Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
As said in that article the plant has been drastically reduced within the last years.

pstake

Shooter
Multi Format
I wasn't aware that Kodak still made any printing paper. Does the Harrow plant manufacture color negative paper only?

Prest_400

Shooter
Med. Format RF
Didn't think much about it at first, as somehow because Harrow is tied to Alaris and by becoming a part of it it is already safe (from Perez et al). Nice to hear

I like these lines:
Mr Palmer added: “Now that the company is UK-registered and with the manufacturing based here, our future is very much in our own hands.

“Now there are certain things we can do as a company which may not have been able to do if were still part of Eastman.”
Also, despite the novelty of the company and the need to stabilise, the mention of possible future investments (in which direction?) is interesting. He mentions the manufacturing based in the UK, but that is only/mostly C-Type paper (?). They did make film in the past, could it be that in some future they begin again to manufacture it in this site? (Think far future, as EK still goes, I think it will still be US based).
PE did say that manufacturing film in Harrow wasn't feasible, at the moment at least.

The film industry caught both its own crisis and the great recession. If the global economy stabilizes and grows again, it will do quite some good. Even if the Great Recession didn't have much into account for some of the falls (Agfa, 2006, still in the good times) it sure must have complicated the task for the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
The film industry caught both its own crisis and the great recession. If the global economy stabilizes and grows again, it will do quite some good. Even if the Great Recession didn't have much into account for some of the falls (Agfa, 2006, still in the good times) it sure must have complicated the task for the others.

The times were already bad for the industry before the recession.
The sale of Agfa's consumer branch was decided even much earlier than the actual sale.
The cause for the industry's own recession is not the world economic situation, though it had some influence.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If that article's 100% correct Kodak Alaris has it's own coating facilities separate from the US Eastman Kodak, Harrow coated everything from Kodachrome to B&W papers.

So presumably they could still manufacture film there if they needed to, or sub-contract to another company.

Ian

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
Ectalure please
Elite please

If that article's 100% correct Kodak Alaris has it's own coating facilities separate from the US Eastman Kodak, Harrow coated everything from Kodachrome to B&W papers.

So presumably they could still manufacture film there if they needed to, or sub-contract to another company.

Ian

Darkroom317

Shooter
Large Format
Ektalure contained Cadmium so if anything similar were to be introduced it wouldn't have the same characteristics unfortunately.

Ian

That's odd. The cadmium red/ orange/ yellow oil paints that I use still contain cadmium. I didn't think it was that much of a problem.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Shooter
Multi Format

Roger Cole

Shooter
Multi Format
Panalure, please

+1. Elite would be nice for lovers of graded papers as there is little choice now, mainly Gallerie or finding some place to bring in Slavich for you. Ektalure would be nice if it could be like it used to be but we do have excellent warm tone papers. We have no panchromatic paper and I could use one for printing color negatives to black and white.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
That's odd. The cadmium red/ orange/ yellow oil paints that I use still contain cadmium. I didn't think it was that much of a problem.

It's the Cadmium salts that are banned, that's why NiCd batteries are no longer made, Kodak was the last of the major manufacturers to use Cadmium in a warm tone paper.

Ian

PKM-25

Shooter
Multi Format
I want Kodak to make HIE in 8”x46.3” sheets 27 to a box with cool new art deco branding because I know more than anyone about economies of scale and could care less about fully exploiting the high quality materials they already make and eek a profit out on, who cares about that, I just want what I don't have, nothing else matters.

No sir-ee, I want Polymax in 30 different sizes available in every Target and Walmart in the country and I don’t care if it short dates exposing the company and all current products on the line to potential risk, all I need are my 4 boxes of 8x10 per year, that has to be enough to run a mile of it, right? I bet there are at least 7 more people like me who would buy 4 boxes of what I want. Why I think I will fly to the UK, break into the Harrow plant and make my own assessment of what can be done. I will hold the bean counters at water gun point and demand to see all the financials because I am positive I know a lot more about running a multi-million dollar company in a increasingly niche environment than they do, I do I do I tell ya!

Sakes alive it feels so good to post time and time again on these here glorious interwebs about what *I* want and don't have, what a great way to spend my day I tell ya!

Shooter
Multi Format
8x10 panchromatic glass plates, baby. Harman is completely ignoring that market. They will be KA's savior. Of that I am certain...

:cool:

Ken

PKM-25

Shooter
Multi Format
8x10 panchromatic glass plates, baby.

Are those the ones in that no matter what your subject matter, a small image of Peter O'Toole on a camel appears in every shot?
I just KNEW they could do it, I KNEW there was a market....:tongue:

I am really just waiting on some biodegradable paint on emulsion that is registered with state and local law enforcement that has a disclaimer that you can not be arrested for indecent exposure if use it on your entire body and print an image of the Incredible Hulk on your self...

Logging out (No, that does not mean an exceptionally lively bowel movement)...

Dr Croubie

Shooter
Multi Format

It is if you eat them.

Roger Cole

Shooter
Multi Format
I want Kodak to make HIE in 8”x46.3” sheets 27 to a box with cool new art deco branding because I know more than anyone about economies of scale and could care less about fully exploiting the high quality materials they already make and eek a profit out on, who cares about that, I just want what I don't have, nothing else matters.

No sir-ee, I want Polymax in 30 different sizes available in every Target and Walmart in the country and I don’t care if it short dates exposing the company and all current products on the line to potential risk, all I need are my 4 boxes of 8x10 per year, that has to be enough to run a mile of it, right? I bet there are at least 7 more people like me who would buy 4 boxes of what I want. Why I think I will fly to the UK, break into the Harrow plant and make my own assessment of what can be done. I will hold the bean counters at water gun point and demand to see all the financials because I am positive I know a lot more about running a multi-million dollar company in a increasingly niche environment than they do, I do I do I tell ya!

Sakes alive it feels so good to post time and time again on these here glorious interwebs about what *I* want and don't have, what a great way to spend my day I tell ya!

Lighten up. We can all dream. They aren't going to make some product only seven of us want and endanger the rest of the company.

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
If they made Plus-X, Tri-X, and Kodabromide paper and nothing else, all in the standard American sizes, that's all the world would ever need in supplies.

OP
OP
RattyMouse

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
It is if you eat them.

I bought an electric break making machine once in the US. It arrived at our home and my wife and I prepared to make our first batch of home made bread. As we set it up, I saw on the chord a tag which read something like "This device contains materials known by the state of California to cause cancer." WHAT!!!??? We stopped our plan to make bread and I called the manufacturer the next day. I asked them what is all this cancer stuff on the bread machine. The customer service rep told me that they had to label the machine this way because one chemical used to make the electric power chord is a carcinogen. She said that we should not eat the power chord due to this ingredient. I told her that I had no intention to eat the actual bread machine, only the bread that comes out of it. Regardless she told me that her corporate lawyers insist that she tell customers not to eat the power cords.

I hung up the phone seriously depressed at the state of the USA.

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
I bought an electric break making machine once in the US. It arrived at our home and my wife and I prepared to make our first batch of home made bread. As we set it up, I saw on the chord a tag which read something like "This device contains materials known by the state of California to cause cancer." WHAT!!!??? We stopped our plan to make bread and I called the manufacturer the next day. I asked them what is all this cancer stuff on the bread machine. The customer service rep told me that they had to label the machine this way because one chemical used to make the electric power chord is a carcinogen. She said that we should not eat the power chord due to this ingredient. I told her that I had no intention to eat the actual bread machine, only the bread that comes out of it. Regardless she told me that her corporate lawyers insist that she tell customers not to eat the power cords.

I hung up the phone seriously depressed at the state of the USA.

I don't blame you a bit. We have an over-abundance of absurdity around here. I'm afraid we might be pinned for the count. You might want to use a little tenderizer when you broil that power cord. Easier to chew.

j.c.denton

Shooter
Medium Format
Well, marketing is always asking me (customer) what I want, so I don't see anything wrong in telling them that I would like to have Kodak slide film (Ektachrome) back. I just don't demand it and I think this is different to many postings I am seeing on the web.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom