Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

Skytrain

Shooter
Digital
Hi, I bought these at an auction because I really liked them. They each measure 17.5 x 22.5 inches and came framed. The auction was in Southern California. I’m trying to figure out where they were shot and who took them. The photos themselves are glued to a mat and I am reluctant to separate the two. Any thought? Thanks, James

Attachments

• 31AA5616-6FCB-499F-8A64-14CDC36CBCB7.jpeg
    31AA5616-6FCB-499F-8A64-14CDC36CBCB7.jpeg
    968.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 54F847DF-39AC-4E12-A3A7-C04930CB27A0.jpeg
    54F847DF-39AC-4E12-A3A7-C04930CB27A0.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 100

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
'

Welcome to APUG Photrio!!

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome!

Well, I even doubt one could tell on what continent the first one was taken...
(But seen all the expertise at this forum a dendrologist might show up.)

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I would be leery of removing anything that's glued to the backs. If you wanted to try, I would heat one corner of the back w/ a hair dryer (cautiously) or something similar, and slowly pry that corner up just a teeny bit to see if it's even feasible. If it isn't yielding at all, you're "stuck" w/ it.

The photographs are beautiful, and I agree, they could be from so many places. Maybe the 2nd one is from South America? Their condition may give you a hint as to their age. I wanted to say the 2nd one may have been shot back in Ansel Adam's heyday from looking at the burros and people. But there's mountain villages that look like that even today in South America.

Last edited:

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Fairly fast shutter speeds used -- so not too old. (stopped water in the first, stopped ripples in the lake in the second)

Saddle and packs look to be typical western US. I never wore such chaps, though a few times I wish I had.

The packs on the two mules look more Californian than of Montana/Idaho.

Last edited:

waynecrider

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
So two pack horses and the saddle doesn’t look particularly American. Seems no one along with the cowboy who’s pretty dressed compared to an 🇺🇸 would guess plates and later mid to late 1800’s.

mmerig

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi, I bought these at an auction because I really liked them. They each measure 17.5 x 22.5 inches and came framed. The auction was in Southern California. I’m trying to figure out where they were shot and who took them. The photos themselves are glued to a mat and I am reluctant to separate the two. Any thought? Thanks, James

The mountain scene looks like it could be in the southern Sierra. The trees look like lodgepole pine, which grow fairly high there. All of the rock looks like granitic batholith (like much of the southern and central Sierra). In the Rockies, say the Wind River Range where granite dominates, white bark pine is more common at higher elevations. The snowfield locations indicate that the view is likely west or north. There are enough landmarks to figure out where this picture was taken-from using Google Earth (dragging the person-thingy that's in the scale region onto a likely place on the ground and then scrolling around until the scenes match). Kind of tedious but it works.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom