baseboard problem

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by David Lyga, Jan 28, 2018.

1. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you don't want to mess with too much wood working, just measure the old one, buy a sheet of MDF from your local home improvement store, and have them cut it down to size. They should have a big saw there set up for just such things, and won't likely charge you, or if they do, it won't be much. Then, all you have to do is place the old board on top of the new board and drop something down from the holes to get the alignment right for each hole. You could fit a pencil through them, or if that's too small for your pencil to fit, just spray some spray paint through the hole. From there, find the right sized drill bits, and drill out the holes. You could be done here, or you could spray paint and varnish the wood to make it last longer. Be careful though, as MDF doesn't spray paint well, so you'll probably need a thick primer and lots of coats, and have to apply them very thinly, to keep the MDF from bubbling. Or, you could use plywood instead of MDF and that would be slightly more likely to warp, but be a lot more tolerant to moisture and be a lot easier to paint.

All in all, it shouldn't take you longer than an afternoon and cost you more than $30.

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd consider mixing some 30 min epoxy and dilute with some isopropyl if it is thick. Then paint this around the edges. Maybe a few coats. I think this might keep the edges from chipping. Then you could cover the edge with decorative vinyl tape for cosmetics.

3. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here such boards are called "Multiplex".

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here a "Multiplex" is a movie theatre with several screens!

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here too...

Anyway, I very often encounter problems at Apug when the topic is building something in the workshop or at the house. Names of materials are different or differently used. At the house even construction differs.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If the enlarger is on a sturdy table with a flat surface, you could just remove the hardware that mounts the column to the baseboard and mount the column directly to the table. Usually that gets you more baseboard space (though for a while I actually had an enlarger sitting on a rolling table that was smaller than the baseboard, so that I could use it in a tight temporary space).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.