Members
Latest member
tachoknight
Recent bookmarks

Bwbuff

Shooter
35mm
Greetings,

New to Photrio. Just wondering any experiences with ordering films from foreign countries ? I am worrying about damaging the films being scanned through x-ray at the local customs.

Please advise.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Greetings,

New to Photrio. Just wondering any experiences with ordering films from foreign countries ? I am worrying about damaging the films being scanned through x-ray at the local customs.

Please advise.

I buy film from B&H in NY all the time & have never had any issues.

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
I've bought film directly from Astrum in Ukraine several times and had no issues whatsoever.

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
I've bought all my Foma 100 8x10 film from fotoimpex and never had any issues coming to the USA. My last order was pre-pandemic, though, so not sure how things are today.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

Welcome to APUG Photrio!!

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
I, on the other hand, have bought bulk film through eBay that was actually opened, in the light, by customs. So, that may be something to avoid.
But there are lots of sources for film in Canada. Argentix.ca, beau photo, Film Experience Camera, Henry's (if you're desperate), Amplis (if you want Ilford and Kentmere), Downtown Camera.

OP
OP

Bwbuff

Shooter
35mm
Thank you all for your replies. I will order from my local stores, As Don Heisz mentioned, the local customs might open the box and check , that is something I will avoid. Cheers.

OP
OP

Bwbuff

Shooter
35mm
Yes, you are right. The reason why I asked about ordering from foreign countries : my original thought was to try the Shanghai GP3 220 film , which is only available through the auction site , now I think about it , the cost of 1 roll 220 is about $27.00+ CAD, then why don't I shoot two rolls of HP5 120 instead and the cost is still cheaper than one roll of 220.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
Shanghai GP3

Much of the Shanghai film is too overpriced. I bought some 8x10 that was affordable, when I bought it a couple of years ago. Less affordable, now. I got it through AliExpress. There's no 220 on there at the moment.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I, on the other hand, have bought bulk film through eBay that was actually opened, in the light, by customs. So, that may be something to avoid.
But there are lots of sources for film in Canada. Argentix.ca, beau photo, Film Experience Camera, Henry's (if you're desperate), Amplis (if you want Ilford and Kentmere), Downtown Camera.

B&H has a better selection, and free shipping....(over $99).... makes it the preferred choice in Western Canada.
I still occasionally buy film from the Camera Store in Calgary when i'm in a pinch & happen to be in Calgary.

Last edited:

M-88

Shooter
Multi Format
Greetings,

Please advise.

All film which I have ordered from the USA and EU countries have arrived unscathed, including high ISO films like Delta 3200 and Tmax 3200. And please bear in mind that since I use the services of cargo forwarder companies, shipment goes through several scans until it reaches me.

Craig

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
B&H has a better selection, and free shipping....(over $99).... makes it the preferred choice in Western Canada.
I still occasionally buy film from the Camera Store in Calgary when i'm in a pinch & happen to be in Calgary.

With the currency exchange I often find The Camera Store is a better price than B&H. Plus I'd rather support a local store, then I can have film and chemistry in a 10 min drive.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
With the currency exchange I often find The Camera Store is a better price than B&H. Plus I'd rather support a local store, then I can have film and chemistry in a 10 min drive.

Peter & Julian are good friends of mine. I've known them since the Nova Photo and Camtech days. But their stock is limited and I usually buy relatively large amounts at a time. It's been years since they had 5"x7" film in stock. & at the price of gas and the 1.5hrs each way I don't drive into Calgary for a couple of rolls of film. Great that it's convenient to you.
I did buy a bunch of Kentmere 120 & The Camera Store had it in stock quickly.
The Camera Store is my go-to ..... but as an analog photog, the stuff i need is limited there. Their paper selection is limited, old stock, and expensive.(they were buying Foma from Freestyle Photo along with Arista products). I do stock up on jugs of Ilford Hypam & MG Developer for the times I run out of Ansco 130 or T5 fixer.
I've also bought lots of 5x7" Kodak TMY-2 from Keith Canham and had no issues with it being opened or damaged.

Last edited:

Helios 1984

Shooter
35mm
They are. In fact, I just had correspondence with my contact at Astrum four days ago - he sent me the current price list for ordering.

Good, that is good. I was wondering because Shostka isn’t far from the border with Moscovia.

Is there a minimum purchase quantity or can one order, say, a single 50-100ft bulk?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It is very unlikely customs would open factory sealed film coming from an authentic retailer. Ebay is a different story.

On eBay, they open the can, unwind the film, hold it up to the light and take a lot of photographys of it to show how good the film is.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm afraid you are showing your age when you refer to it as "mail order" :smile:
I too have ordered film from the USA without issue - but only from well recognized retail sources.
I've also received replacement films shipped commercially from the US by Kodak Alaris - again without incident.
And I've privately sold a bunch of film here to a fairly large number of purchasers - both inside and outside Canada. I used Canada Post, and none of the shipments encountered any complications.

OP
OP

Bwbuff

Shooter
35mm
Haha, good guess MattKing, I soon will be joining the big 70 club.

removedacct1

Shooter
Large Format
Good, that is good. I was wondering because Shostka isn’t far from the border with Moscovia.

Is there a minimum purchase quantity or can one order, say, a single 50-100ft bulk?

I don't think there's a minimum order - I've typically ordered 20-40 rolls of 35mm from them at a time.

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
On eBay, they open the can, unwind the film, hold it up to the light and take a lot of photographys of it to show how good the film is.

I've seen that on ebay listings. However, what happened to me is factory-sealed cans of film arrived with the tape removed and the film exposed to light by customs.

redbandit

Shooter
35mm
I've seen that on ebay listings. However, what happened to me is factory-sealed cans of film arrived with the tape removed and the film exposed to light by customs.

the ebay sellers are doing it..

you can go search for film on ilt right now and youll find a good number of people are opening cans up, and then taking a photo of the contents... and then demanding 350$ for that partial roll of Silvermax

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom