Diluted Xtol, have you read this?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Juan Valdenebro, Jan 5, 2019.

1. jnantz

jnantz Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IDK
    i have been adding a dash of either ansco 130 or dektol ot my caffenol c for 12 + years,
    it doesn't weaken any solution, the lasts 5-6 months, 100s of rolls without replenishment
    and works swimmingly. i have short-stand developed with it too ( 30 mins ? ) not to reduce grain
    but because i had other things to do for 1/2 hour, and didn't have time to deal with agitation .. again
    negatives came out great, can't complain .. they weren't lacking density or contrast and made / make
    killer contact and enlarged prints and scans ...
    but before i added a dash of print developer my negatives sometimes lacked density and contrast
    just like they looked when i used xtol ( must be a vit c developer thang ) ... LOL
    not really a myth, at least for me ... but as they say YMMV
    ps. i just processed another 17-18 rolls using the developer a week or 2 ago, it was mixed around september..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that's ok peter, i appreciate the offer, im done with trying new developers since i have one that has done well by me for more than a decade ... and another i have been using for nearly 2 decades .
    as they say around here " i'm all set " .. glad the x tol works for you and the others, that's all that matters in the end ..

3. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Your satisfaction ansco sure sounds like my satisfaction with XTOL.

And for having not tested the working ph of each developer and make them work together was a lucky shot for sure.
    But doesn’t adding a “dash”, as opposed to adding a “diluted dash equivalent to the diluted main solution” simply make the end solution stronger?
    Therefore why not mixing Xtol to a higher solution, making it 4.5 liters instead of 5 liters?

Maybe this whole time you simply disliked the gama value of your negatives and mixed that for a supposed bad developer?

Food for thought.

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used it once with Dmax and got a clear film; never used it again.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apart from the initial packaging issue which was very short lived and rare I've never heard any genuine issues caused by using Xtol, Most developers have a finite shelf life once mixed it's easy to mark a a date on a bottle.

Xtol is the best film developer Kodak have ever made, gives superb results. I used it always replenished from it's UK launch until about 2008, the only reason I stopped using it was I'd moved abroad and hadn't a darkroom. I was often processing hundreds of sheets and roll of films a year in Xtol, it's such a reliable developer and far better than ID-11/D76. I'd add none of my friends ever had an issue either.

There's too many false stories and opinions by people with little experience. The most economic commercial developer on the market when used replenished.

Ian

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

I did not finish the statement. Because you are careful and consistent in your lab work, you can get great results. Good lab practices are important.

7. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe, no clue cause i don't know what any of the gama values of my negatives were
    all i know was i'd shoot film in a variety of light conditions bracket my exposures and bracket my processing
    all i got was flat film, no matter what i did .. eventually i just used straight undilute xtol nothing really changed except
    me, i just decided i wasn't going to expend anymore effort on that so i started using ansco 130 shot film in the same light conditions
    and what a difference ! as the photolab index would say " snappy crisp negatives" and that was without even trying...
    i didn't add a diluted dash &c just a splash, that i eventually measured to be between 15 and 20cc/L
    again, im glad people are stoked about xtol from what i have read for IDK 20 years LOL its great stuff :wink:
    not to mention watching that orange looking stuff turn clear is almost as much fun as pouring blackblue AH dye into developer and it vanishing ... :smile:

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And that's regardless of what developer you use, you're actually more likely to have D76/ID-11 fail than Xtol :D

Ian

9. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really wish that everyone could go through at least High School level chemistry + lab, explosions and smoke aside the basic ideas and thought processes are so useful.

10. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I "gave up" on Kodak/Ilford developers just after the 'local' photography store closed.. It is still a 2 hour drive to the nearest vendor...which greatly increases the cost per gallon of developer... so I decided to do some 'playing around'.after some 'hunting and reading' about alternatives,,,.. then... after reading Dr Sandy KIng's 'tomes' on Pyrocat HD....and 'investing in the ''raw chemicals" from Art Craft (in NY) for Pyrocat HD which are 'still weighed out' on a somewhat antique three-beam balance ,... doing some 'personal' testing...(the results of which I am more than just 'happy') when used in my BTZS tubes (hand rotated in a Tupperware 'tub' for both 4x5 and 8x10 inch negatives). I honestly believe that I'm now getting 'sharper' grain and good tonal negatives after having had to purchase commercial 'ready to go'developers from 'that' far away

Ken

11. ericdan

ericdan Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I developed 65 rolls of Tri-X/P3200 in Xtol 1:1 in 2018.
    It looks different from D-76 but I don't know how to explain it. I really like the results.
    I used distilled water and mix the powder into 2.5 liters instead of 5 liters. I keep the double stock solution in PET bottles. I use wine preserve inert gas with partially empty bottles. No issues at all so far, but I always test with leaders anyhow.
    Wanna try this developer replenished, but I think I don't shoot enough for that.

12. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don’t want to be argumentative but it sounds like you’re simply over developing your negs. Crisp and sharp negative is a telltale sign of that.

A crisp negative is not something that’s desirable. It looks good to the eye but it doesn’t print easily and a lot of the tonality is lost on print. A correct negative will look slightly under developed. Especially tmax 100 and tri-x. For example, a correctly developed Tmax 100 will definitely look under-developed to the naked eye but that’s unimportant because it will print with a full tonal scale. An over-developed Tmax 100 negative will look sharp and crisp and beautiful to the naked eye but it won’t translate on paper. It’s definitely a funny film but thats how Tmax 100 is; a well developed tmax 100 film will always look a little thin.

