Threads
Members
Latest member
Dradler
Recent bookmarks

Photo Chemist

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I would like to do both B&W and color prints. Is it possible, and smart, to use a color enlarger for both BW and Color work? Or not? What is best way to go about this?

Obviously, I'm at the very beginning of my printing journey - and appreciate any help you can offer!

Shooter
8x10 Format
Yes, a dichro will work great for B&W. With variable contrast B&W papers adjusting the contrast with the color filtration will require a little trial and error. A good starting point, in general, is to begin with a filter combination of 0 Yellow and 0 Magenta (don't use Cyan), and see how the contrast resolves. If you need more contrast from this point, add magenta, if you need less contrast, add yellow.

fjpod

Shooter
35mm
I've been doing it for years. Can't imagine going back to drawer filters. I look at the contrast of my negatives. If they are a bit drab, I might start at a 3 or 4 setting. If they look high contrast I might start at 2. By the numbers I mean the dichroic equivalent. Charts are available online, i think from Kodak. I always use dual filtration as this keeps exposure times more constant throughout. Great for split grade printing. Have fun.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Back then it was the usual way to go if one wanted to do both, colour and b&w.
Some modular built enlargers in addition yielded the feature to substitute the 3-colour head by a dedicated varicontrast head (basically a 1-channel dichro head) or by a classic head with a opalized bulb and without mixing chamber (to yield more directed lighting) and in few cases even by a point light lamp (for most directed lighting).

chip j

Shooter
35mm
I assume a dichroic head would work w/graded papers, too, w/the filters out of the way?

koraks

Shooter
Multi Format
Some people say that with a dichroic head you won't be able to get the extreme grades on VC paper. I don't bother and just use a color head anyway; it has proven adequate for me. And yes, graded papers expose fine with all filters set to zero.

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I would like to do both B&W and color prints. Is it possible, and smart, to use a color enlarger for both BW and Color work? Or not? What is best way to go about this?

Obviously, I'm at the very beginning of my printing journey - and appreciate any help you can offer!
color enlargers with dichroic filters are perfect for B&W prints after a little bit of calibration to find out what filtration to use for any specific print contrast. BY THE WAY,under-the-lens-filters work well too.

OP
OP
Photo Chemist

Photo Chemist

Shooter
Multi Format
Thank you, everyone! I am continually amazed at the collective knowledge on this forum. I don't know where I would go - or what I would do - without this place. Thank you!

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I only print my black & white with a Dichroic enlarger.

Dali

Shooter
Multi Format
This is the only enlarger type I used for the last 30 years.

Shooter
Medium Format
Some people say that with a dichroic head you won't be able to get the extreme grades on VC paper. I don't bother and just use a color head anyway; it has proven adequate for me. And yes, graded papers expose fine with all filters set to zero.
I get from 0-5+ with mine easily but, needed the extreme grades, means the negatives are suboptimal to begin with.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom