Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Almost one year ago to the day I was trying different methods to get FB paper flat (RC has never been an issue). I still dry FB papers by hanging them at one corner w/ a clothes pin in the bathroom.

You know, it works really well, and the papers have a gentle curve towards the emulsion side w/ no wavy edges. The main thing is to let them dry as slowly as possible. When they're dry, they go under some books and come out flat as the RC papers a few days later.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I take the FB and PC papers off my drum dryer and lay them flat to finish drying and cool. Using a drum dryer solves most of the flatness problems.

logan2z

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I still dry FB papers by hanging them at one corner w/ a clothes pin in the bathroom.
I assume that leaves a permanent 'dent' in the paper.

Not that this applies to me, but I would think that could be an issue when selling a print.

Philippe-Georges

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Almost one year ago to the day I was trying different methods to get FB paper flat (RC has never been an issue). I still dry FB papers by hanging them at one corner w/ a clothes pin in the bathroom.

You know, it works really well, and the papers have a gentle curve towards the emulsion side w/ no wavy edges. The main thing is to let them dry as slowly as possible. When they're dry, they go under some books and come out flat as the RC papers a few days later.
How do you do that?

I tried that hanging method different times with even different FB papers, and never ever achieved 'manageable' results. All the sheets curled, towards the emulsion side, in a way I had to wet them again so at least I could have a look at the images.

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Someone like Bob Carnie might and he dries his fiber prints emulsion side down:

I do it because the prints dry significantly flatter that way and are then much easier to completely flatten in a dry mount press.

I haven't seen any signs of the screen pattern transferring to my prints, but you obviously have and I've heard of other cases in which this has happened too. Maybe as you suggested, it depends on the screen material and how tautly it is stretched, which could affect how much contact there is between the screen and the emulsion during the drying process.

You may have read my complaint before (there’s probably no “others”). As far as I know, I am the only one with bug mesh screens. It just happened to be the material I had on hand when I made them.

Philippe-Georges

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You may have read my complaint before (there’s probably no “others”). As far as I know, I am the only one with bug mesh screens. It just happened to be the material I had on hand when I made them.

Polyester bug screens here too, dry the carefully wiped prints emulsion down, no problems at all and the flattest result!
But, I systematically thoroughly clean the screens with warm water and a little bit of an enzyme resolving detergent added to it to get rid of the emulsion's gelatine leftovers...

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom