dry mounting press in europe

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by foen, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seal presses were much more common in the USA than in Belgium, as the whole heat-mounting process.

3. Hilo

Hilo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Teun, I am in Holland, but have no spare ones. The list of people looking for these is endless. But send me a pm and we take it from there . . .

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The seal press is the best I've ever used. Took mine back with me during an overseas move; glad I did.

5. David Allen

David Allen Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  6. John51

John51 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why do they prefer unmounted prints?

7. kevs

kevs Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Archival reasons. If your prints are worth collecting, they're worth care. If the mount board contains lignin, it's likely to deteriorate (become yellow and crumbly like an old newspaper) in less-than-ideal storage conditions. It's also very difficult to separate dry-mounted prints from their mount boards. Galleries and musea use museum board, which is buffered, lignin-free board. Presumably as well, this allows them flexibility in presentation.

8. Hilo

Hilo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kevs is right. It is mostly about archival reasons. But space reasons come into it as well. Collectors and museums will have most of their prints sitting in drawers of filing cabinets. Mounted prints take up too much space. They're larger and a lot thicker than a single print. I have three filing cabinets (10 large drawers each) at work, with my own prints and the prints of others. I would need two or three more of those cabinets if everything was mounted.

9. John51

John51 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To clarify, if it isn't going to be hung on a wall, there is no need mount the print?

What about RA4 prints? A lab that offers a mounting service says that prints in a frame can buckle over time. I know of framed C prints that are decades old and no sign of buckling or any other weirdness except maybe some fading of the colour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.