FX39 II Adox... with FP4 or ACROS 35mm.. ?

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

jtk

Shooter
35mm
I'm in receipt from Freestyle of a tiny bottle of Adox FX39 II (FX39-2) ...

Please share your experiences with FP4 or ACROS, especially for 35mm, especially when scanned.

Perhaps you've compared to a particular dilution of Rodinal (e.g. 1+50). Steel tank & reel.

I've yet to use it but tentatively plan to follow Adox bottled German instructions after some October travels.

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I dont like rodinal much for 35mm. Fine for medium and LF .
Fp4 is more forgiving especially if there are highlights to deal with.
My personal preference would be for 35mm to use fp4 @ 80 iso in d76 for outdoors and acros for in doors and low light, especially for long exposures.
Really best to shoot a couple of rolls of each yourself and see what you like.

OP
OP
jtk

jtk

Shooter
35mm
I dont like rodinal much for 35mm. Fine for medium and LF .
Fp4 is more forgiving especially if there are highlights to deal with.
My personal preference would be for 35mm to use fp4 @ 80 iso in d76 for outdoors and acros for in doors and low light, especially for long exposures.
Really best to shoot a couple of rolls of each yourself and see what you like.

thanks for your selection preferences re fp4 and Acros.. my favorite for 35mm is usually Rodinal 1+100/stand but that's with fast film...HP5 etc...I like the edge effect ...nikon scan

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
www.digitaltruth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1255
The link above may be of some use.

I pretty much, after a lot of experimenting just use fp4 and hp5 in d76 on 35mm (although I will use ifosal3 if I have any on fp4@80iso). It has predictable results and usually gives me a decent negative to work with if I dont completely cock up the exposure, even then that will not necessarily stop me from printing.
I found acros has a steep learning curve and negatives will come out mushy if you dont get it right, great negatives if you do get it right.

bedrof

Shooter
Medium Format
Some few weeks ago I tried this developer for a first time with a roll of Rollei RPX 25 (120), 1+19.
Haven't decided yet if I like the results.

Neil Grant

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm in receipt from Freestyle of a tiny bottle of Adox FX39 II (FX39-2) ...

Please share your experiences with FP4 or ACROS, especially for 35mm, especially when scanned.

..i've used it with FP4 35mm, 6 mins @ 1+9. Exposing FP4 at 64 ASA (ie half box-speed). Negs look nice and very sharp but i intend them for optical printing, but i've not got around to that - i'm still at the 'neg' stage. Might try scanning one.

OP
OP
jtk

jtk

Shooter
35mm
www.digitaltruth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1255
The link above may be of some use.

I pretty much, after a lot of experimenting just use fp4 and hp5 in d76 on 35mm (although I will use ifosal3 if I have any on fp4@80iso). It has predictable results and usually gives me a decent negative to work with if I dont completely cock up the exposure, even then that will not necessarily stop me from printing.
I found acros has a steep learning curve and negatives will come out mushy if you dont get it right, great negatives if you do get it right.

"Mushy"...details? thanks

• awty
  • awty
  • Deleted

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Technical term for low contrast, flat negative, although some people like the mushy look, I dont. Probably something I was doing wrong, doesnt matter, they dont make it any more and I wont be buying any more rolls.
Medium format cooked in pyrocat hd.
28 04 18 arcos769 (3) compressed.jpg

Lachlan Young

Shooter
Multi Format
Not a lot to it really, it's a low solvent developer, intended for higher definition. I recall it has a relationship to Neofin Red & thus back to Beutler. Grain into Rodinal range, definition (from recollection) a bit better than Rodinal, thus perhaps a tick better than diluted ID-11. Tried it quite a while ago, haven't had any urge to do so since. The Paterson instructions gave rather generous times even for diffusion enlargers I recollect.

If your scanner has competent Dmax, very unlikely to be a problem for a neg that prints nicely on G2 (or even lower). Epsons & other consumer grade machines will make their usual pig's ear.

OP
OP
jtk

jtk

Shooter
35mm
Not a lot to it really, it's a low solvent developer, intended for higher definition. I recall it has a relationship to Neofin Red & thus back to Beutler. Grain into Rodinal range, definition (from recollection) a bit better than Rodinal, thus perhaps a tick better than diluted ID-11. Tried it quite a while ago, haven't had any urge to do so since. The Paterson instructions gave rather generous times even for diffusion enlargers I recollect.

If your scanner has competent Dmax, very unlikely to be a problem for a neg that prints nicely on G2 (or even lower). Epsons & other consumer grade machines will make their usual pig's ear.

Thanks.. Nikon scanner.. I used Neofin Red happily for years fwiw.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom