MF Graftmatic: anyway designate the exposed negative?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by peter k., Feb 1, 2018.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Would those have any advantage?

2. OP
    OP
    peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha.. that's great... thanks, but we have three film holders. Two 6x7 RB67 ProS, 10 shot, and a Graflex 6x9.
    So what are we doing with a MF Graftrmatic?
    We like to shoot sheet film, so we got it basically to be able to shoot sheet film on our RB67 and doubt will use it much on our 2x3 speed, but it gives us versatility!.

3. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They're 4x5, hard to find and the Fuji's were pricey when new.

Peter,
    I was thinking marking each sheet as you load but the back has antihalation dye that washes off so its likely any marker will wash off with it.
    Perminate marker on the emulsion side will likely come off in the developer which leaves the possibility of scraping the emulsion off and marking the film base with a permanent marker in reverse number order as the first loaded septum in the holder becomes frame six provided the holder is set to 1 prior to operating. ( I always cycle mine in the change bag after loading as it helps ensure smooth operation in camera) Top right edge, lower right edge, top center, top left, bottom left, bottom center. A strip about the width of the frame edge should be sufficient but still not easy.

4. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps you could place a natural but insignificant object in the foreground (such as a small rock), noting its position, and moving it between exposures. You'll need to make note of this. This is probably the easiest and most certain method of associating a developed image with the exposure used no matter how scrambled the septums are and no matter how many push-pull operations you've performed.

My 4x5 Grafmatics all have the numeral disc; I didn't realize the smaller ones lacked this feature.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's obvious but hard to do. You need to keep track of the position of each piece of film from unloading through development. If you process film in a tank you can keep track of the slot each piece of film is placed in. Same for hangers. Trays would be harder as you would need to keep track of your shuffle rotations. After a few times of doing this you will be back to using roll holders like the rest of us.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is starting to sound like it’s more work than it’s worth. :wink:

7. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    take a fine point sharpie in the darkroom when loading--load first sheet, write a tiny "1" in the corner...same for all the rest. The "ink" will come off during development and leave an unexposed number--if you can't legibly write, then use a tally code i, ii, iii, iiii--easy to make lines in the dark--etc. very easy.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Well but sometimes, I accidentally shuffle some of the septums as I slide them out of the Grafmatic.

9. OP
    OP
    peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah... not going back, ... still using. Two backs loaded with color, and the third with Tri-X :tongue:
    Yeah... that's true, but then were retarded, mean retired, so what else is there to do. :pinch:
    Yes .. as noted in post 28 ... but as ChuckP, and just now Sirus, related its not an easy process.
    Easiest will be for the tests, will have a note board, for normal, some rocks arranged, 1 to 6 within the pictured area as been suggested above. That way no confusion... unless a senior moment takes over and we did the dark slide, and have the red to go indicator, and forget to take the shot and ... ha..ha... or .... ha... there are to many variables... :sideways:

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use nail clippers on the corners, with a system that correlates clips with septa.
    Will work for at least 4.

11. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will work for all six, eight or sixteen actually. But you still have to keep track of how you load them.

12. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing is simpler, easier, nor more foolproof than my rock suggestion. Nothing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.