Bought a Pentax 35mm!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by LInuxHack3r, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You probably already know this, but for full-aperture metering (i.e. metering wide open) you need the Super Multicoated Takumar lenses (designated SMC).

With Takumars and Super Takumars, you have to use stop-down metering.

2. OP
    OP
    LInuxHack3r

LInuxHack3r Subscriber

Shooter:
    DSLR
    That seems to be the lens on it right now, correct? I think I've picked that up from my research. I have now!

3. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, yours is correct for the camera. Plus, it's one of the best 50/1.4's ever made.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I did not know that. I always thought it had a spot meter. I had bought Minoltas by then.

5. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Apparently, the prototype presented at the Photokina had spot metering, but they ultimately decided that average/center would be better for beginners. Why didn't they changed the name? Like Istanbul, I can't say. People liked it better that way?

You are not alone, it seems like the K1000 iconic status has overshadowed its siblings. Don't be bummed, you bought yourself a Cadillac.

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Theo Sulphate is assuming you will be shopping for lenses... Pick up an SMCT 105 f/2.8 you will not be sorry.

And it's good that you are sending it in for clean/lubrication/adjustment (CLA). I find that even though I replace the light seals on my own cameras, over time, the winding becomes stiff and I can just feel the camera is having a hard time.

7. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've bought Pentax cameras with confidence knowing Eric was going to make it like new . . . :wink:

You might find this a good read -> Twenty Questions with Eric Hendrickson

8. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently, "Pentax Averagematic" just didn't have the same snap.

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow with a 50 f/1.4 have tons of fun with it. get some B&W film too.

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly is - it's about the only one (that I can afford) I like, I wish it fit Nikons.

11. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both Spotmatics and a K1000, with an adaptor I can shoot all my M42 lens on the K1000, functional not much difference, still it is rare that I shoot with the K1000, most often I use either my Spot or a Chion CE3. In my opinion the K1000 is overpriced, later models P3 are just as good and a lot less.

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The first version of the K1000 wasn't that much plastic but when you hold both cameras in your hand you can feel the quality of the K1000 is much less. Another the way to think about this is the Spotmatic F was Pentax best and the K1000 was Pentax cheapest. Pentax did a good job saving cost but still the quality suffered.

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two K1000s with lenses, I grab them at yardsales - sometimes off the free pile - clean them up, make sure they work, and give them to a nearby community college which teaches film & darkroom. One is an early Asahi, Japan, the other is a Hong Kong (marked so on baseplate). The difference isn't huge, but the Asahi is nicer and smoother.
    After reading this thread, I looked on feepay and was surprised to see what they sell for, I'd been valuing them at $50 for donation writeoff.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    K1000 have gotten quite expensive, sort of a cult status I guess, for much less Minolta 101, Konica T, even Ricoh and Chinon made very robust M42 and K mount bodies.

16. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some could say that it's a blessing, while the cool folks are fighting over the K1000s, the price of other cameras stay "low".

17. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Way better than a K1000. It was my first camera and I used it for all my mountaineering misadventures. One tough camera, but eventually the shutter speeds failed. I kept the original lens. Wouldn't mind finding another body if the old gasketing hasn't decomposed.

18. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right you are! I snapped up a KX in E+ condition with a lovely f 1.4 attached for just over $100.! The KX is so far superior to the K1000 (yes, I own a K1000) that the comparison is almost embarrassing. I think too many photo class instructors are holding the K1000 up as an ideal that uninformed students see it as the be-all and the end-all.

Hipsters? "Cool folks?" They tend to be ineducable.:cool:

19. Arbitrarium

Arbitrarium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You assumed a Spotmatic would have a spot meter? What could possibly have given you that idea...

20. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The K1000 used to be dirt cheap, I gave one to a friend's daughter and it has served her very well as a simple reliable straightforward-in-use tool with superb optics.
    But the SPF is as said above the Cadillac. I found mine at a yardsale, the camera and an old Weaver K-8 with mounts for $4.
    The camera looked as if it hade been sprayed with coca-cola and then left to gather dust for five or six years, the contact in the cell compartment was green dust. I made a stainless steel contact and the camera cleaned up very nicely, it has the 55 f:1.8. Since then I've been given a pristine SP 1000 with 55 f:2,
    and I have an H1a, a nice minimal camera. The old screwmount Pentaxes have become real favorites of mine.

21. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think too many instructors are one paragraph (or less) ahead of the students.

22. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not from my point. The K

23. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not from my point - the K1000 is nearly the same but later models were assembled outside japan. Advantage /disadvantage (outside japan) I can't say.But you have later production dates.
    I bought a new one to 200 bucks - years ago in Vancouver. Till 2005 it was in good condition - later I noticed shutter problems.
    A friend shows me his SP500 I had to repair his one.
    1) batteries - no LR 44/SR44 it is a real smaler one I never remember - possible discontinued.
    2) film transport malfuntion.

I cant state it is the better one.
    K1000 fits Pentax K /M lenses.
    Advantage to some / disadvantage to friends of m42.
    I would say both are nearly the same.
    But it has to be in good condition - livetime could be limited to 20 - 25 years in worst cases (just from my experience)
    with regards

PS : Conglatulation to the OP - for such nice price it is just "phantastic"

24. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bill just by the way (because I gave the SP500 of a friend last week back to him)
    What kind of cell does this model fit?
    I tryed a portfolio of 30 usable cells but no one was correct.
    He wanted to ask at Riccoh but I doubt on it. His best friend is at Riccoh image. But he has to do with coppy machines or something else (Not photo service) Pentax service was suprime from my point with many old parts they offered.
    But now they are closed.

with regards

25. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An MN400, which is obsolete mercury chemistry. Try a 387 silver oxide cell.

26. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I see - thanks, it is a watch cell so I will report him.
    s-l400(4).jpg

with regards