Enlarging negs bigger than 8x10

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jarin Blaschke, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a way of avoiding depth of field problems. As an example, take 3 photos, one focused on the foreground, on on the mid range and one on the far away elements. Stitch them together and you have a single image that is completely in focus from the closest to the furthest away. It avoids diffraction from stopping down, and even then you might not be able to render everything in focus with a single shot.

2. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh... kind of like taking 3 sheets of film and exposing one for the shadows, one normally, and one for the highlights? Interesting... Thanks!

3. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4x5 Technical film might be a decent compromise. More DOF possible.

4. blindpig

blindpig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ic-rtacer,
    That's terrible coverage your light source is giving you I've used the same type 8X10 enlarger with diffusion head as well as condenser heads and even custom made lamp house and never saw coverage as poor as you seem to have.Sure think you ought to check it out.That being said in my experience equipment used for lithographic separation work needed to be critically sharp and evenly lit from edge to edge.
    Check it out and good luck....
    Don

5. blindpig

blindpig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jarin,
    This may not be possible for your situation but once we had a need such as you describe and arranged to lease the proper lens for the required enlargement as only need it for the one time Fortunately there was two adjacent rooms that could be darkened so the lens was put through the wall between them and a lamp house was constructed and mounted on wheels inline with the lens.in the other room a movable partition was mounted on wheels so the image was projected from one room to the other" Rube Goldberg"for sure but worked for us.
    Just a thought....
    Dom

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I can't believe they were actually using that. My suspicion is that when the lamp was new it was better. About ten years ago I had a thread over at Large Format Forum on how I improved it, but that head is long gone. The guy that bought it put a new lamp in it. I'm using a CLS2000.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.