Anyone Want Return of Panatomic X?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by braxus, Jul 12, 2017.

1. braxus

braxus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PanX.jpg

With Kodak reintroducing Ektachrome late this year, they made mention of other films that could return. I wouldn't be surprised if Plus X would be one of them. That said I wonder if Kodak would consider bringing back Panatomic X? Anyone here want this film to return?

2. Larry Cloetta

Larry Cloetta Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I liked Plus-X, but I loved Pan-X, so, yes. I'd rather see this than Ektachrome, to be honest. (glad for any of it, though)

3. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would buy and use it.

4. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes....and the return of Kodachrome....and the return of the happy days of my youth ! :wink:

But, seriously, I would use Panatomic-X again now.

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When did Kodak make mention that other films might be resurrected? I must have missed that announcement. In fact, I seem to have missed any serious update of the Ektachrome resurrection since it was mentioned at CES. Maybe I'm asleep at the wheel but talk is cheap and I'm still looking for any real evidence of such activities.

It wouldn't disappoint me if Plus-X returned... but now that I replaced it with FP-4 I don't know if I'd run back to it or not. Panatomix-X was never a film I used much... but that would be a more unique contribution to the available film types.

6. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Am I right in assuming that TMax 100 has perhaps the same granularity and sharpness/resolution? And all that at a couple stops more speed? So if they reintroduced Panatomic-X they would practically compete with themselves? And the sales of one product would eat into the sales of the other? Why would they do it?

7. mhanc

mhanc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 -- great point. but to happily indulge in the hypothetical here:

i am not a fan of tabular-grain films and not a fan of tmx in particular. hence, kodak does not get my business in slow speed b+w films. the reintroduction of pan-x would change that - i loved that film and used it a lot back in its day, along with tri-x. for medium format, 100 iso film usually means a tripod for me, so an additional 2-stops slower is not an issue... 35 mm is another story but i would still take pan-x over tmx.

for the larger issue of resurrecting extinct films, i would rather see kodak restart manufacturing of some of their color films. e100vs and ektar 25 would be at the top of my list. [sure, i would love to see any of the kodachromes back in production and would pay dearly to use them again, however, i just don't think there will ever be k14 processing on this planet again.]

back to reality -- i am ecstatic over the reintroduction of 35mm e100 this fall and will use it almost exclusively as my 35mm color film. let's make this a success for kodak and then perhaps they will bring back other films that we miss... one step at a time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. ozmoose

ozmoose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Panatomic-X? In a word, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes! Well, it's one word - just repeated, as we oldies do a lot.

Pan-X was a unique emulsion. It gave ultrafine grain without the hideous contrast that seems to be the trademark of every slow film on the market today. You could push it (within reasonable limits) and it reacted well with most developers on the market inthe 1970s and 1980s. I shot thousands of rolls of it in 35mm and 120 - my diary for 1985 indicates I bought 10 100-foot rolls of it that year (I still have some of my invoices for that year which indicate that Kodak Australasia was selling it for about A$44 then. At the time I ran no less than three bulk film loaders with Tri-X, Plus-X and Pan-X. In those long ago days now past.

I shot heaps of Pan-X long after it was discontinued in the late '80s and I processed it in Agfa Rodinal Special, a wonderful (and underrated) developer of the time, which also vanished from the local photo retail shop in the late '90s. On my walls at home are six framed 16 by 20 enlargements I printed on Ilford Galerie paper from Panatomic 35mm.No other film has ever given me such fine mid tones in large prints. With 120 Pan-X carefully shot and processed, I could have made mural size prints. Now no more. Ilford's Pan F is a good film, but in no way is it comparable to Panatomic. I've not tried the Efke or other slow films.

Kodak once claimed its (then new) TMax 100 was the replacement for and "as good as, even better than" Panatomic, as a Kodak Australasia PR rep once told me. I shot it for some years (and still do, now and then) before going over largely to Ilford FP4. To me TMax 100 is definitely not the same. The difference is in the mid tones and the lovely velvety contrast of Pan-X.