Even HP5 cannot be judged to the naked eye. My most beautiful HP5 prints come from begatives that are dark and flat on the ligh table and very hard to judge. But the detail and tones I extract from it on a print is amazing.

The only film that I know that can be judged by simply looking at it, is Fomapan 100.

Now I don’t know how your negatives look to the naked eye as I haven’t seen them, but if you say that your negatives are sharp and crisp, I will immediately think over-development.

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    developer chemistry is for people who know what they're doing.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. lantau

lantau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The datasheet mentions that the water supply shouldn't exceed 200ppm of CaCO3. That is how water hardness is stated in the US. That would be '200mg/L calculated CaCO3', a value that is also provided in the periodic analysis reports on the website of my supplier. I have hard water at 240mg/L (9°dH in Germany) and Kodak calls >200 exceptionally hard. But there is even harder water than my tap water.

If your water exceeds 200ppm Kodak recommends treatment to avoid cloudiness when using higher dilutions. I guess that means stock Xtol can handle very hard water. but I generally use demin. Water for photochemicals.

16. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    snip snbip snip
    thanks for the advice but i'm all set.
    ive been extremely happy with my film
    for decades and have no reason to change developers
    sorry do dissapoint, im not a flavor-of-the-month-photographer
    like most people these days seem to be.
    i don't change film or developers on a whim &c &c

nope you don't know what my negatives currently look like or looked when i used xtol.
    as i have said previously-- for many years
    my negatives lacked density and contrast. they were pathetically weak.

you crack me up ralph.
    i guess i certainly don't know what i am doing
    especially after IDK 15,000 rolls and sheets through
    in the past 20 years, again, problem free..

thanks for the free advice !
    ===
    again, i am happy people are happy with xtol
    more power to them !

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  17. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    “Here have some XTOL. DRINK ITTTTT!!”

Me, if we ever meet around a bottle of vodka.

Hey, I once took a mouthful of stock Dektol while trying to siphon it out of a tray.

Man

18. jnantz

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL exactly what i was thinking as i read your post
    that, and .. people loves their xtol !

disgussing xtol over vodka sounds great but
    methinks i would turn from :smile: to :sideways:
    in no time :smile:

have a fantastic day/night/morning! :tongue:

19. John M Austin

John M Austin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Groups:
    Agreed: But at what point should I consider my XTOL "aged" or"questionable"? I don't have any guidance on aging or questionably from the manufacturer. Not sarcastic here. I haven't ever considered this before, having in the past had the budget for ridiculous wastage of chemicals... Now that I am closer to retirement, I really need to consider frugality in my darkroom.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak data sheet is here: http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/uat/files/wysiwyg/pro/chemistry/J-109_Feb_2018.pdf
    On page 2, it indicates as follows:

"STORING SOLUTIONS
    Storage of Mixed Solutions
    Store mixed KODAK PROFESSIONAL XTOL Developer in full, tightly closed containers or in a replenisher tank with a floating lid. To maintain shelf life, minimize the amount of air space in the storage container. Partially filled containers allow oxidation of the solution.
    STORAGE LIFE OF UNUSED SOLUTIONS
    In Full, Tightly Closed Container Container: 6 months
    In In Partially Filled, Tightly Closed Container: At least 2 months
    In Replenisher Tank with Floating Lid: Indefinitely if new solution is added to replaced that used by the processor
    Note: If you use XTOL Developer diluted 1:1, dilute it just before you use it, and discard it after processing one batch of film. Do not reuse or replenish this diluted solution."

I am a strong proponent of using X-Tol replenished - and floating lids and large tanks are not necessary. It is a tremendously good developer when you use it that way, it will last for a long time if you are diligent, and it ends up being really inexpensive - one 5 litre package will cost you around $10.00 and will process about 70 rolls of film.

This thread has lots of useful discussion: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/using-and-replenishing-xtol.144796/

21. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on how you store it. I take the view that it's not that expensive so if I haven't touched it for 6 months, I pitched it and make more. I'm in the "I've never had a problem with XTOL" camp. After losing a couple of films with an alternate home brew developer, I switched back to XTOL and always run a film test at the start of a developing session. I just mix up the chems and immerse 1/2 of a short piece of film (a few inches) in the 1:1 solution. I leave the other half in air. I "develop for the recommended time, then stop and fix per usual. If the test strip is half black and half clear, that means my chems are working ok. This has been my process for about 10 years.

22. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is that $10 Canadian, Matt? I thought I saw it for much more at Beau Photo a few years back...

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $10.00 USD Andrew.
    It is about $20.00 CDN at Beau now, I believe.

24. John M Austin

John M Austin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Groups:
    Oh gosh, Matt and Andrew are both in BC. How far are both of you from Seattle? (not to be a thread thief...)

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quite close.
    Using Glazer's in Seattle as a reference location, the Peace Arch border crossing is about 90 miles from there, and I live just a few miles from the border crossing. Andrew is just a bit farther.
    Come to think of it, I think I bought my most recent $10.00 USD package of X-Tol from Glazer's.

26. John M Austin

John M Austin Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Groups:
    Oh gosh Matt, I bought about $50 in XTOL from Glazer's 2 months ago. It would be AWESOME if you, Andrew, and I could coordinate some kind of trip where we all have our cameras. My youngest son attends Western Washington U in Belling ham and I go there about once a month to deliver care packages. Meet there?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.