Fujifilm Launches Provia 100F Instant Noodles

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Punker, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Punker

Punker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Petapixel article

"Fujifilm has launched its latest Film Simulation product: this time, they’re instant noodles. And no, it’s not a photo filter look that’s named “instant noodles” — Fujifilm literally released some real instant noodles."

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ridiculous.

Bring back Acros!

3. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YUCK.. from the mention web site..
    "The outside of each limited edition instant noodle cup has a design that makes it look like a roll of Fujifilm Provia 100F film. The noodles inside are actually “hot and tangy kimchi” flavored.

Thankfully, water is used to prepare the noodles, not film development chemicals."

4. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George Eastman advertised to people entirely outside of photographic circles in the 1890s. His competitors and in fact most of the photographic community thought it was a really dumb idea at the time, but he grew an empire so this type of marketing isn't actually as dumb as it sounds.

5. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm .. you may have a point ... would have to see and read what's on the the box, not just the noodle container itself.. to see if there promoting a film appetite. ;-)

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, it's pretty dumb. No one is going to buy any Fujifilm product based on film simulation noodles. Nobody is that stupid.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of the new Honda Civic Si HFP models in one of our local supermarket parking lots. Supposedly they are quite powerful and fast.
    The owner had added pink "Hello Kitty" neck pillows to the front seat headrests.
    I'm not sure that anyone can predict what causes some people to buy some things!

8. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll agree it's pretty unlikely, but anything that puts a product in the public eye is promotion.

Actually, there are people who are every bit that stupid. If you haven't encountered them yet, you've led a charmed life. Stupidity is an inexhaustible resource.

9. Fin

Fin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brexit

Trump

I beg to differ...

10. bvy

bvy Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would be a stupid thing to do if Provia were next on the cutting block.

11. Trask

Trask Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is it super-additive?

12. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sign me up, I love noodles and Provia F !

13. lantau

lantau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They also released a new disposable to the Japanese market. A version II of a previous one, filled with Superia 400 premium.

Maybe their marketing department hasn't given up on film entirely.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's probably costing Fuji very little to do this. And it is promoting film. Not only that, it's promoting slide film.

And kimchi is delicious.

Not that I am a fan of instant noodles...but it might just be a good marketing idea. At least it shows they've not given up. My guess is the demographic the noodles are aimed at contains a number of people who are taking up film...but have not heard of or tried Provia. The noodle pot might just increase sales of Provia. What is actually wrong with that?

16. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have anyone here tasted Provia?

17. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    No but I did taste Ilford HP5 about 35 years ago. Not pleasant.

Ilford Hypam is even more nasty.

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    "from the wonderful folks that brought you Pearl Harbour" :smile:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  19. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    No wonder Instant Noodles was the greatest Japanese invention of the 20th century.

20. lantau

lantau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, but I usually sniff it when I open a new roll. Kodaks don't smell, except for their Vision3 stocks. They, too, have that lovely acetate smell.

21. Wallendo

Wallendo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's interesting that Photrians constantly lament to lack of manufacturers' promotion of their films and then complain when said manufacturers actually promote their film.

I don't know enough about Korean culture to predict whether this campaign will be successful, but at least FujiFilm is making an effort.

Maybe Kodak should use it's yellow boxes to good use by supplying mac and cheese.

Ilford's grayscale films would be great for highlighting English cuisine and should distribute grey mashed peas.

22. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They’re actually promoting their digital camera “Film Simulation mode” that simulates Provia 100F. So they’re trying to promote a move away from film to digital.

23. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm

Precicely (or CT Precisa ?)

I see a lot of people tweeting and blogging about this noodle cup. Every tweet, retweet, blog and comment is a person being exposed to Provia who might never have heard of it.

People complain that Fuji have given up, that they're exiting the market....now they try some promotion and the complaint is that it is the "wrong sort" of promotion. But get this....we Photrio inhabitants are not the people that Fuji need to reach out to. We already know what Provia is and have made our decision to buy it (or not). The buyers of this instant noodle pot, the bloggers and tweeters are probably new to it....if it has even a small impact on sales then it's a good thing, no?

It's no use doing traditional advertising in photo magazines, or even on photo forums. It's not financially viable to do TV ads or a big billboard campaign. If there's evidence that young people who know very little about film are taking up film photography then it strikes me that an instant noodle product is as good a vehicle as any to promote film. Probably costs Fuji very little and increases awareness.

24. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    This should put a stop to about 80% of the positive comments on this thread. They AREN'T promoting film, they are promoting a move away from it.

25. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Wouldn't the noodles cook even faster if they advertised a 400 speed film effect?

26. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I doubt that they're trying to promote film. The company whose website hosts the promotion is Fujifilm Electronics Imaging Korea Co., and there is no film anywhere to be found on that website - only digital cameras, lenses and accessories.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.