Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Good Lord, man… don’t blame California for Walmart. That’s the cancer from Arkansas.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
We build em here too - doesn't that make us part of the spreading disease? But the one nearest to us, about 5 mi away, actually shut down last year.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
Walked to Fishermans Warf and then to Pier 39 and back early this morning with a camera. If I said hello to the panhandlers first, they were polite and some I had a nice chat as I walked by and was not hassled. Later when to Pier 39 and then Ghiradelli Square with a camera and back to the hotel. No problems.

According to other commentators, I should find this extremely hard to believe. Are you saying you enjoyed yourself and did not get mugged?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
According to other commentators, I should find this extremely hard to believe. Are you saying you enjoyed yourself and did not get mugged?

Yesm probably because I did not sign up to be mugged and I did not schedule a mugging either.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
But they do have a right to complain when people move in from out of state who drive up local real estate prices so much that they can no longer afford to live in their own home towns.

No they don’t. People move to places that they can afford and this is the United States of America. Not individual little principalities. What you are trying to deny is economic reality.

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
How is a heat gun used to gain entry to a garage?

Apparently, the heat gun is used to melt a glass pane, that is very commonly in SF garage doors, rather than breaking the glass more noisily, and then a device is then inserted thru the resulting hole to release the door from the mechanism so it can be lifted. And instead of drilling or sawing thru to make the hole.
Thieves have been breaking into garages in SF because even if the garage does not have valuable items to steal, they are connected to the main living area via a doorway which is not usually locked, and the heat gun is apparently a refinement on the basic methodology of entry.

Back to car break-ins...

Last edited:

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
But they do have a right to complain when people move in from out of state who drive up local real estate prices so much that they can no longer afford to live in their own home towns. ...

And complain about that they do even though the majority of home sales are to people already living in Montana. The complainers support free market capitalism until they don't.

And while they don't want new stuff from "out-of-state," there have been traffic jams for that past couple days due to a Chick-fil-A opening in Billings.

Shooter
Multi Format
Apparently, the heat gun is used to melt a glass pane, that is very commonly in SF garage doors, rather than breaking the glass more noisily, and then a device is then inserted thru the resulting hole to release the door from the mechanism so it can be lifted. And instead of drilling or sawing thru to make the hole.
Thieves have been breaking into garages in SF because even if the garage does not have valuable items to steal, they are connected to the main living area via a doorway which is not usually locked, and the heat gun is apparently a refinement on the basic methodology of entry.

Back to car break-ins...

We live in a gated 55+ community in an NJ area that is fairly safe from burglaries. However, the druggies get into cars left on people's driveways anyway, many of whom never lock the car doors. We always lock our cars in the garage. Fortunately, I haven't heard of garage break-ins in our community or burglaries. But hey ya never know. We do have a burglar alarm system that's monitored from a central station alarm company in California, of all places.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Went out to eat. Even with the football game on the restaurants were busy.

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
You're thinking of that foreign fuztball thing they do.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Who uses a round ball for anything anymore? Basketball and volleyball maybe. Baseballs are too covered with chewing tobacco spit to tell. But even my tires are looking deflated; and even lenses are getting aspherical.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Huss - I'm in NorCal. For us, SoCal - L.A. itself, IS the sprawl enemy, just like for Montana etc. That's why the border atop the Grapevine pass should be strictly enforced, and passports mandated .... But LA is certainly welcome to annex Bakersfield and it's commuters, and the border fence can skirt around that instead. Then you'll finally have some actual cultural background, like Merle Haggard ! (How does a Canadian moderator make sense out of all of this?).

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Huss - I'm in NorCal. For us, SoCal - L.A. itself, IS the sprawl enemy, just like for Montana etc. That's why the border atop the Grapevine pass should be strictly enforced, and passports mandated .... But LA is certainly welcome to annex Bakersfield and it's commuters, and the border fence can skirt around that instead. Then you'll finally have some actual cultural background, like Merle Haggard ! (How does a Canadian moderator make sense out of all of this?).

Some say that Montana winters are as sort of wall of their own. After all, when it was -22F a month ago one morning (-54F with wind chill) some hop on Zillow and start looking for someplace warmer. Next week's morning will be near -5F. Me, a former Southern Californian, find them invigorating.

BTW, the "sprawl" here is pretty much limited to Bozeman and, a bit, to Missoula. There is lots of empty spaces between our 5 major cities. Head out to Lavina and enjoy the view.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
If you want to see a real baseball game, you need to get way out in the country where people drive an hour or two on tiny winding roads just to play or attend. I was the only white kid on the Res team; and as per the adult version, the Res team had only one white guy too - the pitcher - who was rated no. 3 in the entire US per softball leagues. The rest of the team was often literally passed out inebriated, lying flat on the bases, and literally dragged back during innings, with a bucket of cold water thrown on them just prior to being up to bat. But they won almost every time anyway, due to that pitcher. And what an uproar! Only the local rodeos were better.

And the Res basketball team - well, that was really something. They beat semi-pro exhibition teams. The high school team, from a population base of only a few hundred, came in no.2 in the State championship, behind only East LA. But not one of them got a scholarship or NBA offer. The star player was only 5'6". Their center was a white guy 6' 6", who washed our windows at home; and he did get drafted into the NBA.

How did we get from SF to this? No Hwy 5 yet; so it took at least 6 hrs driving past hwy 99 orange juice stands, since air-conditioning in cars wasn't yet, yet. I could draw a map; but anyone from Portland would default to a navigation device, and get utterly lost. (Don't take it too seriously - my parents and wife were from Portland; I had an uncle who was mayor of adjacent Beaverton; my Great Grandfather pioneered the Tillamook cheese area after surviving the Civil War; and my step-Grandfather engineered much of the cheese factory. I stayed there with my Grandmothers during wonderful childhood summers).

Last edited:

takilmaboxer

Shooter
Med. Format RF
Is it true you can get rich growing dental floss in Montana?
Here in New Mexico, it's the folks from Texas that are widely hated. That is, after they've spent their money in one of our legal dispensaries. New dispensaries going up all the time right along the border with the Texas Republic. Can SF style crime be far behind?

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Huge billboards on the Fwy here advertising "dispensaries" and even Doordash-style personal delivery. But the illegal stuff is still dominant 3 to 1. I imagine last yr's giant forest fire up in Shasta county made everyone in the east of there all the way to the Canary Islands, or even Portugal itself, high. Biggest problem is all the hazardous illegal pesticides and herbicides that get into the State water supply from the innumerable illegal grow operations. But now other States are recognizing the "tax benefits", and deciding to gamble with the same same dicey experiment. Certified growers just can't compete with the lower overhead and larger number of bullets of the Cartels. But any blue collar union still does mandatory drug testing regardless, due to the interaction of insurance rates and equipment accident risk being stoned. So at least everything here in CA hasn't gone up in smoke yet!

And why bother driving to SF when every option of "best" sourdough is delivered hot and fresh by dawn on this side of the Bay too, and often several times a day, plus our own bread meccas like Acme. But for big bakery sourdough, I'll take Boudin any day of the week. This side of the Bay, Acme.

Last edited:

wiltw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Is it true you can get rich growing dental floss in Montana?
Here in New Mexico, it's the folks from Texas that are widely hated. That is, after they've spent their money in one of our legal dispensaries. New dispensaries going up all the time right along the border with the Texas Republic. Can SF style crime be far behind?

Garage door breakins have been publicized in different parts of the country, and articles have existed on the problem, and how to prevent the methodology in your own home. I found an article/video back 6 years ago. 'SF style crime' like this actually started elsewhere!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom