for you, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I also happen to have a Ph.D. in chemistry.

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I've been using the Amidol Lodima kit from Formulary with Lodima paper and really love it. I've decided to purchase my own chemicals from Artcraft. Is there any reason that halving the formula in order to make a 1/2 liter wouldn't work? I'm mainly making 4x5 contact prints so don't need a full liter. I can't see how it wouldn't work but I do realize that sometimes there's a minimum of certain ingredients neccesary in order for everything to work right. Artcraft is going to make me individual packets so I don't have to weigh everything out so I wanted to know before I order.
if you buy ready-mixed chemistry for 1 litre and then cut that into half to make 500cc, you may have an issue with non uniformly distributed ingredients but what you are describing should work just fine.Still, why not make a full litre, store half and use it next time.

OP
OP

mexipike

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
if you buy ready-mixed chemistry for 1 litre and then cut that into half to make 500cc, you may have an issue with non uniformly distributed ingredients but what you are describing should work just fine.Still, why not make a full litre, store half and use it next time.
Because, I don’t believe amidol will last that long stored.

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
I would suggest contact Michael A. Smith and asking him your question because when increasing from 1L to 3L, not all chemicals are increased 3x. The Amidol and KBr are not at 3x proportions.

Peter Schrager

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Just do the 1L formula...it goes all day maybe even next day...use discard..don't t be a cheapskate on chemistry...
I'll sometimes make up 1.5L if I'm going all day/night

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Mix your other ingredients ahead of time and put the liquid in a glass bottle, but add the amidol just before use.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom