Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
Okay, I've got a custard chilling for a couple of batches of French vanilla ice cream.

That's six more egg whites for the albumen jar.

Allen Friday

Shooter
ULarge Format
I would like to get in on the exchange. I do pl/pt and would be very interested in seeing examples of bromoil, Van Dyke, kallitypes and gum.

I live in the sticks, so it is difficult to find examples of well made prints using alt processes. Great idea.

Allen Friday

gandolfi

Shooter
Large Format Pan
Mateo said:
I'm open for anything but would recommend breaking the group up into smaller groups of perhaps 4-5 persons so that we don't all have to send out 12-15 prints. That way the list can be open ended until cutoff date when the groups are randomly chosen.

Also, we will at some point need to specify exactly what meets the criteria for alt process prints. I don't like to exclude anybody but at some point we will lose the whole purpose of the exchange if everything from lith prints to Azo prints to enlargements made with a nylon stockings under the lens are included. I would personally like to include POP as the one gentleman was inquiring but we would need to all be in agreement.

Here's a list of which processes I would think should be included.

Platinum/Palladium
Carbon/Carbro
Cyanotype
Gum Bichromate
Van Dyke/Kallitype
POP
Albumen
Salt prints
Bromoil
Photogravure

And if we have some crazy people out there:

Copper prints
Chrysotypes
Uranium prints

yes - crazy....

what about - oilprint.
and I have a question: Photogravure.. what DO you mean?

I do photopolymer gravures - a danish version of the old copper gravures..

I'll join, if any are interested.

jimgalli

Subscriber
Shooter
ULarge Format
OK. This is exactly what I need to get me off my butt and back into Pt / Pd which I haven't done since '00. Wonder if the developer is still good. Looks like drain oil from the Jetta TDI. Count me in. I'll likely do 5X7's.

CarlRadford

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi Folks,

I have been conversing with Mateo away from the thread and the idea of groups of 4-5 sounds good and that way we can leave the cut-off date for joining as mid Nov - in fact shall we say 14 Nov and prints due to arrive at by mid December hopefully avoiding most of the rush! Groups sorted out by names in a hat and picked by my good lady wife unless someone has a better option and everyone being responsible for sending on their prints to others in their group. If someone wants to be in more than one group then that should be ok too?! Mateos list to be used as what constitutes an alt print - or have some slipped through the net!?

So far we have:

Peter Schrager
Christian Nze
Ole Tjugen
Randy Ellis
Mateo
John Brewer x2
David Goldfarb
Carl Radford
Art
Mark
Don Bryant
Mike C
Joe Lipka
Jeremy Moore
Aggie ?
Alan
Gerhard
DoughOwk
Gandolfi
Jim Galli
Matt Miller

All the best, Carl

Last edited by a moderator:

matt miller

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Mateo said:
The important thing to me is to let someone starting out in alt process see first hand how prints from someone else look. So Nige, I think the rank beginer is exactly who this is for.

I am a beginner making palladium ziatypes, with just 30 or so prints under my belt. I'd love to join this exchange if there's room. I've only seen a few (like five or six) alt process prints. I'd love to see what's possible. There just isn't anything available around here.

photomc

Shooter
Multi Format
Carl, Thanks for getting this going...it is appreciated and from the turn out and the level (from those like myself up to some well respected printers) what a great thing is getting done. Also, like the idea of 4x5 or 5x7 negatives for the most part...they tend to be much more intimate and what a great way for all of us to get to see what xxxx process looks like. You and Mateo deserve much of our Thanks.

gr82bart

Shooter
Multi Format
CarlRadford said:
Mateos list to be used as what constitutes an alt print - or have some slipped through the net!?
Would Polaroid transfers be considered? I say this just in case my PT/PD prints in the upcoming 2 weekends falls flat on my face (I'm a newbie at the PT/PD process) and that way, I have a backup plan!

Art.

jimgalli

Subscriber
Shooter
ULarge Format
Thanks to this forum.........I just made my first Pt / Pd print in 5 years! After a balky start with some Ferric Oxalte that wouldn't go in solution, I coated some paper and made a picture. Whee! Not perfect but shows great promise.

jimgalli

Subscriber
Shooter
ULarge Format
Ok, it's over in the standard gallery, warts and all. Lots of warts to work out. Having troubles getting a decent dmax. Jim

mark

Just took a close look at who is in this exchange. HOLY CRAP Batman! I am so outclassed it ain't even funny.

gr82bart

Shooter
Multi Format
mark said:
Just took a close look at who is in this exchange. HOLY CRAP Batman! I am so outclassed it ain't even funny.
Ummm...fear not Mark, for I, Art, am KING of the outclassed in this field...You are looking at the bottom of the barrel here.

I just bought the contact-thingamajig-with-a-hinge-holder-thing (what is it called anyway?) today at B&H. It was the last one. Hopefully, next weekend will be bright and sunny with lots of UVA rays!

Also bought a kallitype kit from the Photographer's Formulary to practice!

BTW, I blame Jeremy Moore for my dive into making PT/PD prints. If he didn't send out a beautiful PT/PD print in the last Exchange Round, I never would have been curious about this practice. A pox on your nose Jeremy, a big pox on your nose!

Regards, Art. (Thank GAWD, my Polaroid stuff is standing by...)

OP
OP
Mateo

Mateo

Shooter
Multi Format
Ummm...I think you guys might have the wrong idea here. What made me think of this in the first place were the prints I have that were made by some gifted and experience printers. Having something to look at was a big push for me to see what could actually be done in any of the processes. I certainly do hope that anyone who would be interested in participating but is afraid because they are just starting out, would go ahead and join in.

mark

Then we shall wallow in the mud together, art, for we are truely unclean :smile:

photomc

Shooter
Multi Format
And it is THAT thought that allows me to even consider doing this Mateo. After all it was one of your prints that gave me the desire to continue printing alt process. The feed back will be great if nothing else....that and the chance to see how others work looks in person. After all, how many Ziatype printers are out there? It will be fun, and really like the idea of 4x5 or 5x7 because it keeps the image intimate...and I like the size, nice to know everything does not have to be ULF to be good.

Mateo said:
Ummm...I think you guys might have the wrong idea here. What made me think of this in the first place were the prints I have that were made by some gifted and experience printers. Having something to look at was a big push for me to see what could actually be done in any of the processes. I certainly do hope that anyone who would be interested in participating but is afraid because they are just starting out, would go ahead and join in.

gbock

Shooter
Multi Format
photomc said:
It will be fun, and really like the idea of 4x5 or 5x7 because it keeps the image intimate...and I like the size, nice to know everything does not have to be ULF to be good.

I showed a bunch of prints to a friend of mine last weekend, and he thought 4x5" was too big! I'm considering making 2 1/4" contact prints, just for the heck of it. I saw a 35mm contact print of a spiral staircase once, matted to maybe 8x10" or 11x14", and it was stunning.

Gerhard

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
gr82bart said:
I just bought the contact-thingamajig-with-a-hinge-holder-thing (what is it called anyway?) today at B&H. It was the last one. Hopefully, next weekend will be bright and sunny with lots of UVA rays!

Art, did you check upstairs in the used section? I was there a few days ago and they had three 8x10" print frames for about $16 each. They were Premier frames--not the best out there, but functional and in good shape. I'm a little ambivalent about my 11x14" Premier frame (the build is a bit light), but the 8x10" frames seemed okay.

CarlRadford

Shooter
Multi Format
35mm rules but...

I have had my two godchildren - aged 3 and 5 - here all week and we did some cyanotypes with feathers and leaves. I printed some stuff up for their mum and did the test strips in cyanotype for the hell of it. She loved it and I must admit I was quite taken. Then I went the whole hog and printed some of my images taken with the Holga on an old t-shirt - the kids thought it was great. Now what sizes are you folks :smile:

All the best, Carl

nze

Shooter
Multi Format
I personally prefer small "intimate" contact print . I use a lot of different camera from 4x5 to 12x20 and even if I appreciate the 7x17 11x14 image I made I am more hypnotized by the small print, 8x10 look already to large.
I once see a series of Sudek prints in my own hand and really I was just impressed by the small print.

Best

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom