Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Medium Format
hi! So I have found a safelight glass from Ilford at a market. 10x8 and marked Ilford Safelight “S”
Anyone know if this is equivalent to S1?? I can’t find any glass listed with just S. Thanks xx

OP
OP
Doylefotografix
Shooter
Medium Format
yes Light brown it is. Obviously gonna do the tests before using but it gives out a very useable light in my darkroom

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Ilford_Safelights.html

BTW, the Ilford safelight filters I've seen were gelatin sandwiched between glass. They can fade over time, and should be tested to make sure they still work.[/QUOTE]
Hi
There's this, which suggests it's a 902:

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Ilford_Safelights.html

BTW, the Ilford safelight filters I've seen were gelatin sandwiched between glass. They can fade over time, and should be tested to make sure they still work.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've never had a Safelight filter fade, I'm sure they can but the wattage used is so low it would take decades :D

The 902 is the one Ilford recommend for MG papers, it's also the one they use in the cutting room at Mobberley although at a very much lower intensity than a normal darkroom, as many will remember from factory visits.

Ian

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have seen Kodak Wratten safelight filters fade, and sometimes craze. I suspect these filters were used in standard lamp housings but with larger lamps in larger darkrooms. They are a sandwich construction also.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
We should not forget that there also is thermal stress on these filters installed in luminaires with incandescent lamps.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
In the old days, when people did things like smoke while doing darkroom work, there were even more things that could be wrong with safelight filters.
One should also not forget that safelights spend a lot of time illuminated by normal room light - from the front. They are also used in what may sometimes be warm and humid environments. They can, indeed, change over time.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom