Good First Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by BySumbergsStache, May 27, 2016.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For clarity, I have six different enlarging lenses (50mm, 60mm, 80mm, 90mm, 105mm 150mm) and nine different negative carriers (135, 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 4x5 glassless, 4x5 glass carrie, 6x6 speed glass carrier, 135 speed glassless carrier) for my D6. Each of the lenses has the matched lens plate. Every single lens and every single carrier would work in that enlarger. If my recollection is correct (but don't hold me to this), the condensers shown in the pictures would be sufficient to cover all those formats as well.

2. comabereni

comabereni Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Great info and suggestions, thanks. I can appreciate that it is a time-tested and widely adopted model that was almost certainly manufactured recently from the looks of it (though I do appreciate and collect vintage analog stuff), and that it appears to be easy to maintain in the USA. I'm pursuing black and white with no solid plans for color, but it's nice to know I would have that as an option with this purchase.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if that is an autofocus enlarger ( like the V in the d3V ) those enlargers often times
    require cams for bellows to extend/ compress while moving up and down the focus track
    and lens cones for the lenses to mount on. im clueless of models bigger than the d3v or other than the e.

there is also info on the omega system here:
    http://classic-enlargers.com or http://web.archive.org/web/20141216221931/http://classic-enlargers.com
    ( just in case the site is missing some key stuff harry passed away a few years ago )

i use what were called "auxiliary focusing cones"
    made for doing jewel / wallet prints. its a lens cone that is a bellows so you can adjust it to match any of the cones
    you might not want to buy or you have trouble finding. sometimes this stuff can be hard to locate ..
    cones and tracks seem like they swap from enlarger to enlarger but sometimes they don't ...

4. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I did not look at the photos as carefully as I should have, it is not a dichroic head. Nonetheless it lookeds solid.
    In the last few years I have purchased 2 complete Beseler 4x5 enlargers with dichro heads on CL for less than $150. But I don't see those deals anymore. That Omega looks like a great place to start.

5. comabereni

comabereni Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Indeed, the bottom dollar deals are probably drying up a bit now that the mainstream switch to digital has happened and lots of older equipment has already been sold off or tossed, combined with renewed interest in traditional photography (and other things from the pre-digital age). It would be great if this enlarger does everything I need for $150, but I have a metal lathe, milling machine, a sheet metal brake, and a sewing machine if I have to resort to fabricating something. I agree though, it does look solid from where I'm sitting. I appreciate all of the replies and advice. I'm leaning toward purchasing unless I see something horribly wrong or obviously missing when I see it in person.

6. comabereni

comabereni Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The easy part is over-- I bought it. It came with a 135mm F5.6 Komuranon-E lens and a negative carrier. $150. Some of the movements are stiff like it needs a good lube, but otherwise appears to be in good shape and with all of the pieces. Now to clean it up, mount it, align it, and take it for a spin. Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    used enlargers are dirt cheap these days and less and usually used on any enlarger, I suggest to get a used Durst enlarger and a brand-name six-element enlarger lens. As with cameras, put your money into the lenses and upgrade the enlarger as you go to your needs.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I am partial to Omega enlargers. I used the Chromega Dichroic II 5D-XL at Kodak and when I returned to the west coast I bought one for my darkroom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.