Does owning a camera,such as a Hassleblad or Leica, make one a better photographer ?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by spoolman, May 2, 2016.

1. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I just want people's opinions on this topic. I had always wondered if owning,what I would describe as a premium quality camera,would help me be a better photographer or are cameras like these considered a status symbol.?

Thanks,

Doug

2. Dali

Dali Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, you are a good photographer or not regardless the camera because being a good photographer has very little to do with gear.. To convince you, do you think nowadays pictures are better than those taken 50 or 75 years ago?

In another domain, does a luxury car make you a better driver?

3. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can't buy talent.

That said, some tools are better than others, but it's an individualistic thing and dependent on the task at hand.

4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Definitely not. But sadly it remains a widely held belief amongst people looking for direction and purpose.
    Skills and experience make the photographer what he is. The equipment is just a collection of tools, a means to an end.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Those do not make the photographer better, but they improve the quality of the optics and the camera so that those are optimal and any mistakes are owned by the photographer.

6. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If having premium quality equipment makes you feel better about yourself then it might improve your state of mind when making images so in that sense equipment can help make you a better photographer. However, if you're crap at photography then you're crap at photography regardless of how good your equipment and how it makes you feel. A talented photographer can make good images with any camera equipment.

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They came to have a status symbol status because a lot of good photographers were known to use them as tools.
    But on their own, no, they make make someone a better photographer any more than using Edward's tripod holes on Weston beach would.
    They may help make one a better technician though, which will help in becoming a better photographer.

8. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, crap Sirius Glass, now you hit that proverbial sore spot! If my pictures are no good, I can't blame the equipment!! :D

Seriously, though, IMO what good equipment does for the photographer (or, can do) is make it more fun to photograph. Does my Leica M6, Hassey, Deardorff, or any of the few folders that I own make me a better photographer? Um, no, but they're damn fun to use! :smile:

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I own a Ferrari, does it mean I can win a Formula 1 race? If I own a Steinway, does it qualify me to solo at Carnegie Hall?

10. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does driving a rolls royce make you part of the nobility? No, but it might make you feel like you are even if no one else sees it that way.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    They do and they don't. How about that?

What has to be present first is the talent and the drive. With those, a quality tool will help create something better. Without it, well...

13. jerrybro

jerrybro Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some tools make it easier to do quality work, but a craftsman can build a house with the basics.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Owning a camera makes anyone a better photographer....you really can't take pictures without one.
    It really doesn't matter what kind of camera either. I've seen great shots taken with an iPhone, a Brownie box camera, and Instamatic, and a Leica.

Mostly, owning a camera such as a Hassleblad or Leica will make one poorer but feel like a better photographer. They don't even have to work to feed the ego

16. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No

17. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Honestly, it would make me a worse photographer, at least for a while. It even happens when I use my 1950's 6x9 folder, I start to "try too hard", and want every frame to be perfect, and then it gets stiff and serious and I lose the sense of creativity and fun and imagination. So it would cause an internal struggle not to take it and myself too seriously! :smile:

18. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Using a top notch camera and lens takes away the possibility of blaming your equipment, so you may put in greater thought and effort. But if one is a crap photographer with no "eye", no equipment is going to change that.

19. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Knowing your equipment and materials is important, so you know strengths and limitations.
    Some equipment has more strengths than others.
    Some equipment has more limitations than others.
    Draw your own conclusions.

The most important thing is to work a lot, to look at your results, adjust where you're not happy, but ultimately to tell a good story or show an alluring picture.
    I think that while equipment is important, we cannot let ourselves become stagnant and rely too much on it.
    What you tell with your pictures is a reflection of you, your person, and your soul; the camera will not do that for you.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  20. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't think what 6x6 SLR with focusing, framing done by looking down will do me anything better. Can't comment on this. I have hold Hasselblad in my hands. It was same as holding Rolleiflex. Smoke but, no cigar.

I do own Leica camera and lens. It happens what all of photographers I really think as better ones, did have Leica for their best photography. But this is not the reason why I do own one old Leica camera and one new Leica lens. Same as better photographers I know and care for, I have tried something else and else and else before Leica. I did exactly the same. Did it made me better one? No idea, all I could tell, I have photography tool which is better. Not because it had Leica label on it, but simply for technical aspects. It is smiple, extremely well made camera. Made as I need. And lens is the same.

21. onre

onre Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a FED-5. I think it's close enough to a Leica.

(runs away, dodging insults)

22. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't think that this is a serious question. I think you are trolling.

23. hoffy

hoffy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No

/thread

24. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For some people, yes.
    A reliable camera gives me more confidence.
    A sharp lens with no distortion gives me more confidence.

25. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I do have FED-2, as first camera I was able to get pictures with. It is my second choice after film Leica even now. Recently burned hole in the FED-2 curtain by opening at f1.5 under bright sun and above white snow. And changed it by myself. I'm getting keepers with this camera, but M is more easier to fiddle on the street.

26. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While working in a camera store back in the 1950s, I sold a new Leica M-3 DS to a lawyer friend and years later he sold it to me. I still own and use it in 2016. Most any other brand of camera by most other manufacturers would have been worn out and consigned to the scrapyard a long time ago. The same is true of my Hasselblad that I bought used in the 1960s or early seventies. Status symboles? Only someone who has never owned and used one of these over a prolonged length of time would make such a dumb statement about either of these wonderfully put together pieces of great photographic equipment. Will it make you a better photographer? You and I both know that in the right hands a Brownie Hawkeye selling for $15.00 or less when it was new, can produce 12 prize-winning photographs on a roll of 620 film. It is my experience that you can never go wrong buying "Quality" in photography as in most other things...........Regards!