Recent bookmarks

Síle

Format
DSLR
* ** *** <--- Tumbleweed

Shawn Rahman

Format
Multi Format
To Ralph Javins: An Open Letter on Camera 8.1 (Nikon)

Dear Ralph,

We all hope you are doing well.

I write this this letter to you with hope of appealing to your understanding, as a fellow photographer, that this traveling camera project we are almost at the end of means a great deal to us.

Please rest assured that we are not angry or upset about the delay. It has been less than a year since the camera now in your possession was first mailed out, so the timing is still within the reasonable expectations we started out with. But we are so tantalizingly close to completing this round, that our eagerness to get the camera back from you is growing daily.

When Lisa bowed out, the group graciously allowed you, at your request, to join the list in her place when we could have just finished the round early. We were thrilled to have you as a new member of this group. All seemingly went well with the hand off of the camera to you and the initial enthusiasm and communication you showed. We would love to just get back to that point, and hear from you about your progress with the camera.

Again, that you've had the camera for several months now is not a problem if you can just tell us how we can get the camera back from you. If you've already taken your shot(s), we will be pleased to arrange the return handoff. I know a couple of fellow APUG members have reached out to you in an effort to pick up the camera at a mutually convenient location. If this is feasible, then there seems to us to be no reason why this can't take place within the next few weeks at the most. If you are unable to do this, please send me a PM, and we can discuss it offline. I will be pleased to make other arrangements, either locally, or through the mail. Just say the word.

If you've been following along with the various "one camera" threads, I'm sure you can tell the enthusiasm and work that goes into executing a project like this. Now almost one year in the making, we are extremely eager to see the results of our work and waiting. That you are the last one on the list has only heightened our enthusiasm.

We hope you are doing well, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Shawn
(on behalf of all your friends at this corner of APUG)

Síle

Format
DSLR
When were you a gentleman John??

flatulent1

Format
Multi Format
I ran into Ralph this afternoon at the camera store. I asked if he had our camera, he said no. I asked where it was, he said his GF had sent it to Shawn. I was too steamed to be able to think clearly, so did not think to ask when it was allegedly sent. I only told him as of a few days ago Shawn had not received it. His eyebrows went up. To keep from assaulting him I had to walk away rather quickly.

Format
Multi Format
not cool Ralph not cool at all. Weak link in the chain screwed us all. He should be accountable for the cost of the camera, film, and the large sum we have spent shipping this camera around. We spent a lot of time and effort to take our shots and move it along. It's not a hard thing to do, how can you mess up this simple task?

Shawn Rahman

Format
Multi Format
Newt - the answer seems simple to me: the task did not get messed up.

Ralph: if you read this, please send me the camera. Thanks.

removed account4

Subscriber
Format
Hybrid
cameras from this round the world thing get lost in the mail all the time.

when the last camera was lost / MIA did people react like this ?
nope, they found another camera, and started camera 8 ... ( or was it 7 ? ) ...

if it was me that mailed the camera, and it got lost
and people involved called me a thief &c i wouldn't respond either ...

k_jupiter

Format
Multi Format
cameras from this round the world thing get lost in the mail all the time.

when the last camera was lost / MIA did people react like this ?
nope, they found another camera, and started camera 8 ... ( or was it 7 ? ) ...

if it was me that mailed the camera, and it got lost
and people involved called me a thief &c i wouldn't respond either ...

No.
Ralph has been emailed, pmailed, I woulda snail mailed him had I had an address. No responses. Not one. I tracked him down through his last posts on APUG. Nothing.

This is not "I gave it to my girl friend and now it's lost." This one is squarely on Ralph.

It is his to decide how we look at him. Right now it is not pretty.

tim not in san jose (at a secret location trying to get a peaceful vacation in)

Shawn Rahman

Format
Multi Format
John,

No one is suggesting that Ralph stole the camera. Far from it. The several attempts to get the camera back from Ralph have all been very courteous on our part. These included offers to pay for the shipping expenses; pick up the camera from Ralph; and also pick up the camera at a mutually convenient location, including a drop-off at a camera store that Ralph frequents. Responses from Ralph have varied: 1) the camera is on its way to me; 2) the camera was mailed to me but came back to Ralph undelivered; 3) an agreeement by to drop off the camera at the camera store; 4) Ralph's girlfriend mailed it to me; 5) silence.

All will be fine again and all forgiven (of course) if we: 1) got the camera back; or 2) honestly learned that the camera was lost or somehow damaged. While I can understand the propensity to avoid embarrassmentif if it was lost, I still hold out hope that Ralph understands the importance of this camera to all of us to either return it or tell us what happened. Is a simple private PM too much to ask? Hardly. If I got a PM from him, I would go out of my way to thank him publicly.

Live and learn, I suppose.

Regards,

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:

segedi

Format
Multi Format
This is all my fault really.

In such a haste and while being ill I took such a shabby picture that I completely regret... I made a little voodoo camera and flushed it to spare myself the embarassment of having you all see the photos!

Shawn Rahman

Format
Multi Format
Kevin,

Damn you! The curse you've unleashed on us will not end with this round, but surely will last into the next one.

That is why, to make it up to us, your picture(s) in Round 9 better be so good as to make up for the crap that the rest of us will no doubt shoot because of your curse.

Shawn

This is all my fault really.

In such a haste and while being ill I took such a shabby picture that I completely regret... I made a little voodoo camera and flushed it to spare myself the embarassment of having you all see the photos!

thebanana

Format
Medium Format
Camera 7 was "lost", and with it my shot of the rarely seen unicorn :sad:. Now Camera 8 seems to have met the same fate. I'm not even going to describe the rare sight I was able to capture on that camera. It just ...hurts too much.

Shawn Rahman

Format
Multi Format
No more pessimism! We are going to send out camera 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 until we get one of these fuckers home.

Camera 7 was "lost", and with it my shot of the rarely seen unicorn :sad:. Now Camera 8 seems to have met the same fate. I'm not even going to describe the rare sight I was able to capture on that camera. It just ...hurts too much.

mooseontheloose

Format
Multi Format
And where is 8.2? It seems to have been forgotten in the drama surrounding 8.1.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom