Best Canon EOS body for FILM under $300?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by aoresteen, Nov 29, 2018.

1. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Title says it all. What's the best used Canon EOS film body for under $300 that can use the EF lenses?

I know nothing about Canon cameras. Last one I used was an F1 in 1983ish.

Thanks!

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the Canon EOS film bodies can use the EF lenses.
    What are you looking for in the way of features and characteristics?
    I ask because there is a multitude of choices, and they are all quite competent.
    In my cupboard alone I could easily part with three different bodies, whose prices would be quite reasonable.
    The top of the line professional oriented models tend to have the ability to use professional oriented accessories and functions, but do you need such things as full motor drives?

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would have a very hard time doing better than the EOS 650, or its successor the 670 (I think, might be a different number...i dunno) -- pro-level, fast autofocus, excellent metering system.

Current retail for EXC-plus bodies is about $50. I mean -- they're giving the damn things away because of their "age" but they are amazing cameras. I have one.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EOS Elan 7/7e/7N/7Ne/7s family are "advanced amateur" options that are quite recent (~2000) and extremely capable.
    The "e" versions offer eye control auto-focus which, if it works for you, is really neat. It doesn't work for everyone.

5. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I second Matt´s recommendation. Really the best EOS bodies if you do not want to spend the money on the EOS 3 or EOS 1 series.

6. koraks

koraks Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's in fact fairly difficult to find a used EOS for over $300. Yes, an EOS1n/v or EOS3, but just about all the others fetch much lower prices on the 2nd hand market.

And I third it. Note that the 'Elan 7' series is the EOS 3x (30/33) series outside the US. I regularly use mine; in fact, they are my go-to cameras. The EOS50/ElanII offers very comparable performance and features. Any of these can be had for a small fraction of the price you mentioned.

Resist any urge to get an EOS5 ('EOS A2/A2e' in the US). They're kludgy old beasts with a number of minor durability issues that are nonetheless quite annoying (malfunctioning mode select dial, battery drain when powered off).

7. choiliefan

choiliefan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you'd like something really really good, check out the EOS 3.
    Apparently it has the fastest AF speed including the newest stuff and lots of desirable features in a pro caliber body..
    You can find one for less than $300 used.

8. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I've used them all. A 1n is the best. Better than the EOS 3. The 1v was the best film camera Canon made but will probably set you back more than 300.

The other cameras mentioned here are competent, but you asked for the best.....

9. OP
    OP
    aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all! I've decided on the Canon EOS Elan 7N / EOS 33e / EOS 7s body and the Battery Pack BP300. The hunt is on!

10. ronwhit

ronwhit Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Tony,

If you strike out on your search for the cameras you noted, I have an EOS 650, 630 and lens kit listed in the "for sale" classifieds for $110.00 which includes shipping, but I will let you have it for a flat $100.00 shipped if you are interested.

Thanks,
    ronwhit

11. Trask

Trask Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    2C740FFB-851F-4F42-9D48-1CB71CF2734C.jpeg

If you want a manual-focus EOS camera, look for the EF-M. Unfortunately Canon used “EF-M” for other products, so doing a search is difficult. It has a “regular” focusing screen, not an AF focusing screen. Blurb from the online Canon Camera Museum:

This camera features TTL shutter speed-priority AE, TTL aperture-priority AE, Intelligent program AE, and TTL metered manual. Although it was compatible with EF lenses, it was a manual-focus camera sold only outside Japan.

The fixed, pentaprism viewfinder has a magnification of 0.75x (50mm at infinity) and 90% coverage. The matte focusing screen has a combination rangefinder. The 7-segment LCD within the image area displays numerals and text for the shutter speed, aperture setting, incorrect exposures, exposure level, film speed, AE lock, and flash ready.

Three-zone evaluative metering. partial metering at center, and centerweighted averaging metering are also provided.

12. OP
    OP
    aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Trask. I want the autofocus. I have 3 OM-2 bodies & lenses from 17 to 500mm. Over the last 5 years my Olympus E-1/E-3/E-5 DSLRs have spoiled me with auto focus hence the look for an auto focus film camera. Once I get a decent kit of glass for the EOS I can jump to a FF EOS DSLR camera that my OM wide angle lenses can mount. The weak area of the 4/3 system is the lack of wide angle primes which I have covered in spades with my OM glass. Never going to give my my Olympus DSLRs but I will supplement them in the wide angle prime arena.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started accumulating Canon EOS film bodies when I became curious about auto-focus and 35mm SLRs.
    They can be so cheap, and even the kit zoom lenses are extremely competent.
    And the lenses sort of work well on the Canon digital body I have - "sort of" because it has an APS-C sensor, I strongly favour wider angle lenses, and the "L" lenses don't make budgetary sense.
    They'll never replace my OM kit because of a whole bunch of factors, but they supplement it well.
    I have an extra Elan 7 body and an extra 28-90mm lens - start a conversation if you want to discuss.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. With the exception of the EOS 1V, I think that just about ALL EOS bodies can be found for under $300. No joke. So you have LOTS to choose from. So it depends on other factors you might desire. Just to provide an example for you, I sold a EOS Elan II that my mom owned, which she never used -- I mean it never had a single roll of film put through it -- sold it several years ago for $10. I made the mistake of listing it at auction on eBay with an opening bid of $10. And that's what it sold for. But you know, if I would have listed it as Buy It Now, I'd probably not gotten more than $25 for it. Oh well. I have an Elan IIe and it's actually a very nice camera.

But I guess if I were to get an EOS that wasn't a 1n or a 1v, I'd get an EOS 3. It's a very capable, advanced camera, suitable for pros and advanced amateurs. And for your purposes, it fits easily within your budget, selling for $100-130 in clean shape.

16. raizans

raizans Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

the eos 650, 620, 630/600, and RT are actually pretty enjoyable cameras, and REALLY cheap.

17. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would take one with more available batteries. Not all of EOS series cameras have batteries widely available. For my Elan I was only able to find it online.
    EOS film Rebel has still available grip and it takes AA.

Old EF L zoom lenses are main reason to buy EOS cameras. IMO. Good price and stellar performance. I'm using my L lenses on plastic EOS. Including plastic lens mount. :smile:

18. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yeah, this is my experience too. Twice, actually -- I got both of my EOS 1n bodies on eBay for about $100 apiece. And they were pretty much new or very-good condition. I recommend buying from Japan - excellent postal service and the seller was terrific too (I can dig up their name if anyone's interested. They seem to do a lot of business and were just great to deal with).
    The 1n was a pro body in its day and I'd say going from 2 or 3 thousand dollars each to a hundred is a pretty good deal!

19. jamesaz

jamesaz Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned the EOS 1 and A2e and actually prefer the A2e as it is both lighter and quieter. I have one now in my canon bag with a 5d and lenses.

20. OP
    OP
    aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are correct. I stumbled across this listing for an EOS 650 on eBay and had to buy one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-650-Camera-body-backup-for-620-Rebel-G-II-K2-Ti-T2-Elan-II-IIe-7e-7N/111224019099?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

$8.88 plus $11.11 shipping. The seller has 100% feedback and has sold 21 of them and has 8 left. Well worth the risk!

21. film_man

film_man Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only EOS body that costs over $300 is the 1V. You can have a 1N for $100 or just over. The 3 will set you back maybe 150 or 200 if you get a very good condition one.

Personally I find that if you can't afford a 1V (or don't want the weight, it is the heaviest) the 1N is the best of the bunch. The only exception is if you want better AF, the EOS 3 is then the best. The 1N has a better viewfinder though.

22. I just took a look on US eBay and I'm finding that the 1n listed from US sellers is going for $150 to $250, so a bit more than $100. Some Japan sellers are offering it for less, but then you have to add in $40 or so for shipping, so it's pretty much a wash. EOS 3s currently are selling for about the same -- those listed by US sellers. Japan sellers aren't offering any good deals on the 3.

23. ignatiu5

ignatiu5 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope you enjoy it. As you say, for less than $20, completely worth the risk.

I bought, tried, and sold probably the majority of the EOS line over several years. Personally, I preferred the models with the back thumbwheel, and because I was accustomed to those before I tried the 620/650 series, I never really got comfortable with the controls of the latter. I settled on three (ya gotta have three, right?): Elan 7, 7NE + the BP300 battery grip, and a 3 + PB-E2 which I use to fend off bears.

24. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of course with the right adapter, you can use OM lenses on the EOS but of course the tiny viewfinder in the EOS (and all AF cameras for that matter) will be hard to focus so the Olympus VariMagni Finder can come in handy for critical focus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Wait, so you can use that on a Canon camera? And it actually fits ok? Any details I should know about if I'd like to use one too?

26. film_man

film_man Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the subject of manual focus, I find that a 1V/1N/3 with and Ec-S screen is excellent for manual focusing. The Ec-S screen makes a huge difference and is specifically made to show sharp focus with fast lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.