Threads
Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

Revenant

Shooter
35mm
Hello all. I've just joined Photrio and this is my first post here.

I've got back into (amateur) film photography recently and have learned to develop film for the first time during the pandemic. Mostly I've been using Rodinal and Ilfotec HC because powder developers don't really suit. However, it seems Xtol would be a good main developer because of its fine grain qualities and compensating and pushing abilities, and also its environmental characteristics. I discovered there is a Canadian one-shot liquid developer called Black, White & Green, and apparently it is basically liquid Xtol with long-term keeping properties which can be safely disposed of after use. I ordered some on the basis of reviews I'd seen (I've had to have it forwarded to Ireland as it's hard to get outside North America, so it will arrive this week hopefully).

But there seems to be very little information on it, and I couldn't even find anything searching on this forum. So does anyone know much about it? I'm optimistic that it will be suitable for my own purposes but the developing chart put out by the manufacturer, Flicfilm, just gives box speed information for a number of major films. I think it's worth having its own thread here anyway.

runswithsizzers

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I've never used any of the Black, White and Green chemistry, but I did send the company an email asking about shelf life of open bottles. the reply I got was:
"It has a very long life open or not. Just don't leave the lid off and you should find it is good for years. Keep it out of a high humidity location however, otherwise it will suck the air out of the top of the bottle. MSDS and times are on the website flicfilm.ca"

To me, that reply was not very satisfying - and I live in an area with very humid summers - so I decided not to try the developer.

There is a previous thread about this developer here: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threa...-black-white-and-green-film-developer.188348/

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm all in favour of Canadian film based entrepreneurs.
But I can't get comfortable with a photochemical marketer who seems to think that wash aids are only necessary if you use "hypo" based fixers.

OP
OP

Revenant

Shooter
35mm
Thanks for the link to that other thread. I hadn't seen that one. I think it's likely to work as advertised, but then that's what I want to believe!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom