Leica Basics: In Need of Some Leica Education

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by arealitystudios, Aug 20, 2009.

1. diser

diser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I dont agree any comment of these websites.
    Leica lenses are most heavily engineered , most heavily calculated lenses on earth.
    And they did everything to improve the glasses , they have the most expensive , hardest to produce , longest time invested and most genius glasses on earth.
    YOU can not JUDGE a Summaron as OK as Camera Quest did. They are handmade custom 3 million dollar Rolls Royce Silver Ghost and all other competitors are toyota , you can buy at USA used for 500 dollars.
    There is that difference.
    Its like sleeping with Miss America or Miss Universe or an ugly woman.
    I used every kind of Leica and only the Leitz Wetzlar stuff are that good , I dont think Noctilux and Summilux Leica Solms deserves such a treatment.
    People hate Leica because they cant buy it. And if you cant sleep with Miss Universe , dont throw shit to her.

Umut

3. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sleep with my Leica (M7) and especially the lenses. If you have ever used high resolution films and the right type developers this 35mm equipment can compete with small medium format and because the system is so practical and handy my best photos are made with Miss Universe :smile:

4. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Or use a 12mm lens and set it to 1 meter and never focus again. :smile:

5. stevebrot

stevebrot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is all a matter of taste and as the (English) saying goes...there is no accounting for taste. Much the same goes for cameras.

If I wanted a Leica, I could buy one, but why? I am quite capable of taking mediocre photos with much less expensive gear. I personally have quite a bit of fun shooting with my somewhat strange line-up of cameras and lenses.

BTW...what does an ugly woman look like?

Steve

6. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

7. Puma

Puma Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

A camera is a paintbrush, there are many types to accomplish different strokes. And within the Leica lineup of lenses each lens in a focal length has a different character. That said, you will ne'er be able to tell anything by looking at a computer monitor and thus all your research is for naught. The only way to understand them is to buy them and use them.

The amount of ridiculousness available on the internet is staggering and for the most part completely pointless in the pursuit of creating worthwhile images. All Leica lenses are excellent. A persons ability to use them to their full capability varies wildly. All of the actual, valuable information concerning leica lenses is contained in books written about them.

The names you asked about are simply trade names that Leica uses to describe the speed of the lenses;

Noctilux is basically an F/1 lens, there are F/1.2, F/1 and F/0.95 varieties. Noctili are completely unnecessary but I do think the out of focus areas look good. Good luck handholding at F/1 and enjoy carrying that behemoth around.

Summilux is F1.4 and makes low light color photography possible, but I say "Yuck" to low light color. Still they are useful for narrow depth of field.

Summicron is F/2 and the most practical to carry on an everyday, everywhere basis which is mostly the point of having and using the Leica. Though not all Summicrons are small.

Elmarit is F/2.8 and I believe they provide the best image qualities wide open but that's just my opinion. They are cheaper, smaller and lighter than their faster brothers and by far the easiest to carry.

Elmar is F/4 and are great lenses as well.

Your own knowledge of latin will tell you what these words actually mean.

Huge variations in price are the result of the collector markets, speeds of lenses that make them attractive to professionals who use them in low light, supply and demand, internet propaganda, Erwin Puts or whomever says the best lens is X and everyone has to have it. Leica lenses are worth the price, just as everything that is created to the highest standard is.

Enjoy the cult of Leica,

Puma

8. Micky

Micky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Watch Dead Link Removed short two part educational video on purchasing rangefinder cameras!

9. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    FWIW, I just finished an article called, "Lens Primer - The Basics" that goes into a whole lot of just that; focal length, aperture, hoods, how they're named, etc. It's written from a rather basic point of view and will be followed up by additional articles that get more advanced. This is part one, or "Lens 101." :smile:

10. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  11. dave_gt

dave_gt Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the La Vida Leica links!

12. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You're very welcome, Dave. I hope they help people.

13. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. david3558

david3558 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wow, those are awesome articles!

16. lacavol

lacavol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it has already been mentioned in the thread I apologize. I just wanted to mention http://nemeng.com/leica/. And watch out some FSU lenses have 39*1mm. threads whereas the Leica spec. is 39mm*24tpi. Slightly different but usually works. I have an Industar 61 L/D that I like in addition to my Summicron. Oh, and watch out for fakes on the auction sites http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page367.htm. I like my Leica better than my Fed, but it doesn't have the red hammer and sickle :smile:

17. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Noctiluces would be the correct pseudolatinate plural. I rather like my (accusative singular) f1.0 Noctilucem. :wink:

Chris

18. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    WAY too much wankery over there. Some good info for sure, but it tends to get lost in the more numerous, pointless nerd threads -- "what kind of bicycle does a Leica user ride?". (an actual thread!)

Stop twiddling oneself. Get out and shoot. /rant

19. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Colin, once you start looking at 1 in 5 threads there as parody, it makes more sense. :smile:

20. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think 20% is too low. It's more like 25%.

OTOH, their are some really decent folks there and.some good info. I don't want ro pan the site. I check it semi regularly. Goodness knows there's enough wacky stuff here too, some of which I'm guilty of participating in.

21. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here's my hit list:

Www.keh.com - always some good finds, and always a wide range of stock. They under-rate everything so even a "bargain" is a bargain!

Www.tamarkin.com - Dan Tamarkin is a really great guy, I almost bought from him once and he was so incredibly helpful and interested in conversing over the product. He made sure I felt I was getting top notch service. He's got great deals on his site too.

khpny19@aol.com - Ken Hansen used to have a store in new York, but deals from pretty much any location now. He is very fair, and prompt, and you can always trust him.

wye7@yahoo.com - Youxin Ye is a Leica repairman, self taught too, but he is an amazing guy. He fixes up old Leicas and sells them for a really good deal, and since he has worked on it himself, you have that assurance of proper function. If anything ever goes wrong, he's got the best deals in town (town being the USA). Send him your Leica for a CLA at least once a year!

22. jaz1943

jaz1943 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Also try www.camerawest.com they have a dedicated leica store and leica expert. Their prices are close to KEN with similar grading. They are located in Rancho Mirage and Walnut Creek ca.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

23. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe but I use Canon LTM and Cosina LTM lenses on my Ms.
    If you want small and low weight or ultra fast and cheap Cosina.
    If you want medium contrast then Canon or Cosina single coated.
    Only collectors use and talk up Leica lenses, by 1960 Canon and Nikon, left Leitz (and Zeiss) in dust for cost/performance ratio.

24. outwest

outwest Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I use Nikon lenses on my Canon cameras;-)

25. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Cosina is cheap, yes. Lenses build is matching the price. 1K CV is better, than $500 CV.
    Can't tell about old from Canonikon, too old for me by all means, but modern Leica lenses are worth of their money not for collectors, but for those who aren't blind crapshooters.

26. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I tested my Canon, Nikon & Cosina LTM and Leica M lenses Panf+ lens test chart etc sold the Leica ones...
    The 1k & 500 USD Cosina lenses are different lenses same as two Leica lenses at different USD.
    I've had them apart for fogging.
    If you want photos Cosina are better value if you want collectors Leica.
    Today I'm carrying three Canon P rather than M2. The Canon are faster handling!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.