Kodachrome home developed!!!!!! (not me)

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Young He, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some last, some don't. My in laws have a stash of slides, 30-50 years old. Some Ektachromes are ok, most are faded beyond recognition. Kodachromes look like new.

@AgX: color film products changed a lot, even when the process itself didn't. Therefore color developer itself may be important, but choice of coupler definitely affects longevity of final product, too.

2. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you asking me it does not go about
    making harsh post ?
    Kodachrome is a little more complicate than all other processing. (to the most - including me.....I have to say. ..:cry:)
    If you are asking me it goes about to respect a post and to respect the oppinium of an OP.
    And the best way to do this isn't to state : Great work...fine results...you are an expert...I like this....+1 like it also...pretty
    work - go ahead with this fine and informative examples.....how did you practice such impressive investigation.....
    Kodachrome is just nice. ...+1 great work out....good job - well done...pls. update with additional information soon. ....
    just pretty nice....I love this nice pictures
    + 1 (me too) AND SO ON !
    The best way to respect an opinium is to
    take somebody seriously but therefore you have to discuss sometimes.
    And to approach it is a need to state different positions.
    So the OP can live with this ?
    Would he be more glad without critical response ? Or with less response ?

with regards

3. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes - I noticed my mistaken idea (to work out experimental with simple bw emulsions ) just at the beginning. ..:D:unsure:
    By the time - some colors may couple on
    some layers of different other bw emulsions. One have to find out.But these colors wouldn't be with any correctness as with random due to the color sensitivity from layers of different normal films.
    There is an other post here where someone wanted "wrong colors" - I just remember.

with regards

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Knowing how hard it was for Steven Frizza to do this, I have serious doubts about the quality and longevity of the results here.

PE

5. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    [QUOTE="trendland, post: 2028797, member: 56548".
    I have some doubts if a normal female creature is able to fulfill such complicate task......

Hope nothing of such creatures are reading this jet...

with regards[/QUOTE]

Do you know any "normal female creatures" ? My own wife has been a very competent still and cine photographer for many years, including still B&W and color processing, and movie editing. And I have no problem in admitting that her eye for pictures and composition is often quicker than mine. She a has a degree in industrial history and a post-grad in historical research, and, with various medical qualifications, has worked for many years in senior hospital positions. Presumably if you ever need to be admitted in an emergency to her hospital, you will be willing to wait while a more competent creature (presumably male?) is found to treat you ? Unbelieveable...........

6. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You are a truly sad creature.....what (if any) females have you known in your life ? In my career I have met many highly qualified (and attractive) women.... smart, humorous and intelligent, and easy and friendly to chat with. My three step-daughters are all highly qualified (MSc's) in medicine, fun-loving and loyal, with husbands in top jobs, and delightful little grandchildren. I guess that I ought to feel sorry for you.

7. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you noticed the workflow showed on the diagram given on the tumblr page
    PE ? It seams to be little different with some steps in comparison to the method you have described/recomanded.
    Well - as we should know allways more than one way comes to rome.
    But from your expertise is it possible that way would work?
    To me - let me short state "There is no respocability to wrong couplers - from anybody" - because labs are closed and Kodak themself stated : They can't say" if it is just allowed from modern regulations to use original agends/couplers if they were able to find them anywhere"
    That looks like - it is not very clear (Kodak themselfes have pure speculations) if all compounds needed are still in production by chemical industry.So it looks much much like reformulation if Kodak ever decided to come back to Kodachrome.
    But here it is not the issue from stability caused of wrong chemistry (no other way) - we all know it is roulette from characteristics - but let me short ask :
    Is the process correct?
    (No final wash/no stabilizer mentioned)
    bleach is no need in simular K14 method as I remember correct due to colors within the bath (not coming from film).

with regards

PS : A work from bite your teeth - so Kodak decided to let it open (IF OR IF NOT RELAUNCH KODACHROME)

8. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    AFAIK Steve's main ambition was to use the correct Kodachrome couplers, which were very difficult to obtain and quite expensive. Steve had very high standards, and apparently reached those, albeit with an amount of effort he was unwilling to go through ever again.

Most folks here agree, that Rockland's couplers match original Kodachrome couplers neither in dye hue, nor in longevity, but the overall process appears to be a lot less painful (i.e. buying a toner kit off the shelf vs. jumping through hoops set on fire with wads of your cash to get the real couplers). Sometimes a process has to be easy and cheap enough to be pursued at all, and sometimes a mediocre practical result is worth a lot more than a perfect but theoretical one.

9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As my old University Professor said many years ago "Don't attempt to argue with idiots, you won't win and they will drag you down to their level......"

My wife was the group expert at loading the Arriflex Super 16mm SR2 camera in her own Uni days, and was a neat shooter with the Pentax LX motor drive for the sports events. She can even still load a 35mm cassette.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    trendland, when you posted that original statement, I sort of hoped that we just misunderstood you, that you didn't mean it that way, that you would sort of clear it up, that we would all laugh about it soon, only to end with the slow and painful realization that you were dead serious.

Wow!

ALL the women you have ever dealt with are complete morons, quite contrary to what most of us (including myself) here have experienced! You may want to consider, though, that you are that one common denominator to all these moronic women around you. Not sure, whether I would proudly announce this as you did ...

