Kodachrome home developed!!!!!! (not me)

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Young He, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    First of all, please note that I had nothing to do with the processing. I just saw something cool on Reddit and wanted to share. Someone has possibly already posted about this, but here goes. I will not mention anything that I do not know, as I might mislead someone or give people wrong information.

This person (a woman I believe) has been doing this for quite some time now; several months or even more, but I just found out. She has used the Rockland polytoner product that is available at B&H and Freestyle photo, and regular c41 developer. She puts the polytoner couplers into separate CMY solutions and processes similarly to regular kodachrome.
    Here is the link to her website.

http://kodachromebroughtbackto.life/diagram

This is very interesting; if this has already been posted about I apologize, but this is really cool. The results have remarkable colors and the method used to process is fascinating. Several people have had the idea of using the Rockland polytoner, but this is the first time I have seen results. Maybe more people will try this? I definitely want to try this now.

Edit: I believe she has used a method similar to one posted last year on the Kodachromia wiki, originally I thought she made the post but it turns out it was another person.

2. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In short - just forget it. If you want to substitude a K14 process.
    Of cause you can get something what seams to be a nice color.
    But from other ways you can use simple bw film after developing you can paint the negatives - that would also be a nice color negative.:D......

Sorry to say but thats not my way :cry:.!

with regards

3. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Its not exactly a substitution, just using different couplers and slightly different developing chemistry. I would say that the results are acceptable. I might even go as far as to say this is somewhat like processing an ECN-II film with C41. It's very interesting too; using commercially available chemicals to develop an obsolete film.

4. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry but I may correct myself cause I overread one sentence (just from fast reading).
    She is using seperately CMY baths with special colors ??
    Thats indeed amazing. Ok nice experiment - but I doubt to long live stability from such colors.
    That was the most advantage of Kodachrome !
    So at last - sorry to say - same procedure : Not my way :cry:.....

NOTING TO DO WITH K14...:cry::cry::cry:

with regards

5. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Heh yes you are right; the process is too complicated for regular use. I would expect the stability would be similar to ordinary C41, but definitely not as long as the 165? predicted years for Kodachrome slides. Of course, the stability will probably be affected if a stabilizing bath is not used, or improper bleaching, or if the rockland product does not use the correct couplers. I am not an expert though; hopefully PE can come along and offer his opinion. :smile:

6. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    K-14 is not the point.

The point here is people with rolls of Kodachrome have an option besides for B&W. Someone came up with a way to salvage more data off of a process that is dead. So,

I DON'T CA
    RE IF THIS ISN
    'NT . KODACR
    ME ! SOMEONE GOT
    COLOR OFF. OF KODAC :D
    ROME :cry:

7. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes - I have had thoughts on this before.
    But (to me) it is no way.
    My last Kodachrome I bought somewere around 2002 ? I was forced to pay much more because Kodak stated it will be discontinued. So pricing was very high after this. Later I don't wanted Kodachrome64 - so that was the end to me.
    With much interesst I folowed eBay auctions of all kind of Kodachrome stuff - after Dwaynes stopped developing......
    :surprised::surprised::surprised:.......
    And now my thoughts are again with this group of people : WHAT A PITY - someone sold them Kodachrome filmsbandit:

with regards

8. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really don't understand any of the posts here after first one, but...

If the images on the home page are home developed Kodachrome, I'd say this is pretty impressive work.

9. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A complete different issue would be - Young He - if this solution is a (from my point of view that doesn't matter if it would be then an experimental development) type of approach to use it with EVERY bw film.
    But I have to think about - I belive it isn't possible because the special design of Kodachrome bw basis.
    IT OBVIOUSLY WILL NOT WORK WITH ILFORD PANF, ROLLEI RETRO 80S, TMAX100.......:cry::cry:..very sad about.

with regards

PS : Sure PE has something to say about .... we should wait for a while:angel:

10. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some film is better than no film.

I shoot ECN-2 all the time and develop in C-41. The film police have not yet knocked on my door at 2am. Nothing has blown up and the negatives are safely scanned. On the positive side I got cheap color film that lets me feed my cameras for another while. If I wanted perfect I would join the darkside.

11. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cholentpot the film police several times knocked on your door !!!
    The district federal marshal was informed about issues concerning you.
    BUT YOU WASN'T AT HOME !
    NOW SEVERAL FILM SWAT UNITS ARE ALARMED - THEY ARE ON THE WAY....

:ninja::outlaw:bandit:

12. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last question : Are you sure the posted content is real? (from the tumblr site) ?
    It may be a fake?
    The pictures looks not like coming from Kodachrome.
    If they are Kodachrome the question is :
    Are this pictures processed with alternate solution or are this pictures just Kodachrome examples (from original k14 developing) because they are marked as Kodachrome?
    At last we have just a nice diagram ?

Look at the complete process pls. with several reverse exposure steps.

with regards

13. locutus

locutus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What, seriously!?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bravo. Happy 1918 to you.

16. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, I had my doubts as to whether the images on the site were actually kodachrome or not, but I will trust them for now. You are quite right, trendland, that this will not work on black and white film. However, I believe that this will work on black and white paper with a two color red and green process, similar to the original two color kodachrome. As multigrade paper has two layers of differently sensitized film one could possibly expose one layer, develop it, then expose the second layer and develop it to give a color image.

17. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    @Young He : With two separately sensitized color layers in multigrade B&W paper you are still one layer short of an actual color image, although there was a color cine film product at some point in time which got away with two color layers.

Either way, Rockland's color couplers will likely not yield perfectly correct and long term stable dyes with CD-4 (or any other color developer FWIW), but it will yield a color image that can be reproduced and corrected through other means. In a somewhat recent thread I heard about a Kodachrome film recording of one of the last space shuttle starts, three rolls of movie film which were never developed until now. This, and similar found film instances would be perfect applications for this process. Many things which were highly complicated fifty years ago, such as reexposure with well defined light wave length, have become trivial tasks with today's resources.

18. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would settle for a good 5 liter Kodak E-6 kit. Those were the good old days.

19. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    @Rudeofus I do realize that the color will not be very good, but a two color process is possible and several color film systems used two color, such as an early Kodachrome and technicolor. I would think that Rockland's couplers use the same couplers as ordinary c41, although I might be wrong.

20. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rockland's couplers are vastly different from anything C-41, for many reasons:
    1. C-41 color couplers are heavily ballasted to render them insoluble, contrary to Rockland's couplers, which have to be water soluble.
    2. Since C-41 color couplers are embedded in the emulsion, they are used in milligram doses per m2 and as a result much less cost sensitive than water soluble couplers in a color developer. C-41 film makers simply have more and better options to make a good product.
    3. During their golden days Kodak was an absolute powerhouse of synthetic chemistry, their research budget easily surpassing the whole photographic industry today. Since the field of chemistry generally does not follow Moore's law, even Kodak's thirty year old products are not trivially available today.
    PS: Rockland's couplers are posted in their MSDS, and they are nothing like the mind boggling dye coupler molecules found in Kodak's and Fuji's patents.

PPS: I am aware of two color processes, and even posted a link in my previous post.

@mshchem : An E6 kit will not help you with Kodachrome film stock.

21. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know. I just wish I didn't have to pay 200 bucks for a Fuji kit when I used to be able to buy a Kodak E-6 5L kit for 60 bucks. Any claims of Kodachrome development I tend to group with Bigfoot sightings.

22. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Although rockland's couplers might be completely crap compared to Kodak's, I assume they offer fairly long-lasting dyes. People have been using this product on black and white prints, so I assume it's not that bad and will last a decade or two at least. The old films and whatnot did not have very good couplers, yet they still last quite some time, albeit with some fading.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What counts is the not the coupler as such, but the final product of developing agent and coupler.

By the way, the diagram given is erroneous, but basically it refers to the 2nd Kodachrome process.

24. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1. I really can't see why some people seem to want to make harsh posts....unless it's indigestion through too much booze and food over Christmas, or a need to get out for some fresh air ?.

The OP has drawn our attention to a link, which may be of interest. If it's not, or if you don't believe it, just click your mouse and move on to something which does interest you ?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  25. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That was also my idea - the diagram is wrong/the full process is wrong.Also from other points.
    Look at the step removing rem - jet.
    Does it realy come at last?
    If I remember correct the ramjet has to remove between other steps (somewere in the middle) so it is to be removed earlier.
    with regards

26. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Point taken. Looks pretty good. Who am I to judge? I spent a couple weeks developing Fujichrome Provia F in a 60 year old E-1 Ektachrome kit :happy:. I think I was getting similar results, maybe not so good. This is what makes analog so darn fun, anyone can use an i-phone. (Well I can't to darn confusing):surprised:
    Best Wishes, Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.