Members
Latest member
adam m
Recent bookmarks

ags2mikon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
First I want to thank you for providing support to the film community. I don’t want to nit pick your samples because it is not the same as looking at prints. I really don’t care if you drum scanned them or used your I phone. I didn’t see D-23 developer listed, but I can figure it out on my own. My main concern is that this will be another boutique film that sells at a premium that will go by the boards after a year or two. So all the time testing and refining will be for nothing. Most of us have had enough of the re-boxing and re-branding. Most of us would would feel much better if you would come clean and tell us that this was “our idea” and we had XYZ make it. There is no need to be coy. As far as marketing is concerned I think you are making a big mistake not offering sheet film. That makes me wonder just how serious you are about being in the film business. I shoot mainly Ilford film and if you are going to price your product competitively I will buy some for testing. But if you think that this should sell at a premium to Kodak and Ilford then I’ll pass.

OP
OP

CatLABS

Shooter
Large Format
First I want to thank you for providing support to the film community. I don’t want to nit pick your samples because it is not the same as looking at prints. I really don’t care if you drum scanned them or used your I phone. I didn’t see D-23 developer listed, but I can figure it out on my own. My main concern is that this will be another boutique film that sells at a premium that will go by the boards after a year or two. So all the time testing and refining will be for nothing. Most of us have had enough of the re-boxing and re-branding. Most of us would would feel much better if you would come clean and tell us that this was “our idea” and we had XYZ make it. There is no need to be coy. As far as marketing is concerned I think you are making a big mistake not offering sheet film. That makes me wonder just how serious you are about being in the film business. I shoot mainly Ilford film and if you are going to price your product competitively I will buy some for testing. But if you think that this should sell at a premium to Kodak and Ilford then I’ll pass.

i take it you did not bother to follow the link and check the actual price :smile:?

ags2mikon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
i take it you did not bother to follow the link and check the actual price ?

As a mater of fact I didn’t. I was going to order some of your x 80 about a year or 2 ago to try but a close friend of mine passed away and I inherited a freezer full of GP-3, acros and some 400 TX. When I was researching the x 80 many on the other forum (RFF) were calling it GP-3. So maybe I did get to try it. If it is in fact GP-3 then I really like it. I set the meter to 80 ei and use D-23 1:1. It reminds me more of verichrome pan in 35mm than panatomic x. I’m pretty darn sure you are not making film in your garage or a back room there in New England, so you are getting it from someone. If x 80 is GP-3 I would rather buy it from you than from evil bay sellers because I think you have enough sense to store it properly. This would also give us a second source if you were out. I’m not looking for the lowest price I’m looking for the best value. I also don’t care if it is made in China as long as it is not made in a forced labor camp. I have to draw a line there. I do wish you would offer some more solid documentation like Ilford and Kodak does.

Mackinaw

Shooter
Multi Format
I am pretty sure what is coating our film, who is in charge of accounting.

Your answer is confusing. I'll try again, is CatLabs coating this new film? Or have you hired somebody to coat it for you? This is not a negative question. I'm just curious. There's no shame in admitting that some other reputable company is coating your new film.

Jim B.

Roger Cole

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Your answer is confusing. I'll try again, is CatLabs coating this new film? Or have you hired somebody to coat it for you? This is not a negative question. I'm just curious. There's no shame in admitting that some other reputable company is coating your new film.

Jim B.

It's not confusing; it's a JOKE based on the old "Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third" Abbot and Costello routine. It was a way of saying he doesn't want to say. There can be multiple reasons for this including possibly an agreement with the company doing the coating not to divulge it.

Roger Cole

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I think you are making a big mistake not offering sheet film.
While I would eventually like sheet film too (I have stopped shooting 4x5 temporarily. My old Tech III is just something I no longer want to fool with working around failed mechanics in places and more tape than leather on the bellows - I will buy a new 4x5 camera and get back to it in earnest once my current darkroom build is complete in a few months. At any rate, the thing is of course that sheet film requires coating on a very different base. Whether there are other technical problems with selling it in sheets I wouldn't know of course, but an entire different base run could be just financially not feasible given the comparative sales of sheet film vs. 35mm and 120.

MrclSchprs

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It's not confusing; it's a JOKE based on the old "Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third" Abbot and Costello routine. It was a way of saying he doesn't want to say. There can be multiple reasons for this including possibly an agreement with the company doing the coating not to divulge it.