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The image(s) shown have no quality, in terms of genuine Kodachromes. I never shot much Kodachrome but the few times I did the quality was superb, the only reason I didn't use it more was the slow postal process system in the UK, and I really only like K25 which was too slow in our dismal UK weather.

Ian

12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With a given industrial chromogenic processing standard, only thing one can change is the coupler. But that does not neccessarily mean that such is the ultimate way.

But in any case we should not forget that the films processed were long outdated. It was obviously not intended to follow best practice but to get results.

13. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I realy expected such response rudeofus!
    But special from you I've been suprised - cause I had a feeling you realize what some sentences would tell recived in ironic context.
    If it would be indeed this we will find out later?
    Now the OP and some others are in suspence what to hold from the mentioned methods with Kodachrome?

What me made a little doubtfull is :
    The website (tumblr) refered from its origin to one posting here on Apug
    (the Kodachrome threath from PE )
    but - so it seams to me PE isn't realy amused about.
    I can't say from experience but the chema from Steven Frizza.
    with regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OUTDATED Films - wow Agx - I had it in mind but I forget it to state - thats a real
    center point.
    The most films - Kodachromes 25/200 and (with a little longer avaibility)
    Kodachrome 64 are much more than one full decade expired. So where is the problem? Short answer : there is no problem at all (with min. storage standart)
    But the stuff we may regarding as
    "Funky Kodachrome hype" is often bad Kodachrome SRATCH ....:sick::redface::sick:...!!!

Tons of Super8 Kodachromes and still films find their way to ebay - as I stated before.
    Just some weeks after Dwaynes shot up developing K14.
    My last films were going there too (within the last week)
    So these Kodachrome Sratch (expired date 1979, 1983. 1993, 1984 a.s.o.)
    we realy have no need of original chems.
    Often the storage comes worst in addition.
    (expired 1992 but stored allways in the dark : $ 19,95 ....?:pinch:...)
    Than means found in the garage Agx:sick:?

with regards

16. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Let us please keep any possibly offensive comments to ourselves. I am very sure both sexes are equally capable of loading 35mm film cassettes and processing film and whatever, but it does takes quite a bit of dedication (and someone crazy with enough money haha) to process kodachrome. I was not aiming to get into a debate about sexism or whatever this is, I was expecting a debate over the archivability of the film. Of course, the diyed couplers and processing will be very unarchival, but it is very interesting in how she used commercially available products to get a half decent result. To my untrained eyes, I see no obvious problems with the pictures. I have read another thread where people have been quite successful in developing kodachrome with expensive couplers, and that would not be anything I am going to try in the foreseeable future. This development with commercially available products, however, is quite interesting and I will possibly try this.

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cannot load that page for some reason, so I spoke from experience. Apologies

PE

18. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can change coupler and developing agent. Both have a profound influence on stability and development.

PE

19. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aha ....I unterstand - me too - just concerning the original home page.
    On the tumblr. site is a nice ilustration of full process. 3 steps per color with reversal exposure a.s.o.
    The time of color developer is just a view seconds. First bath just 1 second (or 2 just from mind ) - a K14 machine (just in that worst condition we remember and with electronic from the 70th) is easily able to manage this short time.
    Because of adjustments. ( after 0,8 seconds from film being in color bath - the film can come into a water step and reaches it after 1,25 seconds)
    So just theoreticaly it comes to 1 second - because of little drops of color bath onto the film to further 0,xxx seconds. before color bath definitive is stoped from water step.
    So I felt it should be nearly impossible to REACH only little corectness with drum development.

Thanks for answering :smile:

with regards

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In said so above, as I hinted at the fact that both, coupler and developing agent are of influence on dye stability.

But as long we have have standardized processes it is more likely for a film manufacturer to exchange/modify a coupler than for a processing bath manufacturer to change/modify a developing agent.

21. dwross

dwross Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1
    As seems to be the case far too often lately, I don't know whether it's best to laugh or cry, or wonder if I'm missing a joke. Regardless, my thanks to all the good guys who push back. Appreciated. Respected.
    d (a female)

22. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A female - fine lets make a test?
    If you would read this sentence - what is your first reaction :
    " I have some doubts if a normal male creature is able to fulfill such complicate task" posted frome a girl ?
    A smile - isn't it ?
    Next test : are you thinking it was seriously my serious meaning?
    ......A joke or a bad joke should be the answer :tongue:

with regards

PS : of cause a bad joke I know - But remember - what about your smile:wink:

23. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is off topic and stupid. Take it somewhere else please.

24. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    #1 - Genius doesn't care if you have two X chromosomes or an X and a Y.
    #2 - It doesn't take genius from either sex to do proper chemistry. Women are obviously just as capable as men when it doesn't require lifting something 100 pounds.
    #3 - 'Til this thread I've given you credit for not being primarily an English speaker.
    #4 - Your posts will now be reported to the mods. All you're doing is digging yourself deeper.

Another woman here, btw. And a chemist. (who doesn't give a cr@p about Kodachrome, but was interested enough to see what someone else was doing with chemistry)

25. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Your post needs more emoji.

26. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've had about enough of it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.