Market dictates being what they are these days, if Kodak does bring back E100 (I will be using it as a welcome antidote to the muted Agfa pastels and the overbrilliant Fuji greens and yellows in today's sadly limited range of E6 films), I will be in a state of ecstasy. A return of Plus-X would see me dancing for joy in the streets of Hobart. If Pan-x were to come back... I'll uncork my one surviving bottle of 1990 Penfold's Grange from my fast shrinking wine cellar, so far being kept for my 75th or 80th birthday, if I make it that far. For Plus-X, I would happily crack it open and drink it early.

9. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pan X was a beautiful film, fine grain with a wide latitude. When Kodak discontinued itt here was really no replacement. A wonderful pairing with Beutler formula.

10. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was discontinued a few years before I became interested in photography, so I never got the chance to try it. I'd like to see it come back... as well as Kodak HIE.

11. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it has more sharpness (Tmax).

What i would like to see is not Panatomic-X 32; i would like to see TMax 50 or Tmax 32 !!

12. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not going to happen. We need to embrace what is available.

13. Marcelo Paniagua

Marcelo Paniagua Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, like they say, money talks :smile: Just support Kodak films (current ones and Ektachrome when it gets released) and yeah I think Kodak will reintroduce old films again. Its all based on profit after all.

Realistically speaking though, I think they would be more inclined to release products that don't compete among themselves. Recipe for disaster.

Regards

Marcelo

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Andrew O'Neill

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That's a very good point, Marcelo, and that is probably why Ilford hasn't released Delta 400 in large format as it would compete directly with HP5.

16. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never used it, rarely if ever saw it anyway when it was around, so don't miss it, don't care if I never see it in the future.

So, no, basically.

17. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Why wish for films that were retired decades ago, when products like Tmax 100 exist? While its characteristic curve may be different from Pan-X, it is superior in most every way. Learn to use it well and you will be less inclined to wish for the return of extinct products.

18. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where did you get that picture? That's awesome. Once Tmax films came out I walked away from everything else. I don't think I have shot Panatomic-X since 1970's
    I want it all back, mostly every photo paper Kodak made from 1945 on. In every surface and every paper base :smile:
    Mike

19. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes of cause - what a question braxus and I can tell you in an addition the recomanded price : $ 4,49 a single 120 roll / $21,95 a 5 x box !!!

with regards

20. Andrew O'Neill

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Can you say the same thing about Kodak HIE? :smile:

21. Wallendo

Wallendo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would buy Pan-X.
    My only experience with the film was buying a bulk loader on eBay, and unexpectedly find it loaded with Pan-X. I enjoyed shooting that film and love the appearance of the images.
    The problem with the discontinued Kodak films is that they were generally discontinued because people weren't buying the films.
    I have concerns about E100. Did EK/KA pull the plug too soon? Or are their trends in the industry that will make a once non-viable product suddenly profitable again?
    For Panatomic-X, the issue would seem to be if they could efficiently manufacture the product in low enough quantities for what would obviously be a niche item..

22. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quite right. In fact the characteristic curve of TMax 100 isn't even that different than Pan-X, certainly not different enough to notice. TMax 100 is the superior film. Some people just want old stuff to come back, and/or they see what they want to see.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  23. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    only if bulk rolls sold for $32 each like they did when i used to buy it !
    loved pan atomic x, and it had the coolest name !
    btw my saber toothed tiger will be ready to pick up from MIT on saturday ..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  24. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not really a fair comparison. HIE was a special purpose film with no real substitute. Pan-X was just a general purpose film. You can do anything with TMax 100 that you could with Pan-X.

25. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In an ideal photographic world, if the time could be rolled back to about 2000 and all the Kodak materials we enjoyed in the days gone bye could be available again, I would greatly appreciate it.

Especially..... HIE, Technical Pan, and possibly PlusX.

26. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may be wrong, but I thought T-grain films required less silver than conventional films for a similar speed. If true, it would seem to be a smart financial decision by manufacturers to move to T- grain emulsions. If I recall, the push towards T-grain occurred close to the time the Hunt brothers were buying up silver.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.