What CatLABS meant by it was clear to me, but the link with an American comedy joke had completely escaped me as a non-American. Thank you very much for the clarification!

Roger Cole

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
What CatLABS meant by it was clear to me, but the link with an American comedy joke had completely escaped me as a non-American. Thank you very much for the clarification!
It's pretty dang funny, and such a classic that it's been modified for all kinds of other versions in the years since it appeared in the late 1930s. Position references are to American baseball, of course:

(Note - I know this is an aside, just maybe a better explanation for non-Americans. Back to the film discussion.)

I definitely want to try some of this film!

Last edited:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I am pretty sure what is coating our film, who is in charge of accounting.

I pretty much understand if you are not willing to tell who manufactures your film.

But the wording of your reply is puzzling me. Is this irony, is there a hidden pun?

a non-native speaker

EDIT:
I just read the reference to Abbot & Costello, who I do not know either.

Tomro

Shooter
Medium Format
We are working on Euro distribution, for now you can order directly from us with very reasonable shipping (for larger orders).

just checked. for 10rolls shipping would be a whopping $32. So when do "larger orders" start?

OP
OP

CatLABS

Shooter
Large Format
i take it you did not bother to follow the link and check the actual price ?

As a mater of fact I didn’t.
I would hazard a guess that doing so, which might only set you back 2-3 seconds, might answer most if not all of your questions here.
...as long as it is not made in a forced labor camp. I have to draw a line there.
Our film is not made in china, but this does not mean that all labor for profit is not exploitative, not sure how to draw that line.
I do wish you would offer some more solid documentation like Ilford and Kodak does.
The Kodak 400 speed BW film is nearly double the price of our film. If we charged that much for something i would certainly hope we could provide similar levels solidity to our documentation :smile:.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CatLABS

Shooter
Large Format
just checked. for 10rolls shipping would be a whopping $32. So when do "larger orders" start?

The more you order, the less expensive shipping becomes, for example, if you ordered 100 rolls, the price for shipping would come down nearly 65% relatively, per roll.

OP
OP

CatLABS

Shooter
Large Format
At any rate, the thing is of course that sheet film requires coating on a very different base.
Roger nails this one on the head. We looked into this and unfortunately found that a sheet film version is not feasible here for several reasons.

In the interim, for those who are jonsing for some CatLABS sheet film, we have just completed the second run of CatLABS X FILM 80 MKII - an improved version of our original and well liked X FILM 80 with better QC and better handling properties over all. At the moment we have 4X5 in stock, 8X10 coming later this year or early next year. Since its release, X FILM 80 in sheets is and has remained the most modestly priced sheet film option available in the US. We expect the 8X10 version to be as well once its available.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Yes.

The best example to compare to is pre 2000's TXP 320, though the spectral sensitivity is not quite the same, so perhaps this is more of a feel than anything scientific.

So its a 320 ISO speed film that is best compared to pre-2000s TXP but the spectral sensitivity is not quite the same. Thanks for that but if you can't or won't give us the spectral sensitivity curve can you say where its spectral sensitivity differs slightly from pre-2000s TXP

I presume that if this film was 4 years in the making then there will be a lot of info collated on it so maybe for some reason you feel that you cannot reveal more but it would be nice if we knew what the constraints on release are

Can I just ask again: Do you have a team of photo-engineers at CATLABS that were responsible for the emulsion?

Thanks

pentaxuser

ags2mikon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
"The Kodak 400 speed BW film is nearly double the price of our film. If we charged that much for something i would certainly hope we could provide similar levels solidity to our documentation."

Okay, so 7 dollars a roll just to provide quality documentation? Hard to believe that after 4 years of developing a new film for the market we don't have at least a little bit of documentation. I bet that most of us here on this forum have 4-5 pages of documentation when dialing in a new film. Come on.

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
So its a 320 ISO speed film...

As to ISO, from the CatLABS website:

"For best results rate it at 200 ISO when shooting outdoors under bright sunlight. Push it as high as 1600 when shooting under artificial/low light conditions"

I did not see an explanation as to why CatLABS considers this as "Pro" film:

"CatLABS X FILM 320 Pro BW Negative (35mm and 120)"

Tomro

Shooter
Medium Format
The more you order, the less expensive shipping becomes, for example, if you ordered 100 rolls, the price for shipping would come down nearly 65% relatively, per roll.

Ok, got it. So nothing for someone who wants to give it a try before committing, if in Europe

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom