How often do you use multiple film backs?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rayonline_nz, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JonPorter

JonPorter Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only shoot B&W in my 120 cameras and have no need to change films mid-roll. For my RB67 I have a 6x7 and 6x6 back and use whichever one is most appropriate for my subject, reloading at the end of each roll. With my Bronica 6x6 and Mamiya 645 Pro I only have one back for each camera but multiple film inserts, which are faster to change than backs. That way I can shoot several rolls of film before I have to reload.

2. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Mamiya Press kit has at least 3 backs plus one on the camera

3. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since I can't get 220 anymore I always carry two A12 backs and an A16 for 645 on occasion. I'm still hanging on to my A24 in hopes that 220 will make a comeback, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aside from the ability to switch film types or zone exposures during a given outing, multiple backs are handy if the camera happens to have B&W in it but you'd like do some color or vice-versa. You can just pull the loaded back off the camera, put it away for another time and load up with what fits your ad hoc desire.

For most casual users, it's not an essential feature, but it is a "nice to have".

5. cobbu2

cobbu2 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still have a fair amount of frozen 220 Plus-X around, so for my Bronicas a 220 back has that uploaded, plus 120 backs with either TX/TMY and/or Ektar.

I love using 220, I too wish it would make some kind of comeback in B&W.

6. rubbernglue

rubbernglue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For my Bronica's (model 'S' and 'EC-TL') I have several backs and there are typically high/low iso or b&w/color, and I switch quite regularly in that case.
    Often I bring an extra empty mag and a different film if I think I might want it.

7. moto-uno

moto-uno Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ^ "JonPorter " , how is it that you find changing inserts on your Bronica easier than changing preloaded backs ? Peter

8. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually use 3 A12 backs all loaded with HP-5. 1 back for N, one for N-1, and one for N+1. I do use an A24 with 220 B&W. Now that I have some fresh 70mm Double perf B&W film I'll be using my two A70 backs again.

9. xtolsniffer

xtolsniffer Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep trying to persuade myself to stick with one film, then get tempted to try other things. In my RB kit I have backs loaded with HP5+, Delta 3200, Portra 160 and Velvia.

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I have multiple film backs that I use, but I use them one photograph at a time.

11. Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shooting multiple backs with different B&W films is a great way to quickly see the subtle differences between them. Usually I will take out three backs or so with similar speeds. Not always, but a fair amount of the time.

Last time out, it was Ilford FP4+, Foma Retropan Soft 320, and J lane 6.5x9cm dry plates. Shooting these three I think of as a form of "bracketing"

Actually I got this idea long ago looking at the work of Hans Neleman. He would do elaborate 8x10 still lifes, and then shoot them with three or four types of color film. Then he would have a choice of rendition after the fact.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  12. moto-uno

moto-uno Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ^ That's a habit that could get kinda pricey today :smile: , Peter

13. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably not much different than before. Shooting 8x10 film has never been cheap.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CropDusterMan

CropDusterMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With my RZ gear and Hassie, I had several backs for each camera...most important thing is to
    label each one permanently and then the film rolls you ran through it...helps you track down
    problems quickly.

16. LeftCoastKid

LeftCoastKid Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I almost always have several loaded A12 backs at the ready. As a matter of habit/preference two will be loaded with PanF+, two with E100G, and two with Tri-X/HP5+.

17. JonPorter

JonPorter Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't have to deal with dark slides and film inserts are cheaper than buying a complete back. But yeah, since the insert forms part of the back on Bronicas, it's not quite as convenient as the Mamiya 645.

18. filmamigo

filmamigo Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon Porter has the right idea. I have wanted to find one of those Bronica belt clips and fill it with loaded inserts for my SQ-A. The Bronica back pops open quickly and you can drop in the loaded insert, avoiding all of the time-consuming part (which is threading a new roll of film onto the insert.)

Normally I carry two or three backs with me, allowing an easy switch between two speeds of film (Acros in one, Tri-x at 1250 in another) once the daylight goes away. The third back will have a second roll of whichever film I am shooting most at the moment.

19. Ricochetrider

Ricochetrider Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I, too, use 2 different film backs for my 500cm. So far it's been one for color and one for B&W, but I like the idea of using 2 different speeds. EDIT: shoot for pleasure only, not pro.

20. Kiruna69

Kiruna69 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I always bring two backs with b&w film if I go out for a full day of hiking and photography - or if I go on a trip for 2-3 days with full camping gear.
    One back with either Ilford PanF plus, FP4+, Delta 100 or Fujifilm Acros, and one back with Ilford HP5+ or Delta 400. And sometimes also an extra empty back. I bring a few rolls of Portra 160 and/or 400 and if I want to shoot color I load that third back.

If I go out for a few hours to shoot I just load one back and don't bring anything extra. And most of the time only one film; 10 shots :smile:
    And sometimes I just grab the camera with the film that is already loaded in the back...This is what i like most...one camera, one lens, one film. Use it regardless of the conditions and try to get something good out of the 10 frames.

21. moto-uno

moto-uno Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ^ Just curious what camera you get out hiking with ? Peter

22. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Rolleiflex 6008i. I don't hike for more than a half dozen miles or so or anything too strenuous. I think in New Zealand they call it walking.

23. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The question was obviously not direct to me. Sorry.

24. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have covered the main reason for owning and using removable magazines. The ability to have two different speed films, quickly available, while shooting.......Regards!

25. moto-uno

moto-uno Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ^^ Well I gotta tell you that's still a distance to be carrying around one of those cameras ! Peter

26. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Medium format cameras that don't accept multiple film backs are useless to me. For black and white, I have a different film back for each development. (N, N+1, etc.) If I alternatively want to photograph in color, then I might have a back for color negative, color transparency, or both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.