Interpretations of a negative

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by dlin, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you! =) If you are referring to my last post, Skunk Run Falls, the developer was Rodinal (Adox Adonal). I've found at very high dilutions, changing the time brings up the shadows more than the highlights and changing the dilution brings down the highlights more than the shadows.

I've gotten away from stand development for a variety of reasons but that is another issue which has been discussed to no end here on APUG. =)

2. aruns

aruns Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Shawn,
    Thank you and yes, I was referring to the Skunk Run Falls post.
    You make two very interesting observations here on the relationship between developer dilution, time, and shadow/highlights.
    I am very curious about your other experiences and observations with Rodinal, such as this. If you have posted them anywhere, please do share the link.
    Also, if you aren't doing stand, may I ask you what approach you use these days.

Thanks,
    Arun

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arun,
    I sent you a PM with some additional information. =)
    Shawn

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm quite keen on PCAT for semistand development, but YMMV.

5. Oscar Carlsson

Oscar Carlsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Time to contribute to this thread!

Picture taken in Porto, Portugal during a business trip there early 2015. I really wanted a picture of the stonework on the facades, so I went up early one Saturday morning to shoot it. The contrast was pretty high, I used (for some reason...) #8 filter and development was normal. The contrast in the negative is pretty high.

First proof, trying to have some coverage in the shadows, using the #00 filter.

2015-09-01-0001.jpg

Pre-flash, two cut out masks and several stages of burn-ins with a card resulted in this:

2015-09-01-0003.jpg

The print is on old, expired and fogged Ilford MGIV FB but the print came out anyways. I've toned it in sepia and framed it since scanning it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.