Best lenses for slide projectors

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by superflash, May 22, 2017.

1. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least the ventilated Prado models have an extra channel guiding an airstream along the slide stage.

2. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmmm. That's interesting. I would have guessed that Kodak would have shipped you the same projectors.

It was common knowledge here not to project individual slides too long at one time in the inexpensive Kodak projectors or they would get warm. Leitz even advertised in their ads how slides would stay cool in their projectors. This along with their great optics were the reasons to pony up the big bucks for a Leica projector. At least it was big bucks for me while paying for community college and automobile insurance! :smile:

3. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No the EU models were completely different. Possibly the US and EU ranges converged in the 1990s when the Ektalkite and Ektapro ranges appeared here, but mention Kodak Carousel to most people this side of the pond and they will visualise one of the Kodak Carousel 20xx models that were ubiquitous at every AV exhibit and conference hall from the mid 1960s right through to the of the century:

[​IMG]

There were a range of '10xx' semi-pro models, but they straddled a difficult territory, being very expensive for home users but not built durable enough for pro/permanent installations. Consequently they're rarer to find on the used market than the pro '20xx' models.

4. OP
    OP
    superflash

superflash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes OlyMan, perfect! You're right.
    In Europe there were only S-AV models 1xxx and 2xxx until 1991, then from 1992 only Ektapro and Ektalite. S-av 2050 was (and is) a war horse of 80s.

Someone of you know if there is possible to project in vertical on the ceiling? It is impossible or exist a gear that can do that?

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would use a mirror in the light path, tilted to 45 degrees. You will need to reverse the slides.

6. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the photograph. I never knew this.

On another note, I used to sell new cameras in a store in the 1980's. I had a customer who was purchasing a new Kodak 35mm camera. He said that he wanted an "American" camera and not a Japanese product. He freaked when I told him that his Kodak was actually made by Chinon in Japan. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Kodak made projectors in Germany.

7. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lol! It's good to be patriotic, though even then it was increasingly difficult!

8. OP
    OP
    superflash

superflash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt:
    I would use a mirror in the light path, tilted to 45 degrees. You will need to reverse the slides.

Where I should put the mirror ? Out of the projector? As in a overhead projector?

9. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would need to put the mirror on the outside. Basically what you would need to build in is the equivalent to one half of a periscope.

@Alan Gales Following on from my previous post regarding European models, here's the Kodak 1050, top-of-the-range model from the semi-pro line:

[​IMG]
    The exterior is built from plastic rather than the alloy used in the 20xx range. There are also some differences to the transport mechanism, all of which is reflected in their difference in weight: 20xx models weigh nearly 17lbs while the 10xx models weighed about 3lbs less. They also had a captive mains cable whereas the 20xx used an IEC 3-pin socket, aka kettle lead. 10xx models had 'amateur grade' features built in such as an interval timer and autofocus, and the cheaper variants didn't have AV sockets allowing them to be used in cross-fading pairs

10. OP
    OP
    superflash

superflash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And this is the top model of s-av 2xxx:

[​IMG]

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many incandescant lamps have to be orientated a certain way, thus this alone limits projector orientation, aside of proper mechanical prerequisites.

12. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They were and are very scarce. I've never seen one in person. Not many buyers were tempted by the extra cost of its automatic lamp changer, not to mention the additional bulk. Though it's easy to see the attraction of such a facility in unmanned installations.

13. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This above is the most important part if you want corner to corner sharpness! A friend of me made till the end of the 90is prof. slide shows with up to 9 projectors called multi visions with music etc. he always made duplicates from the originals and they did it between 2 glasses!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, I told him if he wanted American then he had to buy a large format field camera like a Deardorff. He didn't know what that was. :D

Here is what I owned but with a Schneider zoom lens instead. All plastic.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41S3348XMCL.jpg

16. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually I fail to see any reason why the normal lens provided with a slide projector should not suffice, unless you require a wide angle or long throw lens. It isn't as if you are going to go up close and personal to look at a projected image. At a reasonable viewing distance a lens made for projectors by Kodak, Leitz, Zeiss, or Rollie will be more than adequate.
    Searching for the nirvana of projection lenses in UK we would call this splitting hairs

When you imagine a lens made and designed to be used in cinema projection are perhaps the best there is - anywhere, they all look sharp but get up close you would be surprised how 'unsharp' the picture is. Given that most slides have an inbuilt curvature so it would be difficult to get a sharp picture all over.

You also have to consider using a lens not designed for projection could damage the lens. The heat from a projector bulb could distort the lens mount and if there were cemented elements, cause them to separate

I think you are searching for something that doesn't infact exist.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But for instance Leitz offered their early projectors with at least two qualities of lenses. And thus the same model shows up now with lenses of different qualities.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  18. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed. Maybe decades ago there were different qualities of projector lenses for 35mm (noted by AgX above), but in recent years I really doubt there was much between them. By the time you're projecting a 35mm transparency to in excess of six feet across. the bottleneck is the small film format not the lens.

19. OP
    OP
    superflash

superflash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These Simda projectors were only used for those (commercial) tasks were a lot of light was neccessary, there fast lenses make sense. For home-use they only gain half a stop against other lenses.

21. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the Simda Carousel clones had much larger lamps than the Kodaks, so potentially they would have been very much brighter. Funnily enough I was seriously scoping out the Simdas when I was first looking at buying Carousels 10-15 years or so ago. But seeing I use a pair of them for dissolve, I needed a cast iron guarantee that the dissolve sockets on the side were wired identically to Kodak's, because the dissolve unit I was using was designed to operate Kodaks. But nowhere I looked would give a definite nay or yay, so I gave them a miss.

22. Malcolm Stewart

Malcolm Stewart Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Strange, 44 replies, and so far no mention of slides jamming. You all must have been lucky!
    My late mother started projecting slides back in the 1960s, and the first projector was a hand driven Leitz Pradolux with standard magazine. It worked flawlessly, but was a bit low on brightness. After leaving home, my first projector was a Leitz 253IR, with 250W lamp. Sadly, it was very unreliable, with the motor driven slide change being the main culprit. I had it repaired by Leitz at my cost, and they suggested that I hadn't used it enough - later I discovered that this model was made by Kindermann, and not by Leitz. I even had jamming using open tray magazines, and any attempt to use the supplied LKM magazine was a disaster.
    Some time later, I moved to Kodak Carousel projectors, and they simply worked - brilliant! I bought Meopta DIA Opticon f2.8/100mm MC lenses for the Carousels, and they seemed just as sharp as the Leitz Colorplans that I had, but with higher contrast from the multi-coating.

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Kodak Carousels depended on gravity to move slides and are extremely reliable. When I sold cameras other slide projectors were returned and exchanged for Carousels, but we never had a Carousel returned and extremely rarely repaired except for being dropped.

24. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been there, done that and got the T shirt, with GAF 502's and Rollei P355's. Registration was always an issue as well: they couldn't be relied upon to pull the sides in to the projector precisely each time, so special effects that relied on the near-perfect alignment between two cross-fading slides (such as focus-shifting between two points of interest in the exact same scene) were a nightmare. Having dumped horizontal trays in favor of gravity-fed Carousels, all those problems ceased.

25. OP
    OP
    superflash

superflash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone of you know the difference from Ektapro 9020 and 9020 CINE?
    In many projector there used schneider cinelux av and golden navitar, but what are the best of them?
    Is it true that Golden Navitar 70-125/2.8 is the King of the zoom?

26. OlyMan

OlyMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    9020 Cine was designed for cinema and theater use (eg for showing adverts or promotions before the performance or during the interval). It had several exclusive features, namely an 'extra bright' lamp module (not sure of the exact brightness sorry), automatic lamp change, and a 'soft slide fade' which faded the lamp out before a slide change then up again afterwards. Sorry I have no knowledge of the lens.