Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

Qiuhong

Shooter
Medium Format
Does anybody know who can, or how to seperate the cemented rear element of this Mamiya 80 1.9 N lens in order to clean the haze? the haze is on the glass piece that's second to rear-est. Please help... I called all the repair shops in NYC and none can work on this.

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20221116205729.jpg
    WeChat Image_20221116205729.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 60
  • WeChat Image_202211162057291.jpg
    WeChat Image_202211162057291.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 59

ags2mikon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Maybe S K Grimes. They used to do lens repairs like re-cementing lens groups. I have had them make retaining rings in the past and was quite happy with them.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Has the op used the lens? The haze may not affect their photos. This can be an expensive repair, and there may be a long wait time to get the repair done. I've been there several times with this problem.

I would sell the lens and buy another one that was clean, but not before seeing how the lens they have now actually performs.

OP
OP
Qiuhong

Qiuhong

Shooter
Medium Format
Has the op used the lens? The haze may not affect their photos. This can be an expensive repair, and there may be a long wait time to get the repair done. I've been there several times with this problem.

I would sell the lens and buy another one that was clean, but not before seeing how the lens they have now actually performs.

I took one photo with it with a flash on, it had a lot of blooming like a 1/1 pro mist filter, haven't tried it in natural light probably a lot of blooming too..

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
Are you sure that is in the cemented elements? That rear optical block has 4 elements in 3 groups.

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Haze can’t really take plsce between cemented elements. And this doesn’t look like delamination. Looks like an easy job to me.

OAPOli

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I had a problem with cement degradation on a 80mm f/4 macro lens (M645). It wasn't delamination where the elements become separated with a rainbow interference pattern. Looked exactly like haze. It might be caused by solvent bubbling in the Canadian balsam during cure?

Edit: I ended up returning the lens. In your case you could double-check by removing the elements. The lens is a bit more complex than the 80mm f/4.

Last edited:

NB23

Shooter
35mm
I had a problem with cement degradation on a 80mm f/4 macro lens (M645). It wasn't delamination where the elements become separated with a rainbow interference pattern. Looked exactly like haze. It might be caused by solvent bubbling in the Canadian balsam during cure?

Edit: I ended up returning the lens. In your case you could double-check by removing the elements. The lens is a bit more complex than the 80mm f/4.

Yes but please note the RAINBOW qualification.

Delamination is characterized by a rainbow. Looks like haze, but it’s delamination. You can’t clean the rainbow, needs to be glued.

Haze can be cleaned and it never between elements. Between elements is delamination.

OAPOli

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Yes but please note the RAINBOW qualification.

Delamination is characterized by a rainbow. Looks like haze, but it’s delamination. You can’t clean the rainbow, needs to be glued.

Haze can be cleaned and it never between elements. Between elements is delamination.

I agree you can't clean delamination. But you can have poor cement between glued element. Saw it on the Mamiya 80mm f/4. Appears like haze but can't be wiped off.

paulbarden

Shooter
Large Format
"Haze" is the term commonly used for the deposition of volatile oils (usually from grease in the helical) on one of the air-spaces surfaces. However, if the camera is stored in cold/damp conditions for many years, the cement used to glue elements together can become cloudy, and appear similar in effect to oil haze on an air-spaced surface. It would be worthwhile to first determine which surface(s) the cloudiness is on, but to do that you will need to do some disassembly. Not everyone is willing to go that far to diagnose the problem.

As "itsdoable" stated: "That rear optical block has 4 elements in 3 groups." and so its entirely possible the haze is on one or more of the air-spaced elements.

lxdude

Shooter
Multi Format
I called all the repair shops in NYC and none can work on this.

Remembering Marty Forscher, I never thought I would ever see this. 😕

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
Haze can’t really take plsce between cemented elements. And this doesn’t look like delamination. Looks like an easy job to me.

You can get fungus growth in a balsam cemented doublets that results in a haze, not the result of oil or desgassing that deposits on a free surface. I've have separated and cleaned cemented doublets. Rainbow delamination is a different thing.

The 1st thing to do is dismantle the optical block, and clean the elements, if the cemented doublet is hazy, that will be obviuos. Maybe the OP is really asking how do you dismantle the optical block....

OP
OP
Qiuhong

Qiuhong

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm a bit confused by the comments as I'm not that knowledgeable in this area, one guy says it's an "easy job" without explaining what the job is hahah.
The first photo shows the rear group taken out from the lens, the group has 2 pieces of glass held by a black metal tube, and it's hollow in side, the haze (whatever it is) is on the inside of the top glass shown in the first photo. clearing the exterior with alcohol didn't help.

I'll attach a sketch showing where is "haze" is..
1668980874917.png

Mamiya_Repair

Advertiser
Shooter
Medium Format
This is very common on the f/1.9 80mm lens, I see many of them with this issue. The damage is between the cemented doublet and can't be cleaned off.

Nodda Duma

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

Haze can definitely occur in the cemented bond — even if not balsam — if not properly used at the factory. I’ve repaired quite a few doublets from the 60s/70s era which had hazy cement.

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Yes, obviously, when cement goes bad it also comes with its own haze, debris and gasses.

But in the huge percentage of cases, haze is not inside the cemented surfaces. Well, according to all the people that work with lenses, including you I’m sure. But maybe not in your case, who knows.

But then again, haze in between glued elements is delamination. No other way to put it, really.

Haze can definitely occur in the cemented bond — even if not balsam — if not properly used at the factory. I’ve repaired quite a few doublets from the 60s/70s era which had hazy cement.

Last edited:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom