Buying the same cameras/lenses that you have sold before

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darkosaric, Apr 20, 2017.

1. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will not sell my gear any more :smile: : once when I sell it (often with many problems on ebay) - after year or so - I realized that I do want to use this gear again, and I buy thew same cameras/lenses again.

For example I have a wish to use zoom lens again, so most probably I will buy 28-80 nikkor again, and also Oly RC35 that I have sold 2-3 years ago: I will get that small cute camera again. Nikkor-P 105mm f2,5 I already sold and purchased twice (I have version 2 - so I was thinking that I don't need also the first version).
    I am not selling because I want to make profit - I like to test and play, and then I think "I have Leica and Nikons - I don't need too much cameras", but I must admit - I like to use different cameras and lenses.

Anybody has the same situation :smile:?

2. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I sold and purchased Jupiter-8 numerous times. Jupiter-12 and Industar-22/50 as well. I'm on my third Color Skopar 35 2.5.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    hey darko
    i've been in your situation but thankfully i didn't have the$$ to buy again
    and thankfully no one wants thing i have for sale ( here, ebay elsewhere ) so
    i don't feel sellers remorse and the need to buy again .. :smile:

although years ago i bought a lens from a stranger, and it turns out
    he built the loft i was living in, and used the lens when he was living there.
    not sure if "returning home" counts..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  4. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    The only thing I regret selling was a 28~48mm f4 Zuiko S for my OM system. That was a very useful range for me and the only zoom I've ever used a lot. Bought it for $30 and sold it for over $100 but it was a dumb move. I've stopped buying and selling, too old, too tired, don't care. Now I mess around with home made pinhole cameras and only buy film, paper or chemicals.

5. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sold my Olympus XA in 84 and my Nikon F3HP in 85. In 2002 I bought the Nikon F5 but found that I would like the F3 better so I bought another F3HP. Then I bought 3 more Olympus XA.

6. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oddest is that I bought a Camera, the actual camera I sold in the 70s, a Miranda. I got it sometime while still in the AF, although I had a Nikon F and my trusty Spotmatic a Mirdanda Sensormate was for sale at the Bx for $50.00. I shot a few rolls with it, then sold to a another GI, he engraved the bottom with his initials. I bid on a Sensormate with a few lens on ShopgoodWill auction site in Sacramento where I last saw the camera. Turns out, it is the same camera. I think I sold it for what I paid for it, $50 in 1975 dollars, I paid $18.00 including shipping and got a 70 to 230 Soligar 4.5 zoom and a 35 3.5 along with the body. Don't know what happened to the prime.

7. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, for me it is nostalgia.
    I'm am buying the 35mm cameras that I used early on.
    • Exacta (actually my father's camera that I used)
    • Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL (my first 35mm camera)

8. BainDarret

BainDarret Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the last few years I have re-bought the following:

Minolta Autocord
    Leica IIIG
    Argus C
    Pentax 645
    And a bunch of Olympus OM gear including a 24mm F/2.8 that arrived today from KEH (with shipping and taxes it came in at about $288 CDN even though it was listed at $144 US).
    Future plans (when coffers are replenished!) include a 100mm F/2.8 OM lens and a 150mm manual focus lens for my Pentax 645. Then I plan to take a long, long break from buying gear.

9. Huss

Huss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sold a Horizon/LOMO Perfekt/U500 pano camera because the film back would not lock (but it stayed closed via friction) and it occasionally had a light leak through the lens turret.
    The pics were just as good/sharp as those from my Widelux F8 and Noblex 135. But it was much more fun to use, with an excellent VF that has a bubble level in it. So I'm thinking of getting another one.
    What's holding me back is the fact that I just had my Noblex serviced by Precision Camera Works, with them replacing the rollers etc. So it is really hard for me to justify it..

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    My Kodak Hawkeye Brownie was lost over the years. My Voightlander Vito II was dropped and could not be fixed. I replaced both of these cameras for nostalgic reasons.

11. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1
    My worse experience was when I decided early on that I would only shoot medium format and sold all of my 35mm gear (or gave it away).
    Only about a year later I was buying it back.

Sometimes I think that the happiest photographer knows of only one film, one paper, one developer, and only owns a pinhole camera

12. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes, I've been in this situation more than once, and no, I will never allow it to happen again. I have sold and bought again two large outfits -- one Canon FD and one Nikon -- as well as numerous other cameras, several of which were medium format. I have at this stage in my life accumulated more camera gear than I can easily use, but I bought it because I like it dammit, and I'm never gonna sell it. Ever. I'll let my heirs fight over it and do what they will with it. I'm done playing the "sell then buy" game. Period. And here's hoping I never have another situation of "too much gear and not enough dinero," which is what led to earlier selloffs.

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never sold a camera or lens.

Having had literally nothing for the first 20 years of my life other than the second-hand clothing on my back, I now keep everything.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. macfred

macfred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I requote myself (from an older thread) :

Meanwhile I bought a fourth one ...

16. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my late 20's I sold all my camera gear to satiate my wife's (now ex) need to allow me nothing. Also sold a nice revolver and pistol, MacIntosh/B&O/Tandberg audio gear, my BMW motorcycle and other things. At the time I regretted selling all of that but my one 'lingering' remorse is selling the loudspeakers my father built for me when I was a teenager. The wife said they're too big!! Plus, she hated music in the house. They were a Klipschorn folded horn design, sounded fantastic and were covered in a lovely Brazilian rosewood veneer. My more recent regrets have no emotional attachments but I'll never be able to replace them, especially at the prices I sold them.

17. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So Darko you learned it the hard way ! Never sell anything you bought with your heart & always leave the toilet seat up so the girls know there's a man in the house :smile:

18. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sold a Nikkormat FTn with 50mm f2 lens. I lived that camera but needed the miney to buy a Nikin F2. About 15 years later I really got missing that Nikkormat and tracked down the person I sold it to. They weren't using it and a deal was made.

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I never sold camera equipment only to rebuy it in a short time.

20. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I won't sell anything anymore either.

"always leave the toilet seat up so the girls know there's a man in the house"

It goes up and down they can leave it up for us.every time I go to my buddies house I pop into the bathroom just to put the seat up just to piss off the witch he lives with.

21. mdarnton

mdarnton Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have had four separate Leica systems. Each time I sold I believed that I was through with either all photography or at least RF cameras, and in one case, all film. I will NOT be selling the current stuff--I learn my lesson slowly, but I think I have finally learned. This last time was easier, anyway--I knew exactly what I wanted to recreate from the past and what to not bother with.

I was smart enough through all of that to at least keep the oldest camera, a Leica iiib, because of who it had come from. That and another camera from the same person, my first photography studio employer, will probably be staying around to the end.

22. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I once sold my soul to the dark side when I bought a DSLR, but with no more digital purchases since then (2009) I think I've cleansed myself.

23. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only camera outfit I ever sold that I miss is my RZ67 gear. I own a Mamiya C220f now which is a lot lighter on my poor fused together back. :smile:

24. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, I never sold a camera ou of fear of what you're going through with the exception of a Fuji 6x9 camera with a fixed lens. I never liked it and never missed it. My Hasselblad is all I need.

25. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Who wrote "a short time?" Not me, at least. It was about 15 years between my first big selloff and the point at which I began to reacquire the gear. It was only about five years between the second big selloff and the reacquisition of that gear, though. Or at least some of it. Incidentally these two time periods overlapped.

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Decades. I never sold a camera or lens and ever repurchased it.