Best Soviet rangefinder

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Zorkiphoto, Aug 26, 2015.

1. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone who thinks the Soviets/Russians made unmitigated crap needs to experience a good Kiev and a good Mosin-Nagant.

2. bimmey

bimmey Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ko.Fe. Getting a Fed 2 that has been CLA'ed and tested for $50. falls into the realm of if it's too good to be true.... I would just like to get one that works. Perhaps get it a CLA down the road. A few years ago I picked up a Vittressa T for $80. that works fine. Maybe I'll compromise and shoot the Vitessa and use Russian film.

My $100. 1932 Tula hex receiver Mosin will ring a gong at 300 meters off hand. Irritates the hell out of guys with $2000. rifles.

3. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    From ebay? :smile:
    Anyway, this guy is well reputable FSU repair person who also has FSU cameras for sale:
    http://www.okvintagecamera.com/fed.php
    Tested (for sure) and working (for sure).

4. Huss

Huss Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But that's the point, you need to find a good one because most are ..

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know, Huss, you always bring a bit of gloom to a thread.
    And kindly refrain from editing any post of mine to suit your agenda. Tyvm.

6. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Most of RF Keivs are Contax cameras made on Contax equipment and with some "voluntary" initial "help" of relocated Contax factory German workers.
    Up to Kiev 4/4A it is Contax. Then as with any equipment taken from Germany after war by the seventies, eighties it worn out. Then Kiev 4AM came.
    This one is considered to be not so good Kiev by those who are repairing them now. Often repair person will open mint Kiev 4AM for service and say - not a good one.
    In FSU mentality good is often equal to working one; correctly made, assembled one.
    I have working 4AM once and some others still have them. Working FSU camera (good one) is the camera which was successfully serviced.
    It is not good Kiev you need to find. You need to find one which was correctly and recently serviced.

7. bimmey

bimmey Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, from ebay. Thanks for the link. That Gentleman seems to have just what I'm looking for at a reasonable price.

8. Huss

Huss Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds almost like that defunct Elbaflex kickstarter effort. The one where they had basically got hold of a stock of unsold Kiev 19s. They had a pricing structure where if you paid $100 more (or whatever it was) you got one that had a second quality check performed in Germany!

9. kintatsu

kintatsu Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have the Fed 3 and found it quite decent. It's got some play om the back film cover, but doesn't cause any fogging or issues. The only other soviet camera I had was the Zenit 122K. It was nowhere near the quality the Fed 3. Mechanically, it was horrid.

10. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

I have a Zorki 1, Fed 1. Zorki 4. Fed 2 and Zorki 6. The first two are Leica II copies and the Zorki 6 is very similar but with a larger viewfinder and is my favorite.
    My regret is that they did not make more of the Orion 28mm which would be my favoured landscape lens but sells for much more than the camera plus 50mm.
    So I do not use an FSU camera for landscapes as have 28 mm in other systems for much less.

11. bimmey

bimmey Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I made the plunge into the world of FSU camera's. Thanks for the help selecting a good rangefinder. DSC_4565.jpg

12. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good choice. I have a couple FED-2 cameras myself, along with the -1, -3, -4, -4B, -5, -5B, and Zorki-1 and -4, and it's my favorite as far as form factor goes. Good, long rangefinder base and proportions. I just wish some times it has the slower speeds the later versions do, but with the Jupiter-8 it really is a great camera. Enjoy!

13. blockend

blockend Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Jupiter 8 is soft wide open and takes a few stops to sharpen up. Some people like that, some don't. I find the Industar 2.8 a more versatile lens for general photography, but the J8 is worth a go.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bimmey

bimmey Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried the new to me Fed 2 and Jupiter 8 with some Ferrania P30 that I've never tried before, and was pleased with the results. 2018-02-18-0035-2.jpg

16. Army35mm

Army35mm Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh man, I've been thinking about getting another FSU RF for a while. I really got into it when I bought my Fed2 from another member here. Pretty much beat that camera to shit and it kept on chugging. even accidentally dropped it in a soju punch bowl at a punk show in korea. it just wouldn't quit. My brother is enjoying it now. I've since "upgraded" to a leica m3, but I'm getting the itch to buy a solid Russian Leica III copy. Any recommendations on exact models to look for?

17. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Zorki S, Industar 22. It was a gift from the camera fairy and needed some minor attention, but it's a really fun camera, the lens is excellent, and the flash synch. works as it should. My only quibble is the lack of slow speeds, but the Canon IIb fills that.

19. nosmok

nosmok Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the FED "S" (Cyrillic C) for the 1/1000 shutter speed but they are rare birds (made only from 1939 - 1941 IIRC). FED glass is really good. I have a Zorki -3m that, if it can be brought into adjustment (2nd curtain slow) would be my new favorite, b/c of 1/1000 speed, a single shutter dial with all the speeds in order, and a nice big viewfinder that's still smaller than a Z4.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.