Instax Mini Film fits 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Film Holders!

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by ic-racer, Dec 14, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, good observation; you can put the pod end in to the 6x9 holder first and then the flap will close without modification. The image will be a off center, but no modification of the film holder is needed. Then one could decide if it is worthwhile to cut the flap and load them the other way to center the image.

2. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've ordered a 20 pack of Instax film and am looking forward to trying this out in my Century Graphic with an assortment of lenses.

Question: Lacking an Instax or old Polaroid camera as a processor, do you feel it's possible to lay the exposed sheet of Instax on a counter top and using an artists roller (or small rolling pin) to break the capsule and spread the developer?

3. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the rollers have to press together pretty tight to spread the chemicals. Maybe look for a surplus conventional Polaroid back to get the roller assembly. You can tape the instax to some paper and pull it through.

4. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes ic-racer is correct.
    Tried it, does not give an even development..Investigating on the internet, could find no one who had success trying it several different ways.
    Was hoping it would work, so we could get some Instax wide, which is much wider, at the end with the chemicals, than Polaroid 600 film. But it would work with the Instax mini film.

5. mattfilm

mattfilm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ordered a 2x3 holder a few weeks ago for my RB67 because I love the idea of using instant film with it and cant afford pack film. I just got around to making some not so great scans for anyone that wants to see some results. Haven't quite figured out the best way to scan instant film but this is one of my better photos so far.

6. Nice. I am glad that you found something for your format of choice.

7. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see Hasselblad under your avatar. I don't know if the Instax films will fit in the Hasselblad sheet film holder. Looks like the instructions for the Hasselblad film holder ask one to cut the 2x3 sheet film prior to inserting it in to the film holder. I don't know if Instax film can be cut prior to processing (without making a mess).

8. hsandler

hsandler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a video here showing how to put Instax wide film in 4x5 holders. Note an error in the video: the film needs to be put in the film holder so the back side faces the lens. I'm planning to try this as soon as an Instax wide camera that I can use for processing comes up cheap in my town.

9. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, if you try that let us know how it works. I went with the little Instax films because I wanted to try some hand-held stuff and don't have a 4x5" rangefinder camera.
    I did do an 8x10 on the little Instax films.

Instax 8x10 small.jpg

10. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That looks like a LOT of work. Someone needs to come up with a proper back. Incredibly, some of the Kickstarter/IndieGoGo projects in this direction didn’t meet funding goals...

11. maximumPhoto

maximumPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I look at the Rezivot and wonder what could have been if they had included a simple box/shell to turn it into a pinhole camera whenever you are not using it as a camera back. Their goal was very high though, nearly triple that of the Reflex, and the Lomography cameras, while having a smaller target audience. Making it a complete camera/back hybrid could've helped.

12. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should not take too long to make a plastic adapter like the one shown. Even two sided tape could work. A sheet film ground-glass back is pretty much the 'proper back' for a view camera. You may not have seen it in the video by processing can be done in the daylight using an Instax camera. I can process 10 sheets of the Instax in the time it takes me just to load a Jobo 3010 sheet-film tank.

13. hsandler

hsandler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It works!

[​IMG]Orchid on Instax by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That came out great!

16. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That looks great. Can you share more details. That is, did you buy an Instax camera to use for processing, or did you already have one? Which camera did you get? Any other details to share?

I just did a brief portraiture project and did the some 'proofs' using the little Instax in the 6x9 holder. I used a dark-tent with the Instax camera in the tent to process the films while the subject waited. A little more cumbersome than the old peel-apart packs, but still not unreasonable.

17. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm 100% B&W so I have no stuido lighting appropriate for the Instax color films, so my indoor-non-flash images are yellow, as expected. I see you have color corrected lighting. What kind of lighting did you use (or is this daylight?).

18. hsandler

hsandler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a used Instax 300 for "developing". I actually shot most of a pack with it, and it's more ergonomic than I thought, though still basically a crummy toy camera. If you tape some tissue paper over the flash you can do decent close up exposures. Its shutter and fixed aperture don't allow proper exposure in full sunlight, but auto with flash is good for indoors at 2m distance, which is probably the main use of that camera. The orchid photo was lit with a daylight-balanced fluorescent softbox I have and I did not correct colour, specifically because this was a test run. I only adjusted white and black points globally, not per colour. From the very slight blue-green tint remaining of the paper, I would prefer to balance the highlights a little warmer after scanning. A straight linear reflective scan looks to my eye very much like the print. Overall, the orchid shot is probably 2/3 stop underexposed. This was very close up for the 90mm lens on my Graphic and I was just guessing the bellows extension factor.

19. Dacs

Dacs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, I recently got a hold of an Ek4 but the problem is that it doesn't have a film holder. Any ideas where I can get one? or one that works on it? I'm a rookie on this.
    Thanks in advance

20. OP
    OP
    ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  21. Dacs

Dacs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I wanted to give that a go and see if I could get this working.
    Do I need the pr10 (pr144) film cartridge specificaly or are there other empty film cartridges working on the Kodak ek4? Because I'm having a hard time finding pr10, and the ones I find are about 30$-40$.