Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
kallofront.JPG
kallofull.JPG
kalloside.JPG

I've entered the extremely rarified air of Kalloflex ownership. :D And despite the looks, it works! Some new leatherette and it'll be in fine shape again. And you can't see the sides anyway when its in the leather case, which is in great shape. Unfortunately there are no lens caps and I doubt I'll find any.

The lens pics make it look like there's a rummage sale of scratches but in fact there are none. I think the strap from my point n shoot bounced and reflected around in there because the lenses are pretty clean.

So, for the 1 or 2 of you who also own one of these pups, what should be in that hole next to the wind lever? You can actually see the gears moving when you turn the lever, which can't be a good thing.

The design on this thing is spectacular! Brilliant! I've seen it described as "a beast" but I think its lighter than my C330. I can tell this will quickly become a favorite.

Trask

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Pretty nifty! I like way the designer put film advance and focusing on the right hand like that — I can see that an experienced user could advance and focus very quickly. Post some photos when you get a chance.

macfred

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Pretty nifty! I like way the designer put film advance and focusing on the right hand like that — I can see that an experienced user could advance and focus very quickly. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Another thing I looooove is the aperture, shutter speed, and film counter are all visible from above!! No more checking the front or side of the damn camera!

Chrismat

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hey Wayne,
Hello from another Kalloflex owner! The hole next to the winder is supposed to be the double exposure release switch: From the manual: 'Intentional double exposures are possible. To reset the shutter without advancing the film, push down the release button at the back of Focusing knob and turn the crank counterclockwise (backward) one full turn.'
It's a great camera, mine needs a little work, most of the time the winder doesn't stop at the next frame, I have to carefully watch the counter, but it takes great photos!

Chris

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
Looks good. I wouldn't trust that strap, though.

Does the camera have a red window to count frames? If not, maybe that opening near the wind lever is for a frame counter mechanism.

macfred

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
From the legacycamera link I posted above (may be important for you) : .''..If one is to use the 1/500’th shutter speed setting, it must be set before advancing the film ...''
Butkus has the full manual.

OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Looks good. I wouldn't trust that strap, though.

Does the camera have a red window to count frames? If not, maybe that opening near the wind lever is for a frame counter mechanism.

Good point on the strap, I'm sure that's very fragile.

The frame counter is on top. You only need to move your eyeballs to see that and the exposure settings. Its a freaking awesome setup.

OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Guess I need to McGiver a double exposure button, though I rare do doubles. Thanks Chris!

Kino

Shooter
Multi Format
Nifty! These puppies are rather expensive on "that" auction site! Looks like a real well built camera...

Dan Daniel

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I lost my first Rolleicord when the leather strap on a case broke. Dropped to the concrete and never worked again.Don't trust that leather one inch.

The 'center to center' measurement of a Rollei lens cap is 42mm, or 1-21/32". Measure from one point on the lower bayonet to the same point on the upper bayonet to see if it matches. This is also the distance for YashicaMats and Minolta Autocords if you go searching for an aftermarket cap- easy to find.

That bayonet setup also allows for an outer lens hood and filters on the inner ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
It appears to be significantly longer center to center than the Rollei. I''d say its at least 45-46 mm

macfred

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
I lost my first Rolleicord when the leather strap on a case broke.

I pulled with modest pressure on the strap and it snapped. I cut it off and threw it away. I remeasured and maybe it will take the Rollie lenscap. I guess its supposed to.

They have leatherette at cameraleather.com, but it isn't the best match. It may be my only option though, as I'm not turning up many others.
But I loaded a roll of Ektar and will do some shooting while I mull it over. Since I think I'll use the case a lot I'm not sure I need to rush into leathering it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Darn. The shutter is knackered. It was working at first, and worked through the first roll, but then it went tits up and doesn't open when I trip it. $175 for a CLA alone, so I might have a fine looking paperweight.

Pentode

Shooter
Multi Format
It appears to be significantly longer center to center than the Rollei.
Actually only slightly longer. My Rollei and Yashica covers are just a little too short to fit my Kallo. I keep meaning to order an El-Cheapo plastic cap from the auction site for mine. The odds of finding an actual Kowa cap are even slimmer than finding a Kalloflex in the first place! And yes, the filters are Bay 1.

The shutter on mine is slow but working. I haven't gotten around to trying naphtha yet. Too many other cameras to tinker with right now.

OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
The shutter seems to trip, but doesnt open. Its not slow, it just doesnt open at all and yet you have to recock it after tripping it. It sounds almost like its set on a super fast shutter speed, but it definitely isn't opening even for 1/500th. Never had that happen on a camera before.

Kino

Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah, your shutter blades have glued themselves down. Try naptha with a qtip after taking out front and rear lens cells. Use sparingly, swab gently. Alternate with 99% alcohol and be patient. Might take a day or a week of periodic cleaning for it to free up...

OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Yeah, your shutter blades have glued themselves down. Try naptha with a qtip after taking out front and rear lens cells. Use sparingly, swab gently. Alternate with 99% alcohol and be patient. Might take a day or a week of periodic cleaning for it to free up...

Sounds like the same thing I need to do to this 1951 Royal typewriter I jut scored for $2.00

Kino

Shooter
Multi Format
Sounds like the same thing I need to do to this 1951 Royal typewriter I jut scored for $2.00

Poor guy; you collect typewriters like me too!

I have thinned my herd to 4 now; once had about 20. Got a mint, Olympia SM-4 with cursive type for $8 a few weeks ago. Just ordered some new ribbons!

OP
OP

Wayne

Shooter
Large Format
Poor guy; you collect typewriters like me too!

I have thinned my herd to 4 now; once had about 20. Got a mint, Olympia SM-4 with cursive type for $8 a few weeks ago. Just ordered some new ribbons!

I sure hope i don't collect them, lol. I may be in a high risk group but this is my first and only manual typewriter. I probably will get 2 or 3 more eventually just to find out which ones I like for actual use. But my goal is just to type, not collect. Writing is cheaper than photography.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom