Does owning a camera,such as a Hassleblad or Leica, make one a better photographer ?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by spoolman, May 2, 2016.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    There is nothing wrong with the Canon A-1 and a kit right. I just am challenged to do my best when I pick up the Hasselblad.

2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm the exception to that, as I've always done it - neither the car nor the lady being new to me. I feel that I need to be polite to compensate for my otherwise unremarkable self.

3. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen some of his early work though the book you refer to does not ring a bell.

Many great photographers were able to do magnificent work with basic equipment but in almost all cases they improved their equipment when the opportunity arose.

I admit to getting some very nice images out of my old Agfa Jsolette when things work right. It is also very portable and fits easily in my pocket. The obvious advantage to working with one camera like this is that you can get pretty good at making them work for you.

Of course, for its day, the Jsolette with its 85mm Solinar lens and Compur Rapid shutter was no Brownie, and cost quite a bit more than a basic camera would have gone for in those days.

Interestingly I do own an old Zeiss Icarette folding camera with the equipment to use 6.5x9 cm glass plates. This would have been a later iteration of the ICA that Mr. Kertesz would have used in the early days. The lens is pretty low contrast but everything seems to work ok when I use 120 roll film. There is a light leak in the bellows but if I cover it with a dark cloth it isn't a big problem. One of these days I'll have to coat some glass plates and try it out. :smile:

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If only photography was a pursuit that could be solved by throwing money at it and buying a "better camera ". my work would be exhibited in the Worlds leading galleries, and I would be renowned wherever I went, sadly after spending a small fortune on cameras and lenses over the last fifty odd years, I now have top quality 35mm film S.L.R.s and lenses but can see no evidence that the work I'm producing is any better than it was thirty odd years ago, and my wife says I should have got a mistress instead and set her up in an apartment because it would have been cheaper :D

5. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hassy SWC provides something other 6 x 6 does not. Leica, same thing...rangefinder and compact. But if you don't need certain features, then they are more of status symbols.

You can get great results with other cams as well.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    On the other hand having a large clear, bright viewfinder rather than the tiny viewfinders of some cameras opened up my eyes to look for unwanted intrusions in the composition and the increased ability to see exactly what is in focus and what is out of focus.

7. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The VAT on photographic equipment must be really high.

8. elmontanero

elmontanero Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a tradesman friend. I once quoted to him the proverb that "a good craftsman never blames his tools".
    He was quick to reply, "Have you seen the quality of tools that good craftsman has?".
    Like many others have said merely owning something doesn't make you any better, but often better photographers have good equipment.

Cameras are hammers to me. Many different brands and bits - but they either fit my hand well or not. What fits for me is different than what fits for someone else.
    I love my ridiculously large Medium Format camera, tried a similar one that's better at toting into the field and have been unhappy with it. It has more glass, finders and less weight to get it there - is it a bad camera - heck no, just that it's a hammer that doesn't fit my hand well. In another persons hands it'd be the best camera in the world.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As far as I know, it's 20 %, but she's not stupid Theo, she waited to tell me this until I'm too old to take her up on her offer.:D

10. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very good point. If it doesn't "feel right" holding it, viewing through it, if the balance is wrong, I find some cameras impossible to use. A lot depends on what you have become "used" to. For instance it took me a while to get used to holding a Hasselblad after using a Rollei......Regards!

11. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Equipment that you enjoy might enjoy using can encourage more passion?

But yes if you own a Ferrari you prob won't win the Formula 1 but it may make it more enjoyable for you.

If one was into cars, you prob won't be that satisfied with a Toyota Yaris or if you are into watches if you just had a Casio / Citizen.

12. Jim Andrada

Jim Andrada Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Actually, Carnegie is a rental hall. Anyone with the $$$ can rent it and have fun.

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Google "Buddy Greene harmonica Carnegie Hall".

Wait for the William Tell Overture. You won't regret it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi again doug
    i answerred your question last year buti have had a year to think about it even more :smile:
    i think having a camera one likes and likes to use, whether it is a premium camera or whatever
    helps keep interest and maybe motivation to be better
    but i also think that cameras that make life difficult, that have very few controls and maybe just a box
    some call them LO FI .. holgas, dianas, lomo, plastic fantastic box cameras &c also can foot the bill.
    while they don't offer the same ergonomics and light+focus controls premium camera has .. if the person
    has the motivatoin and interest to use them, these cameras can teach someone about film and lighing
    and processing and composition and everything else photography is .. even more so, because it
    is as rudimentary as it gets... photography is seeing stuff .. if one relies on the optics and ergonomics
    and light and focus controls to see everything for us, we really aren't seeing much

16. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fine- if I own a period costume, does that qualify me to sing a leading role in La Traviata at La Scala?

17. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have to perform two surgical operations for that :wink:

18. Louis Nargi

Louis Nargi Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    NO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.