Diluted Xtol, have you read this?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Juan Valdenebro, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Certainly not impossible.
    Andrew and I (and a few of our friends in Canada and Washington and Oregon) are members of the Northwest Alternative and traditional photography group (the Center for Photographic History and Technology - Pacifica Chapter), which meets in Bellingham every few months. The next meeting is scheduled for this coming April. If nothing can be set up before them, we might use that as a meeting opportunity.

2. John M Austin

John M Austin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Groups:
    Oddly, I tried to join them a few months ago but could not find any way to do it in their web page so I gave up. I can't thing of a better way to ask "How do I join your group?" than to crash their meeting in Bellingham in April :smile:

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Send me your email via "Conversation" and I'll send it on to Craig, who sends out the meeting notices.

4. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Kodak says something like: 6 months in a full container, 2 months in a half full container. If in doubt, test clip.

5. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Next time I'm in the States, I'll pick up a few packages... even after conversion it's heaps cheaper. I'll fill up on petrol, too.

6. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I mix up the entire 5L in a bucket and then store in 16 oz Groush style bottles filled to the top. As I use some, I drop glass marbles into the bottle until it reaches the top and then attach the lid. ZERO o2 in the bottles ever. I don't worry about it 'turning' on me.
    81-10sgBK5L._SL1500_.jpg 718Nz0EH3mL._SL1500_.jpg

7. Maris

Maris Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mix the entire 5 litres which gets subdivided into many small full-to-the-top bottles; no air space. These small bottles are the source of replenisher for the original 2 litre working stock batch which has been performing perfectly since I first mixed it in 2007. Yes, continually and diligently replenished for the last 12 years at the rate of 90ml per "standard film". The price of Xtol has gone up but I figure it's still about 30 cents per film. Nearly everything in photography costs more.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For all the hears I used replenished Xtol I just split it between two 2.5 litre HD Plastic bottle, one was my working solution the second used as Replenisher the second would gradually empty and be partially full, never an issue, I'd mix fresh Xtol after about a year so reliable and cost effective and always superb results.

Ian

9. Joel_L

Joel_L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm another XTOL convert for many years now. I have some that is many years old and still going strong. I mix 1:1 and use 140ml for a 36 exposure roll and am always pleased with the results

10. Ai Print

Ai Print Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh goody, a parade....I love parades, think I will join:

I use Xtol 1:1 and have for years. I store it in glass bottles of progressively smaller size as I go through it. I like the way the negs look and the longer than average soup times are almost a requirement for sheet film in rotary. If I ever have a problem with film developed in it I will address that at the time but for now, I use it in full confidence and without issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.