Kodak ‘Investigating What it Would Take’ to Bring Back Kodachrome

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by farmersteve, Jan 9, 2017.

1. farmersteve

farmersteve Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do they really think there is a market? I don't see a bunch of digital photographers running out and buying film cameras and lenses to shoot and scan slides, so they are likely going to have to steal customers from existing Fuji and rebranded Fuji transparency film.

Anybody out there want to scan a Kodachrome and post an image so we can compare it with 36+mp full frame digital.

3. jgcull

jgcull Member

That's funny, sort of. Why didn't they just not take it away??

4. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one of those 36 MP cameras (Nikon D800) and yes, I would jump on Kodachrome in a heartbeat!

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    OH NO not another series of Kodachrome again! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!

6. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They took it away with good reasons. And if they're smart, they'll remember those reasons.

7. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm considering marrying Scarlett Johansson.

8. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has there been a dramatic upsurge in demand for slide films??? The reason for their decline is that they require some sort of viewing device either a screen and projector or at least a simple viewer. Today's society is unwilling to bother. They're even loath to have prints made. Perhaps it makes sense to sort of sneak in the backdoor by offering MP film.

9. shoot6x7

shoot6x7 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a small scanning business where we market to seniors and their children to 'digitize' their heirloom transparencies. Scanning 40 year old Kodachrome slides is a joy. They look like they were made last week. The colour, the quality is fantastic. Especially when compared to 40 year old E6 type slides which are faded and thin.

10. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Anybody out there want to project a 36 MP full frame digital on screen next to a Kodachrome projection?

11. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    She used Leica M6 in movie "Vicky Christina Barcelona". I would say go for it :wink:!

12. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If this happens there will be many hats to eat on APUG.

I don't think the K-14 process will come back but they may brand an E-6 as New Kodachrome or something...

13. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should have said ... I'm `Investigating What It Would Take` to marry Scarlett Johansson, of course

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My family has some Ektachromes from 1981 that look just fine...

16. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Set defense readiness condition to DEFCON 3!
    Prepare for potential menace of multiple K14 threads!

17. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    April 1 seems kind of early, did we somehow miss January, February, and March?

OTH, transparencies are easier to deal with in scanning, maybe that is part of their motivation.

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    No the Kodachrome structure and process requires a different development than the Ektachrome family.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, she tried marrying a Canadian, and it didn't work. Maybe you will be the right choice ....

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which Kodachrome structure? The original, K-12, K-14 or?
    They could easily slap a "New Kodachrome" name on anything. Then there would be lots of new Kodachrome threads on APUG.
    Maybe they could tweak the Vision product to provide customers with a choice of three products - optically printable negatives, projectable slides and scans - all from the same roll.

21. Huss

Huss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin Freeman used a Leica M6 in the movie "Whisky Tango Foxtrot"
    Perhaps someone should dive on that grenade? (not that there is anything wrong with that).

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Hmm, I did not think of that. I A*S*S*U*M*E*D that they were talking about bringing back the real Kodachrome not a pseudo Kodachrome. Will they bring back the muddy gray-brown skies of the mid 1960's Kodachrome 64 for the real nostalgic look?

23. NJH

NJH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I scanned a box of slides for my Mum, all taken between 1966 and 69. All the Kodachromes look fine but there was also an Ektachrome slide in there and that looked fine and scanned OK also but not as punchy as the Kodachromes. There was some other non-kodak film in there that have faded badly though, not sure what it is but they were mounted by Boots in plastic mounts whereas all the Kodak stuff was in Kodak cardboard mounts with the month and year printed on them, really neatly done.

24. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe we need an Old Film Revival forum. That way, proponents could indulge their wishes there and those who've grown weary can simply put the forum in the 'ignore' category.

Personally, I'd love to see Kodachrome ciné film - along with the old High Speed Infrared and Tech Pan.

25. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, but 1966 Ektachrome is not the same as 1981 Ektachrome which is not the same as 2000 Ektachrome and so on...

Let's get REAL: Pro photographers used Kodachrome 25 and 64 until something called "FUJICHROME VELVIA 50" appeared, with ultra saturated colors, quicker processing, and fairly good image stability; they migrated en masse to it (and then to Provia, Astia, and the new Ektachromes), and Kodachrome died because of lower demand.

If Kodak wants to resurrect Kodachrome they can do it, it should not be impossible at all if they are able to resurrect Ektachrome.
    They can simply offer to process it themselves worldwide by having a machine on USA.
    Making the actual film is probably easier than making E6 film -- i'm taking a guess here, of course.

Of course, this means that all the "New Kodachrome" rolls in the world would travel to USA to be developed, back and forth, generating more carbon emissions, so an APUG thread about this will appear, encouraging people not to shoot Kodachrome, save the environment, you know?!

But while it is technically possible, the problem is if all this strategy is profitable, and I don't see how this could be profitable, unless they do it with big fanfare, lots of press to cater to the hipsters and to the APUGgers who start "bring back Kodachrome" threads...

26. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i think this is it
    they are going to make another film
    and call it kodachrome, like olympus brought back the "pen" camera
    and polaroid brought back the bad AA battery, and polaroid swing brought back the harry potter moving image telephone app...
    unless they are going to rebuild their processing and printing plant again, from the ground up ....
    not sure if happy D kept the kodachrome processing machine after the last roll went through it ...
    or if the plant in switzerland still has the machine to process the 8mm/16mm motion picture film ... otherwise it might be tricky,
    unless they contract that guy in australia who has figured out a way to do it with hair dye, ammonia, no-doze pills
    peppermint schnapps, dingo urine, wallaby tears and molasses.

pdeeh, you are a lucky guy !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.