Ilford Simplicity - new processing system from Ilford

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pbromaghin, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  2. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak did something similar in the 60's called the Tri-Chem pack and again, with liquid concentrates in the 80's. I think it's a great idea to get folks started.

4. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, great product to get newcomers into processing b&w film. 600ml is a common size for Vitamin Water ,Gator aid etc. Fear of the unknown is an issue with processing for newbies. Should come with a thermometer.

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I knew that distilled water was much more expensive in other countries than it typically is in the US. That translates to $1.09 USD/liter. I buy it for 0.88/ GALLON at Wal-Mart. It's slightly more expensive, maybe a dollar or so per gallon, at Kroger but if I need some and happen to be at Kroger I'll get it there as the difference is utterly trivial.

I mix all developers with distilled water as well as final rinse, but of course that's easier at US prices.

6. David Allen

David Allen Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    "The only real addition is the distilled water which (a) requires distilled water to be purchased which many people may consider unnecessary and an added expensive in both time and money."

Obviously the use of distilled water is dependent upon your local water supply. Here in Berlin tap water is generally excellent. However, my darkroom is in a building that was formerly the laboratory for a gas works. This is long gone but the water flows through pipes laid when the gas works was working. I have two water filters on my water supply and they turn red/brown within days of being installed - hence my use of distilled water for mixing chemical from raw ingredients and for the final wash. I have no idea how much this costs in other countries but in Germany it costs 1,99€ for 5 litres in any of the big hardware chain stores and a maximum of 4,99€ for 5 litres if bought at a petrol station. This is a price I am well happy to pay given the quality of the water in my darkroom.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over here in most towns it is available for 30€cent per Liter. But why should I schlepp around 5L containers (there is life without cars) if I can have water from the tap? Using destilled water for the final rinse is something different, but one could reduce the volume easily.

8. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sure that Ilford has analyzed the market before it was decided to offer this particular product.
    I remember Ilford's oline survey some times ago.
    There will be a market for it - apparently there are still 'newcommers' in film-based photography or even those who use and develope sporadically.
    Personally, I do not see much demand for myself - even though I occasionally bought some Tetenal products -for special purpose- in smaller packaging units (like (mentioned by AgX above).
    --
    Exactly - good luck Ilford!

9. kevs

kevs Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a nice idea from Ilford and I hope it makes film more attractive and a little easier for beginners. Surely Ilford could perfect a monobath developer though, to save all that sloshing about of chemicals and wearing of blue marigolds. Then they need to perfect the self-loading developing tank, the automatic, spot-free film dryer and the pocket-sized automatic neg cutter/sleever... :D

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Koddak once offered a monobath developer.

A monobath developer best would be offered as kit with an apt film.

11. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty interesting product really. Good for people with limited room, just starting out with film developing, or someone who develops film infrequently. It's success I think depends on how they price it.

It certainly is a convenient all in one solution for someone just starting out though.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good for people with limited room? I do not see that point.
    Quite some developers are sold in small bottles of about 100ml, same for fixer and wetting agent, they all could be storerd in the beakers. Pure acetic acid likely is in the house anyway. If the bottles could not be stored in the beakers, chosing beakers not stackable would form a much larger storage problem.

By the way, as Ilford advises the process to be single-use, one could do it with just one beaker!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. jawarden

jawarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you're right, a product aimed at the first time home developer. Perhaps that same customer would repeat use of this kit a few times and then switch to larger quantities when ready for the commitment of storing them. Getting that first time under your belt is liberating and gives you confidence, so whatever they can do to get that process started will help their bottom line.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. John51

John51 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The containers seem over engineered to me. Meaning more cost to the end user. Cafes have sachets of vinegar so why not photo chems in a simple, ie. cheap, sachet?

16. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking the ilford products are essentially an in and an out. You buy it when you're ready to develop your one or two rolls of film. You bring it home, use it the same day, and everything is discarded at the end of the process. There's nothing to store at any point.
    Now if you're buying a small kit, likely that kit of small 100ml bottles will do more than just two rolls so at the end of the day you have something that will be kept in your house.
    It's just a small point though. A small development kit doesn't take up that much space. However, watch a youtube video on jay schaeffers tiny home movement, or a Tokyo micro apartment and it might make a difference to those people.

17. mitrajoon

mitrajoon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, I don't get this. While I'm happy to see Ilford working on bringing new users into film, I have two issues.
    First, a simple monobath or a two step, e.g., Rodinal & TF-4 process is as simple and the chemicals are re-usable. Which brings me to my second issue. This system is as incredibly ECO unfriendly as you can get. One use then you pour the chemicals down the drain and throw away 4 non-recyclable plastic containers in the trash. Again, after one use for every roll or two of film. I'm not a tree hugger, but this seems appalling.

18. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this is a good solution if you only want to process two rolls of film every once in a while. But at $20 for two rolls of film it is expensive. Probably no way around that with the packaging costs.

19. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love the idea of a monobath developer, in a simple satchel. Now that would be very useful for on the road.

20. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wish someone would do the same thing for C41 and E6!

21. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak not only offered kits like this for film and paper, but they were also color and B&W.

The nice thing here is to see them using Stop Bath. For those who don't, get over it! :D

PE

22. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Safety and mailing regulations? ??

23. Wallendo

Wallendo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I started developing at home, I remember going through a long process of choosing supplies. Although a kit like this would be somewhat helpful, my main debates were metal vs plastic reels, which dark bag, which storage containers, which thermometer, which graduated cylinders, etc..

I initiallt wondered if this would be useful for travel. I already carry a dark bag, just in case, but would only need to add a measuring cup, tank, reels, clips and storage sleeves.

If Ilford is really trying to bring in new users for home development, they should probably sell this kit in a bundle with a Paterson tank, thermometer, and plastic beaker of some sort.

24. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good idea, Wallendo.

25. David Allen

David Allen Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I know from my students that such things as the new Ilford offer or Fotoimpex's starter kits (https://www.fotoimpex.com/analog-starter-kits/fotoimpex-starter-kit-film-basic.html?cache=1544129440) do a great deal to get new people interested in analogue photography. Having been 'bitten by the bug' they then come to me for more detailed instruction.

It is all about getting new people into the 'analogue family' and this is beneficial for all of us who want to keep working this way.

Bests,

David.
    ww.dsallen.de

26. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amen!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.