Threads
Members
Latest member
Oddy
Recent bookmarks

TJer

Shooter
Multi Format
I shot 3 rolls of film through this camera since I got it and am just blown away. I still have dozens of great vintage mechanical cameras, like my M2 etc. that are fun to shoot with in their own right, but this is the first film camera that really just gets out of my way, and I feel like it will 100% bring home the shot. Plus it always felt like a waste to not be putting to use some of the amazing f1.4G glass I own, especially the 58mm f1.4G, which is such a special lens. I like it enough where I'm going to send this one to Nikon for a full CLA, and likely will look for a second one as well. It's that good.

Congratulations! It definitely is a great camera! As many Film camera legends as I have, I still reach for my F6 when I must bring home the shot! Make sure you read the manual cover to cover, there are subtle nuances to its operation that you’ll want to know and absorb! Once you really get used to it and can sit down and compare it with your F5, you’ll really be in for a treat. In particular, the matrix metering availability and the enormous on-board photo library it uses for determining exposure is incredible. The standard view screen it comes with is more than adequate for manually focusing those precious primes without having to replace it, you can, but you don’t need to. It’s so much easier to operate and get the shot than the F5 you’ll probably think twice about holding on to your F5, at least until you get your second F6!!

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I wish there was a button to configure to defeat the autofocus, or to temporarily go to AFC. So the camera exposes the frame instantly at the press of a button.

Of course the reason I posted that is so someone might chime in with their solution.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I wish there was a button to configure to defeat the autofocus, or to temporarily go to AFC. So the camera exposes the frame instantly at the press of a button.

Of course the reason I posted that is so someone might chime in with their solution.
Have AF set for back button focus, set camera for release priority in the custom menu then the camera shoots any time you use the shutter button, whether the image is in focus or not. That's how mine is set up.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
AAARRRRRHHHHGGGG!!!!! It is AN F6. Not a F6.

Ok, I feel better now.

Duh, last time I checked 'F' is still a consonant, not a vowel. No one goes about say "an Hasselblad" unless they are the silent 'h' people of the UK saying "an 'asselblad'.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Have AF set for back button focus, set camera for release priority in the custom menu then the camera shoots any time you use the shutter button, whether the image is in focus or not. That's how mine is set up.

I want it the opposite of that. I do see the C/S/M knob on the F6 has a little lever on it, making it much easier to move without looking (than the F100). But no indicator in the viewfinder.

OP
OP
StepheKoontz

StepheKoontz

Shooter
Medium Format

You can set the release priority in either mode. No sure exactly what you are wanting it to do.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
You can set the release priority in either mode. No sure exactly what you are wanting it to do.

Thank you, I'm just understanding this in the manual. Custom setting a2 allows release priority for AF-S. I'll have to try it, but I suspect, you don't have to wait for it to focus, if you press the shutter button to the second stage, it will fire immediately, even if not in focus.
Unless I'm missing something, I have never seen this feature on any of the other AF cameras I own. Will go back and look at the Hy6 manual.

JerseyDoug

Shooter
35mm RF
Duh, last time I checked 'F' is still a consonant, not a vowel. No one goes about say "an Hasselblad" unless they are the silent 'h' people of the UK saying "an 'asselblad'.
The choice between "a" and "an" is based on pronunciation of the letter. The standard English pronunciation of the letter F begins with a schwa represented by /e/ in IPA. So we say "an a", "a b", "a c", "a d", "an e" and "an f".

H, L, M, N, R, S, and X are other consonants calling for "an" rather than "a".

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format

You have the neanderthal's F100, so of course it is ok to say "a F100". Usually followed by the word "urg".

The more sophisticated and superior F6 is "an F6".

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format

yeah, I didn't understand the issue. Just select release priority. I have that in conjunction with the back button AF so in any circumstance I decide when the camera takes the pic.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You have the neanderthal's F100, so of course it is ok to say "a F100". Usually followed by the word "urg".

The more sophisticated and superior F6 is "an F6".

Mine is "the F100".

Arthurwg

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Make sure you read the manual cover to cover, there are subtle nuances to its operation that you’ll want to know and absorb!

I love my F6, but the camera is much smarter than I am. I'll never be able to use all its features, let alone understand them. Still, it works perfectly for me.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
The choice between "a" and "an" is based on pronunciation of the letter. The standard English pronunciation of the letter F begins with a schwa represented by /e/ in IPA. So we say "an a", "a b", "a c", "a d", "an e" and "an f".

H, L, M, N, R, S, and X are other consonants calling for "an" rather than "a".

I need to have grammar check activated. An F certainly sounds proper. I'm going to have to brush up.

Roger Cole

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
True. But, being a slow shooter, I don't mind winding the F3 (or any camera, for that matter)
Besides, in this age of automation, I take pleasure in mundane manual tasks such as winding film, grinding coffee, putting an LP on the turntable instead of listening to Spotify, writing with a fountain pen instead of dictating to Siri, etc. Maybe I'm just old fashioned 😝

If you are then so am I and a number of other people. I smiled at "writing with a fountain pen" because I just bought a couple of them myself, fairly nice ones without going nuts on them. I enjoy writing in my personal journals with them. I also have a vinyl turntable and even in digital media like modern movies I collect physical media (blu-ray and 4K UHD.) I stream too, but stuff I really want to own I buy on physical media. There's something about being involved as well as holding a physical object. But I suppose I'm preaching to the choir on the analog section here.

Shooter
Multi Format
I shot 3 rolls of film through this camera since I got it and am just blown away. I still have dozens of great vintage mechanical cameras, like my M2 etc. that are fun to shoot with in their own right, but this is the first film camera that really just gets out of my way, and I feel like it will 100% bring home the shot. Plus it always felt like a waste to not be putting to use some of the amazing f1.4G glass I own, especially the 58mm f1.4G, which is such a special lens. I like it enough where I'm going to send this one to Nikon for a full CLA, and likely will look for a second one as well. It's that good.

Are you shooting in P mode?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom