Eastman 2 Digit Suffix Rebate Codes

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Meyer Trioplan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Meyer Trioplan

Meyer Trioplan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My net searches have yielded a little but nothing too comprehensive.

A few months ago, I picked up a Bulk Loader with some aged film in it. Some clip and exposure tests revealed the rebate code “EASTMAN 25” and the film seemed to rate around 0.25 ISO giving off a rather Ortho appearance.

Some net searches seemed to anecdotally suggest the suffix numbers related to the last 2 digits of the 4 digit codes found online but there was no suitable film ending in 25 to match

Today I got some Eastman Tri-X 5233 and it carries an EASTMAN 23 marking. Thinking the middle two digits might offer the clues, I looked at the online 4 digit listing and couldn’t find a suitable match either.

So after some more online digging, I’ve found a few other matches that seem to suggest these codes are almost random...

An EASTMAN 9 (in an older typeface style) printing correlates to 5360 Positive.

23 corresponding to 5233
    24 corresponding to 5375
    25?
    26 rebate marking seen as well with no known correlating 4 digit code.

I think in my earlier searches I saw reference to other numbers in the teens.

Does anyone have an idea how to crack the codes?

2. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    the digits between EASTMAN and S'AFETY FILM indicate the strip of film off the master roll. should be from 1 to 38 or so for 35mm.

SOME movie film has the type coded as part of the footage numbers. Like C 123432 - the C indicating Double X - 5222. Most film in the last decade or so has "Keycode Numbers" where the film type is indicated by a two letter code like KX.

3. Trask

Trask Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It would be great to have more complete information on such films, as you suggest Mr. Trioplan. I bought some film that turned out to be Eastman 6 -- my understanding is that the fact it says "Eastman" instead of "Kodak" means its a film associated with cinematography, but beyond that there's no firm information. I hope you get the info you seek.

4. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  5. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    the cans the film came in from the factory often had a small sticker showing the "strip Number" or it might have been hand written on the can by he operator who was doing the spooling. (the can of course hlso had a label with the film type, and that was also stamped on the original clloth tape that sealed the can along with the Emulsion Number.. these days that is all on the can label as part of teh bar codes, and the KEYCODE numbers give origin info...

(more on the modern KEYCODE on this page: https://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical_information/keykode/index.htm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.