Buying the same cameras/lenses that you have sold before

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darkosaric, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No one considers anything you wrote as arrogant.:smile: My reply was only to offer a reason some people sell their things. Sometimes we truly don't have a choice.

My newest example: My old pickup truck was stolen three days ago. I'm on a very meager disability income and don't have the funds to buy another vehicle. Since I only have liability insurance, I must sell many things to raise the funds to buy another automobile. Sometimes stuff happens out of our control.

2. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Sorry to read this. Hopefully your truck will be recovered and won't end up as a collection of used parts in Mexico. Hm. However, given your location, I'd say the prognosis is not good. I hate thieves.

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the truck will end up in a chop-shop and the items worth anything will go to a pawn shop that has no problem buying stolen items.

FWIW and to come back to the topic; I intend to sell only things I'm sure I don't want to keep... for the moment at least. I'm moving a bit slow at the moment though so selling will be slow. I won't be re-buying anything I sell now nor in the future.

4. Meow7

Meow7 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "A never ending story ...

I bought my first Konica Hexar AF in 1993 - traded it a few years later against a Contax 137ma - bought another one in 1998 - lost it in a gondola lift in the Swiss Alps near Grindelwald - bought my third one in 2002 - lost it during the break up of a relationship ...
    About a year ago I found some slides on the attic, I took with the Hexar AF during the Tour de France 1994 - now I'm looking for my fourth one ... :angel:"

It wouldn't let me quote a quote..
    Ditto on the Konica Hexar AF. I bought mine in 1993, sometime during the digital age I sold it. When I was organizing all my photos and slides I found the images from that camera... Small renaissance moment. had to get another one.

5. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was more out of financial necessity for me during bad period, but when I sold my much-loved Olympus OM-1ɴ in 2003 I always vowed I'd get another as soon as I could spare the cash. That happened 9 years later in 2012, when I treated myself to a near-mint black one being sold by its original purchaser. I won't be selling it again.

6. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    There was a time when I briefly owned both the Nikon 180mm f/2,8 ED AIs and the Tamron SP 180mm f/2.,5 LD. They are equivalent performers, with respect to both resolution and contrast. And while I'd really like to re-purchase another Tamron 180/2,5 LD, I can buy a clean Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for about half what the Tamron sells for these days. And while I don't really need the Nikkor, I want one. I have very fond memories of the one I owned. The same can't be said for the Tamron because I bought it to resell (I was a camera dealer back then), and didn't own it long enough to form any strong attachments to it

7. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMAG5455-1.jpg

:whistling:

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the only Nikkor left on my wishlist, I have 20mm to 135mm inclusive, thank you very much digital revolution!
    Realistically, I'd probably not use it more than a few times a year - but what a lens!

9. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lens is magic. It's bokeh is wonderful - it may even match that of my 135/2 DC lens.

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know, I know, I used one in the 80s.

11. OP
    OP
    darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I have purchased Olympus 35RC (again). It was just 20€, last 2 times I have sold it with a big profit, but now I am keeping it :smile:.

12. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm trying to do the same as the OP and not sell anything I enjoy using, but sometimes I have to rapidly rectify my dwindling funds by selling impulse purchases on again.

I've bought and sold about 4 XA2s. Currently in the 'sold' end of this apparent cycle.

I sold a Ricoh Auto Half that I'd used for about a year and absolutely loved. Sold it as I needed money fast. Last week I received an Auto Half SL from Japan (Japan to UK post in 2 days!) and I'm hopelessly in love. This one is never being sold.

13. Sponsored Ad
  14. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I played the "buy it again after selling it" game with Leicas and Leica lenses, sometimes even failing to learn after one cycle. Eventually I trimmed that side of things down to an M2 and three Leica lenses (plus one CV). The issue turns out to be that I really do prefer an SLR to a rangefinder. The M2 stays around simply because those Leica lenses are the best, technically, that I have. I don't want to think about how much money I sank into all that; it makes me feel as I imagine someone does at Gamblers Anonymous. The M2 and lenses will go in the next year or two when the alternative is to start dipping into my retirement savings, or as soon as the leukemia relapses, whichever comes first
    Since then my re-purchases have been more rational: replacing an old broken camera, or buying a spare in anticipation of the breakdown of one I don't want to be without. That's an indicator of something, isn't it? The cameras you buy as spares as you don't want to live without them. Oddly, the spares have not been my most used cameras, except for the F6, and I bought a second F6 simply because I use it a lot and wanted the ability to have B&W and colour. I have bought a spare Pentax ME Super, two spare ($25 each, why not?) Pentax SF1n's, a spare Olympus OM-2n, and a Pentax 645nII. I suppose I would have a spare Rolleiflex, but to have a decent inbuilt meter I'd be looking for a GX and can't justify the cost.
    This makes me think a little on which cameras I do use the most. I think it would look something like this:
    35mm
    Nikon F6
    Pentax SF1/SFX
    Olympus OM-2n
    Leica M2
    Various manual Pentaces
    Olympus Pen F/FT
    (sold two FM3a bodies and all manual Nikon lenses)

MF
    Rolleiflex 2.8GX
    Pentax 645n
    Hasselblad 500
    (sold a Bessa III, Fuji GA645, Fuji 690III)

LF
    Chamonix 10x8
    Chamonix 4x5
    Crown Graphics

If I had to, and perhaps one day I shall, I could be happy with an F6, the Rolleiflex and the Chamonix 10x8. My situation is perhaps a bit different to most, in that I have a very large frozen stock of film, a bunch of cameras, and insufficient time to consume it all. Other things being equal, it's a nice problem to have!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.