How often do you use multiple film backs?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rayonline_nz, Dec 20, 2018.

1. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many medium format cameras have interchangeable film cassette backs. How often do you guys use this feature?

For myself not often really. If I was doing a trip away, maybe a color and a black and white in the other but most of the time I just use one. I am also not shooting so often that I need the same type of film loaded into 2 or more backs.

Cheers

2. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would use 2 backs on my Hassy gear. Sometimes a 3rd back with high speed.

3. Ai Print

Ai Print Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have and use about a dozen 12 exposure backs and a 50MP D back, all used for work.

4. John Galt

John Galt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Hasselblad V series system, I use 3 magazines when traveling. One loaded with Tri-X for 50- 70% of my photography, one loaded with Ilford PanF + for that which lends itself to longer B&W exposures and finer detail , and finally . . . . one loaded with Fuji Provia,when color is needed.

5. neilt3

neilt3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Bronica ETRSi , ETRS and a Kiev 88 with several film backs loaded with different film in it .
    Usually either Ilford Pan F or Ilford FP4 in one , Ilford HP5 in another , Rollei Infrared in another and either Kodak Portra 160 or Kodak Extar 100 .
    For the Bronica I also have the two 135 film backs in both the standard frame and panoramic ( wide) backs .

I tour around in my camper van a lot so would have all with me , before I set of walking for the day I tend to have an idea what I'll be doing and take the relevant kit and backs with me along with some spare film .

6. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When photographing Events eg Weddings or Stage shows, you do not have time to load a new film, having 2 or more backs pre-loaded is the way to go. One of my cameras is a Bronica ETRSi fitted with a motor drive and is the one that that I normally use for this activity.

When photographing in a studio situation the ability to change from colour to black and white, during a shoot is very useful, one of my cameras is a Bronica GS-1 as well as changing films you can change formats as well :- I have a 645 Back as well as a 6x6 back and a 6x7 back

My Rollie SL66 also will take Cut sheet film as well as a standard 6x6 rollfilm back,

I have a Polaroid back for each camera as well but with NO More Polaroid film they are not being used.

The interchangeable back feature is one of the things sets a Medium format System camera apart from all other cameras

Johnkpap

7. OP
    OP
    rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those of you who used it for work, do you also use multiple film backs with your own personal use? I just shoot for pleasure and fortunate don't have to stress with weddings.

8. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When going to shoot something specific, one is plenty. When going on a road trip, I'll load a bunch, usually with different film in each. So I probably only load more than one film holder twice a year.

9. Truzi

Truzi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Most of the time I use my GS-1 I use at least two backs. Probably only because I can... it's my first "real" medium format camera, so I might as well play with all the features it has.

10. Ai Print

Ai Print Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't do weddings. I also use the system for pleasure so I usually have at least a spare back with with me in considering a different speed or type of film. For example, Pan-F and Tmax 400 or IR400 and Acros 100.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    All the time:
    Kodak Tri-X 400
    Kodak Portra 400
    Kodak UltraColor 400
    Kodak VividColor
    Rollei IR 400
    several others​

12. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually carry multiple backs of film so I can quickly replace a used roll of film with a fresh roll.

I also like to carry multiple backs so I can change films in the middle of a roll.

I could change from black & white to color but I primarily shoot only black & white with my Mamiya RB67. I like being able to change from one film speed to another.

I use the following eight film backs with my RB67:
    back #1 Ilford HP5 Plus (ISO 400)
    back #2 Ilford HP5 Plus (ISO 400)
    back #3 defective (use only for parts)
    back #4 FomaPan (ISO 100)
    back #5 FomaPan (ISO 100)
    back #6 Ilford Delta Pro (ISO 3200)
    back #7 Ilford Delta Pro (ISO 3200)
    back #8 Ilford HP5 Plus (ISO 400)

[​IMG]
    Film Backs
    by Narsuitus, on Flickr

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Followers of the Zone System like to have multiple backs for handling situations where there is a great difference in contrast. One back would be film exposed in low contrast environments, another for normal contrast, and another for high contrast. This allows the film in each back to be developed accordingly.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. abruzzi

abruzzi Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Day-to-day, not often, but when I traveled this summer, three backs—tmax, ektar, and velvia—was a great.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frequently, but not regularly.
    I often have Ektachrome in one 120 back, and a black and white Kodak film in another. But sometimes one of those backs will remain unused, while the other has more than one film run through it.
    In my case, Mamiya 645 Pro and Mamiya RB67.
    I certainly have had situations where the film in my Mamiya C330 is different than the one I want to shoot.

17. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would but an extra back for my camera is a bit pricey so I stick with one for now and use the money for film instead...

18. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always have two backs loaded with a fast and a slow film for the RB67... or a conventional and an IR.

19. GLS

GLS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Routinely with the Hasselblad. Two backs with different speeds and/or B&W and colour. A third back would be overkill for my needs most of the time.

20. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While I usually shoot square, sometimes I shoot 645, so I have several backs for each format. Rather than change film midstream, I load several backs with same BW film. For color, i shoot reversal. For the past several years I have been replacing my almost 60 yr now failing remnants of my long defunct 1000F with A backs.

21. jwd722

jwd722 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just for personal work...RB67, one with HP5, one with Kodak Ektar and a Graflex RH/12 (square format) with Tri-X. I use the Graflex the most.

22. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    I use only 35 mm and don't have interchangeable backs, and although I have five bodies I only carry one at a time, because I can't think in monochcrome and colour at the same time

23. Nokton48

Nokton48 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My fun personal cameras are old Plaubel Makinas and Makiflexes. Often I will shoot two or three kinds of film , if it is a strong enough subject in front of me. I think of this as a form of "bracketing", and very easy to do if I am working from a tripod (which I prefer to do).

[​IMG]6x9cm Plaubel Film Magazines All Loaded by Nokton48, on Flickr

24. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I regularly use 2-3 backs for landscapes with my Hasselblad to be able to do Zone -system work.

25. msage

msage Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Often, I don't shoot color but usually have a back loaded with Tri-X, one with Tmax400 and one with infrared.

26. Jim Andrada

Jim Andrada Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a Mamiya 645 AFD. I use TMax 400 in one back and a digital back for color since my Jobo died and my local lab dropped C41 processing. As soon as I get the Jobo up and running again I'll probably go back to Ektar 100 for most things. Similarly I only have one back for the Hasselblad CM500 but will get a second back once the Jobo is repaired and load it with Ektar 100. I like having 100 and 400 speed films available as well as the option of color or B&W

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.