Digital negatives on Canon Pro 100

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by pwitkop, Jan 27, 2016.

1. pwitkop

pwitkop Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen much about this printer and digital negatives, so I thought I'd share what I've learned. I'm just learning hand coated processes, so I've just used cyanotype so far. The Platinum kit is on the way, so we'll see how things work with that soon. At first I was having trouble getting enough UV density with the black and white mode but printing as a color image, with intensity pushed all the way up and with Matte paper selected, I'm getting pretty good density. My cyanotype curve, I've had to cut the density back a little actually so if I need more with platinum. As far as color density goes, a dark green and full black give about the same UV density. The color chart and one of my test pattern's are below, if anyone's interested.

Peter
    2016-01-26-0001.jpg
    2016-01-26-0003.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    pwitkop

pwitkop Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Palladium update

I've managed to get some good results in palladium using the B&S digital negative kit, which is Palladium with PT NA2. I've gotten more than enough UV density to use the high contrast formula, I could probably print with straight palladium.

If anyone's thinking of using this printer for digital negatives, it certainly is capable, at least for PT and Cyanotype. I'd be glad to share any details if anyone has any questions or is having trouble.

Attached Files:

3. mdarnton

mdarnton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd be interested in anything at all that you have to say. I haven't started yet, but alternative printing is on my horizon, and a Pro 100 in my basement.

4. Zerofox79

Zerofox79 Member

I cant help you, but Sandy King and others make digital negatives to print using alternative wet processes. Try a search both here and on APUG. I think you will find the answers to your question.

Good Luck

5. BDK

BDK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have just got interested in cyanotype and I have a Pixma Pro-100 also. My scanner is the Epson Perfection V-750. I can use the Epson Scan software, or Apple's upgraded Photos. I just figured out that to make a "negative" I can invert the curve settings, The standard curve is a straight line between lower left and upper right. If I drag these to the opposite corners I have a negative, or so it seems. That's where I am now. Do i just print this? Would appreciate any lessons you can give me on this. Thanks.

6. MEB

MEB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any issue with your digital negatives made with the Pro 100 with diagonal line patterns? I print my 4x5" digital negatives from digital files on Pictorico Ultra Premium Transparency Film and tried different print settings for printing on this transparency foil. No matter which option I select and independent on the resolution, there are tiny diagonal lines on the negative which show up in large prints when looking very closely. I believe it has to do with the printer head but didn't find a fix.

7. Kevin Harding

Kevin Harding Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there - just bouncing into this thread from a search. I know it's been 2 years since the OP, but what inkset and transparency are being used to generated "acceptable" digital negatives?