Cange Focus Screen on Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by shampoo, Dec 24, 2017.

1. shampoo

shampoo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello.
    i own Hasselblad 53CXi,
    i deside to change the focus screen to Acute Matte Split Prism screen.
    i saw a lots of focusing screen and many different types of focusing screens.
    is someone can explain or refer me to any web site for learn and compare ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Yaacov.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The Accumat D screens are the brightest. I like the one with the cross hairs which I use to line up the horizontals and the verticals.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A valid comparison needs the same lens to be used.

4. Chris Livsey

Chris Livsey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Note, my comments added to this excellent list are italic:
    Hasselblad Focusing screens
    Note that no screen has any ID other than the "D" cut out on the Acute Matte D versions so sellers with a screen in a box with little knowledge rely on the box which is usually wrong as owners tended to buy a new screen and store the old one in the box= error.
    List courtesy of member:

itsdoable

Pre_Acute-Matte

Plain ----------------------------------------- 42161
    Centre microprism ---------------------- 42234
    Centre split image + microprism -- 42218
    center microprism with grid --------- 42250
    center split image ---------------------- 42188
    center split image for C? ------------ 42196 * for 500C, 500EL
    center split image 1 ------------------- 42198
    Bright-Matte (plain) -------------------- 42226 (just pre Acute-Matte)*
    Checked screen (Grid) --------------- 42269

* My addition note: this used fibre optics which are prone to fail leading to black spots like a dead pixel on the screen, they are quite rare and expensive, not because they are good but because they are rare.

Acute-Matte
    Original Acute Matte ( Introduced in 1989):
    Acute Matte plain ------------------------------ 42165 ( Introduced in 1989 )
    Acute Matte with split and grids code - 42170 ( 1991 to 1996 )
    Acute Matte TCC Code --------------------- 42167
    Acute Matte 203 Code ---------------------- 42208

The "D" versions 1996 and 1997:
    Acute Matte Standard D ----------------------------------------------------------- 42204 *centre cross mark
    Acute Matte D 203 ------------------------------------------------------------------- 42203 ( earlier code 42210 ) * Specific marks for the metering area: a ring of fine dots indicating the central weighted exposure zone.
    Acute Matte D 205 ------------------------------------------------------------------- 42167 ( earlier code 42213 ) * as above plus a 6mm ring for the spot metering system
    Acute Matte D microprism/split image ---------------------------------------- 42215
    Acute Matte D split w/ Grid lines ------------------------------------------------ 42217
    Acute Matte D w/ metering circle for pme90 prism ----------------------- 42207
    Acute Matte D w/ grid and split image with metering circle for 203 - 42219
    Acute Matte D w/ microprism/split image with CFV crop --------------- 42264 * crop marks for the digital back rare and expensive
    I think there was a plain class screen 42200
    H-3042264 Focusing Screen for CFV-50c Digital Back (has H designation but is for V series with the CMOS back showing the crop horizontal and vertical)

Other makers such as Brightscreen and Maxwell - Hi-Lux, screens that fit the Hasselblad as well, there are numerous Hong Kong/Chinese suppliers with variable reports of quality.

Now let's move on to why you want to change, is it because you want a focussing aid like a split screen or just because you want a brighter screen. If the latter you should note that original Hasselblad screens were "dim" but had a high contrast. The first series Acute Matte screens were much brighter but were heavily criticised for being hard to focus by pro photographers and the second release, the D series was re-designed by Minolta to address the issue, how far that succeeded is open to debate. The increase in brightness is accompanied by a corresponding decrease in contrast and it is the contrast by which focus is achieved if you are using the screen, often called "the pop" and not a focussing aid on the screen, brightness aids composition. The general view is always "I want a bright screen" but be careful what you wish for.
    I do think, because I use one by preference, that a split screen is the way to go 42217 ( and I fully understand that focussing aids are a very individual choice) in an Acute Matte D screen. That gives the best of both worlds, brightness and accuracy. The downside, sorry, is the split screen does need careful vertical alignment of the viewing eye to work without blacking out which again it is prone to do even when lined up on longer focal lengths, 150mm and upwards, it works best with a prism or chimney finder not waist level. It is workable of course on waist level but can be frustrating.
    There is no one best screen for manual focus, that's why Nikon made 23 different ones for the F3 and Hasselblad had around 8 in the catalogue at any one time, not all the above were available at the same time, varying over the years in the designs available.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    shampoo

shampoo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you very much Chris for your broad answer.
    The main desire to change my focus screen is of course for help to focus accurately.
    in my opinion, bright focus screen is less important if i can rely on the split focus screen.
    Regards.
    Yaacov.

6. Chris Livsey

Chris Livsey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You will find then that the earlier pre acute-matte with split screen is the most economical way to go in price by a factor of almost 10x !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.