Kodak Announces Eric-Yves Mahe as New President of Consumer and Film Division

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by markjwyatt, Jun 11, 2018.

How will this effect film availibility

1. Increase it

14.7%
  2. Decrease it

14.7%
  3. Neutral

70.6%
  1. markjwyatt

markjwyatt Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who knows what impact he will have. I am more interested who is heading up the get cash to buy out the preferred shareholders in 2019 division.

3. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Still film is still in Alaris territory.

5. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    His profile is not particularly encouraging, but at least he comes from Europe where innovation doesn't necessarily mean destroy everything from the past as a means to the future.

Most USA managers are lazy beyond belief and will destroy an organization the first hint they get of a problem, because they know nothing of problem solving and a lot about how to tear something down...

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly, this is about Kodak not Kodak Alaris.

However as we still do not know how things are situated practically between both firms, whether Kodak is only toll-coater for Kodak Alaris, or if Kodak Alaris is merely an outlet for consumer films from Kodak, the person in this position may be of importance concerning still film market strategy.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak Alaris owns all the marketing business for Kodak branded still film, Kodak photographic chemicals, and Kodak colour photographic paper.
    The Eastman Kodak "Consumer and Film Division" is the one that deals with non-film consumer products, motion picture film, and manufacture (For Kodak Alaris) of the still films that they market.ff
    Their is no uncertainty about how little Eastman Kodak has to do with the sale of Kodak branded still film.

8. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Who did they get rid of? (Who was in this role before ?)

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Obviously at least the mere prodcution of still film falls under him too.
    If you see that differently, please name the appropriate director.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I hinted at before I see a lot of uncertainty there. Kodak Alaris can only sell what Kodak produces. We do not know how great the influence of Kodak is in deciding what to produce, where the incentive is. Started as company with no expertise at all (in contrast for instance to Maco) it is hard to believe for Kodak Alaris to approach Kodak to produce a certain film for them.

11. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EK cannot possibly toll coat for KA because KA has no films whatsoever. They have no chemists, no formulations, etc. KA sells what EK makes. It's that simple.

12. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's worse, he's only been with Kodak for all of 3 and a half years. They couldnt find someone with film legacy to run the business?

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you prefer the term tollmanufacturing, then read this instead of my tollcoating.
    However the term tollcoating in the past has been used within the Kodak-world for making a product customized for a certain client by fomulas and with materials of the manufacturer.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    doesn't really matter much who the head of EK is
    film production and selling isn't a priority, their
    priority is actually making a profit
    and sadly not many people
    here .. get it...

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think we all understand in what world we are living, that it is about profit.
    However the people in charge decide which way a company goes to try to make profit.

A manager with a long background in film making may be (I say "may") more inclined to think of ways to keep this technology and the company's assets in brains and machinery for a niche market or a new to develop market, than a person from a completely different field, maybe even digital native, who considers halide technolgy as something 19th century and absolutely obsolete.

17. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My point was is that it is impossible for KA to order up the tolling of any product since they are unable to formulate a product. With regards to film, they are a marketing company and nothing more.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree, and already hinted at that above. Thus we cannot, or ar least could not, see Kodak Alaris on its own, but even knowledgewise related to Eastman Kodak.

And at least as long as Kodak Alaris is bound to Eastman Kodak in obtaining still film, it is economically questionable whether it makes sense for them to build up much expertise on that matter.

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe the re-release of tmz and the eventual release of ektachrome are
    signs that the the new head of company will keep traditional camera users
    in the mix, but i seriously think that a lot of people who populate photography
    messageboards like this one and other similar atmospheres don't realize
    that if a company is losing $$ making something, they aren't going to keep making it
    that they ( the small # of people that use traditional products ) are a drop in the bucket
    and reality is reality and the reality of EK is that photo "stuff" probably isn't a profit machine
    like it was in the days of yore and it might be kind of a money LOSING operation ( or neutral )
    and while they are trying to keep us happy, they have shareholders and banks they have to keep happier.
    we have seen endless posts and endless EK/KA hate/diatribe threads about how people take
    the fact that their favorite paper or film emulsion was discontinued and people took it personally.
    business is business and sometimes businesses have to stay alive, and not keep the 1% of their customers happy
    while they lose $$
    YUMMV

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just think back of Eastman Kodak the years before the insolvency. The still film department was doing no marketing at all. But the the cine film department published magazines and approached young filmmakers,(at least in the USA). So, there was different attitude even within one company and about very similar products.

21. Wallendo

Wallendo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    EK and KA are separate companies, but I doubt there is a great chasm between the two. The hopeful return of Ektachrome appears to represent sales by both companies. The actual return of Kodak P3200 most likely was a cooperative effort between both companies - I doubt KA cold-called EK and ordered a batch of P3200 (and if they did, I hope they order a batch of Panatomic-X next week). Most likely higher-ups at EK and the US division of KA got together and made a mutually beneficial deal.

22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Add consumer cine film to Kodak Alaris portfolio of products.

Kodak Alaris is owned by the Kodak Ltd (UK) Pension Fund so has very close links with Eastman Kodak going back over a 100 years, and also access to UK based Kodak personnel whose Pensions they administer, current as well as ex employees. Both sides need to see profits and there's an unpredicted faster rise in film sales compared to when Kodak decided to re-introduce Ektachrome and Tmax P3200.

I've been surprised recently at young people, I took a lens (120mm f6,8 Angulon) to show a friend (now totally digital) in my local pub, and a youngish girl (21/22) said what's that can I have a look. She then surprised me and said I hope you're going to use it, I've since met her partner and they are both into using film but so far just use labs. The next step is they are coming to do their own C41 and B&W film processing in my darkroom.

There's another lad in the same pub (a bit older) who's bought Olympus slrs and a Bronica ETR? and one or two other film cameras, he's yet to actually finish and process films and that's in 4 or 5 months. I think it's far more daunting today to begin film photography compared to when many of us older members started, at that time it was the norm. That's the uphill battle all film and paper manufacturers have to face.

It would be good to see all the film and paper manufacturers come together in some way to promote Analog photography, it would be benificial to them all, they do (or did) in the UK when it came to effluent disposal, airport X-ray screening, and and at ISO meetings.

Ian

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All cine film is part of Eastman Kodak.

But at their site they give S-8 a low profile, you find it in the data sheets and the catalog.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  24. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would assume that film production is constrained by demand, not by production capacity. So, in effect, EK can only produce (consumer films) what KA sells.

25. Europan

Europan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John O’Grady

26. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very true. With demand down 96% from it's high, there is an awfully large amount of capacity going unused.

I can't imagine what my company would do if we had to idle 96% of our capacity. We'd probably just shut down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.