Bought a Pentax 35mm!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by LInuxHack3r, Feb 24, 2018.

1. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No way 10 years ago. K1000 was listed around 15 bucks - what a hipe.
    "Hipsters" made it expensive?

with regards

2. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's the price to pay for a "Rebirth of Film".

3. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mine had a primitive external Cds averaging meter, coupled to the top, with its own little lens. But every one of my Kodachrome exposures was correct. Guess I was just accustomed to using it.

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of those meters for my H1a, anything but primitive according to my Gossens, and IIRC it goes down to EV1.

5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I probably still have that old meter. I dissected the camera out of curiosity, and kept the lens, which has a very pleasant less contrasty rendering than my current Nikon lenses.

6. Kodachromeguy

Kodachromeguy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back to the original poster: The Spotmatic is a fantastic 35mm camera, and the lenses are amazingly good considering how inexpensive they are now. I think they will appreciate over time as the film revival continues, so buy some while you can at low price. Two simple examples below. The first is the last tomato of the year, 35mm Super-Takumar, no filter, Kodak Tri-X 400 (exp at ISO 250). This lens was a $42 eBay impulse purchase. The second is Hitt Chapel near Drew, Mississippi. 55mm super-Takumar with yellow filter. The film was BW400CN. My wife bought this lens in 1971.

Tomato02-Vicksburg_20170128_resize.jpg

HittChapel_Rte32_DrewMS_20170416_resize.jpg

7. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    And in my case I would not want the K1000. I have on in very good condition and it was free to me and I never use it. I use the KX and even the old S3 a lot more.

8. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's a blast from the past... When I was in high school, the local pawn shop had a pentax top-mount meter that I bought. I used it as a handheld meter for years with other cameras it didn't fit, years before I got my own pentax (ES-II). No idea what happened with that meter. But even when I had an S3V (mid 1980's) I didn't have that meter any longer.

9. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    KX is very fine by the way. Very special from my point. I never saw a real cheap KX in good condidion. M42 is not my way - but if you habe the lenses it is just "PERFECT"
    with regards

PS : I never saw a single "hipster" with Pentax KX - possible they "don't know"!
    :D:laugh::D:laugh:

10. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The KX, MX, and the LX were the top of the line of the MF K line up. For those with deeper pockets the LX is a great camera system. When I was a working PJ I came very close to trading in my F2 for a LX, only reason I didn't was cost of replacing my lens. The Spotmatic F motor is rare as is the motor drive, but another fine camera.

11. johnha

johnha Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of the original three K series (KX, KM & K2), I get the reasons behind them, the KX (fully loaded mechanical SLR) and KM (more basic/cheaper mechanical SLR), the K2 (Av/Manual with a hybrid shutter). I don't understand why the K2 ISO dial is around the lens mount (and almost impossible to change). I also don't understand why they went out of production so quickly, only to be replaced by the K1000 (was it that much cheaper to produce than the KM?). The KX & KM are easier to use than the MX (the shutter speed dial is much better positioned), and the K2 offered a hybrid mechanical/electronic shutter at a time when electronics were still not trusted by many.

The situation is that, 40 years or so later, the best cameras (KX & KM) are all 40 years old and the cheapest (the K1000) are the ones most likely to work as many of them are much younger - only 20 years old.

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    The K series were replaced with the M series and later the LX took the place of the K2. The K1000 is Pentax attempt to make the cheapest 35mm SLR and it was good for the money but still it's cheap and not as good as the more expensive ones.

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably one of the "Auto Takumar" 55/ f1.8 f2 f2.2, I have the 2.2 version and it is precisely as you describe it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mixed up the K2 with the KX.

16. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd have to dig the lens out of the drawer. All I remember is that it's a 55 Auto-Takumar. It was perfect for the K25 and contrasty pre-E6 Agfachrome of that era.

17. The situation where you live is probably the same as mine. When it comes to having film developed, yes everybody has to send the film off these days, but you don't get your negatives back. At least none of the places I've checked into around here do. Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc. If you want your negatives returned you need to send your film to a lab. Like Dwayne's -- but there are lots of others.

https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

18. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With inferior build quality and different metering internals. Source: I own both.

19. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You lucky GNU/Linux hacker!!

Look, the K1000 is inferior in build quality to a Spotmatic. And you have the ultimate Spotmatic model, the Spotmatic F. I have been wanting one for long, yet haven't found one in my country.

So the Spotmatic F is much superior to the K1000!

What sets the F apart from other spotmatics,.is that it can meter without having to stop down the lens. This is a big deal for a camera with screw mount (M42 lens mount). For this to work, you need to use Super-Takumar or Super-Multi-Coated takumar lenses, which are slightly better.

Good news is, those Talumar lenses are the best built japanese lenses, and I say this despite owning many great Canon and Nikon lenses. Optical quality in some cases is also fantastic. Super-Multi-Coated lenses almost always produce excellent color, too.

The 50/1.4 you have is a classic.

Bottom line is -- spare no expenses to get this camera back in shape!

20. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the F, metering at full aperture is possible only with Super Multi-Coated (SMC) Takumars. With Super Takumars or just Takumars (very old), metering is stop-down only.

Yes, the F is the best of the M42 screw-mount metered Pentaxes.

For non-metered, there's the SV / H3v.
    :smile:

21. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The F is indeed lovely. I do wish that Pentax had furnished a meter on/off switch! Perhaps partially depressing the shutter release, as is done with the LX?

22. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a swtitch, it is comprised of a cds cell and a simple transistor circuit which shuts off power below a certain light level. A lenscap shuts off the meter, essentially.

23. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've seen many Super Takumars with the meter coupling for the Spotmatic F.

24. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just my opinion, but that was a poor design decision by Pentax. Surely I can't be the only person who never uses a lens cap: I want to be able to bring my camera up and look through it on a moment's notice; caps just hinder this and it's one more item to carry and fiddle with.

Is there any other camera that did this? Did Pentaxes after the K1000 still do this?

25. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were a couple others I think. It does work, although if enough light comes in through the eyepiece, the meter will activate. I use lenscaps always, I figure that with two hands, I can get the cap off while raising the camera, although if I expect to use the camera I do keep the cap in my pocket. The drain on the cell is very low anyway, I think it was a way to assure the meter was off when the camera was put away - in it's case.

Edit -"Parablepsy"

26. John51

John51 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got a SP500 last month. First time I've held one and now I know what the fuss was about. Much nicer to handle than my OM1n. The lever wind is like silk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.