Latest member
rmurthy2
Recent bookmarks

henryyjjames

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Hello,

So I found a bulk loader in my college darkroom with the label "Kodalith Ortho loaded 18/3/2015". Obviously, I want to shoot a roll and develop it, but since it's an old film, I am wondering what ISO I should shoot it at. I actually don't even know what the original ISO rating was. Is there a specific developer that is better for this film?
If anyone has any knowledge about this particular film and its development.

Thanks,
Henry

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm sure it's fine, but that probably doesn't matter. Unless you do hi-contrast stuff, you are better off selling it on EBAY and using the profit to buy some film you can use.

kodalith.jpg

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
When new, Kodalith had an equivalent ISO of about 2 to 3, similar to the enlarging papers of the 1970s-1980s. The good news is, the slower the film, the less speed it loses over time.

When I was in high school (mid-1970s) we developed Kodalith in diluted Dektol to get results with some gray scale. The original use of this film, with the A-B litho developer (mixed before developing) was for very high contrast, and processed that way it's a stop or more faster, but even Dektol gave a pretty limited scale. If you want real gray tones, you'd probably be ahead to develop with a developer intended for document films, like H&W Control, POTA, or similar -- but then you 'll give up even more speed (might wind up at EI 1 or even lower). Testing would be advisable.

AnselMortensen

Subscriber
Shooter
Traditional
I used some of that back in my community college days in the early '80's...
IIRC, we used Dektol 1:3, rated film around 100 ASA (yes, it was ASA then) and bracketed...very high contrast, but with some gradation...not pure black/ pure clear.
My notebook from that class is somewhere in storage, and I can't remember development time/temp.
On the plus side, it is orthochromatic, so you can develop by inspection under a RED safelight.
If you want to pursue using it, I'd recommend finding some darkroom books & magazines from the '70's, it was a popular 'creative technique ' back in the day.
Did I mention 'bracket' ? :smile:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Thread moved to the B&W: film sub-forum.
And on the thread's subject - the film is great for making title slides!

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
You can expose Kodalith Ortho 3 at iso25 and get decent results - but high contrast. You can try iso12. At any rate, you can pick a developer and develop under a safelight.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Kodalith was used in the printing trade to make half tone plates. I know that some experimented very low contrast developers such as Kodatech (?) use with Tech Pan. Very fine grain, white skies, the tones always looked strange to me.

AnselMortensen

Subscriber
Shooter
Traditional
Hmmmm... I like that idea, I have some Kodalith in 4x5, and some Technidol.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom