A Sinkhole of Money

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by RattyMouse, May 13, 2018.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that I've sold off about 60% of my camera gear (all 35mm cameras and lenses except one), it's amazing how much money I have sunk into this hobby. Built up over the last 10 years, I had well over $10,000 in hardware! No wonder my wife gets angry from time to time (and is ecstatic these days).

This is not a critical comment towards others (or myself!) as that gear gave me immense pleasure during the past 10 years. You have to spend your money on something, as you can't take it with you.

I still have my medium format gear, and the digitals, which are worth next to nothing since time has passed them by.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I do not limit myself to photography a money pit. I used to have skiing too. But I still have offroading. You have spent your adult life buying things for others, so especially now you should allow yourself the self indulgence of one or more money pits.

3. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Your hobby habits are healthy, I know a few guys who spent twice this amount on custom razors & shaving gears. Life is too short to be cheap on what makes you smile (As long as it don’t jeopardize you marriage :D )

4. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still cheaper then cigarettes.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    And a lot healthier!

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stop these trolling post please.

If I had spent $10,000 in the last 10 years on gear (hardware) I'd have assets worth 5-10 times what I'd have spent because I'm careful and do a little research price wise.. I have cameras I've paid £50 for that I can easily sell for £750 or cutting my losses definitely £500. It's the same with lenses, tripods and various other items.

It's about time you stopped these constant negative film/camera trolling posts Mr RattyMouse, they aren't positive or even remotely informative. I'm really not sure why you post here on this Forum at all, except maybe to sell items.

Ian

7. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $1000.00 per year hardly qualifies as a “sinkhole”. Even if you add in all the software costs, and consider how many hours per year you use these items, it probably works out to a few bucks an hour. Less than a movie. Less than a moderately priced dinner. Less than a medium coffee. Besides, it’s hard to put a monetary value on something that delivers as much pleasure to most of us ( although I’m not sure you’re deriving any pleasure from it these days).

8. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Report me to the moderator.

Ian- read more carefully. If you had, you'd have seen this text: "This is not a critical comment towards others (or myself!)....."

You see? I went out of my way to make sure this post was not taken negatively, yet you in your stampede to respond missed that. Slow down. If you want to buy my gear, it's all on craigslist. I've got one item up there that hasnt sold yet. I'm not even linking to it and never had during this binge of selling that I have done. None of the gear I have sold has gone to any APUG members.

9. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I agree completely. But since it builds up over time, it's still somewhat of a surprise that so much money was spent. I certainly would not blow such a huge amount in one shot.

10. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $20,000 on shaving equipment? Good god, I can't even imagine how that is possible.

11. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ten grand in the last ten years! With prices as low as they have been for the last decade? Most of my cameras, lenses, etc were bought over a long period of time in the days when this stuff was really expensive and money was real money.
    But all of the visual arts are expensive. Quality tools and marble are expensive, quality artist colors are expensive ( if you can even find an art supply store that stocks them), paper can be very expensive, musical instruments are expensive (a pretty good string instrument at least ten grand and up, up, up.)
    I share the same feelings as Ian with regard to your negative posts. Maybe photography is just not your cup of tea. That’s ok too. People try things and decide it’s not what was expected. So move on to something else.

12. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FFS, if you are tired of my posts, THEN DONT READ THEM.

Am I the ONLY one who passes posts that I know I wont like? Seriously?

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It’s quite surprising how money adds up, a little here and a little there. Before too long it accumulates to a lot.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I better not look at my Starbucks habit!

16. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Geez I was about to mention the coffees at Starbuck! My uncle quit smoking about a 2 month ago, he calculated that he spent an average 300$ per month on cigarettes. That's twice the price of my gym membership for a year!

17. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Starbucks is such a great way to start a work day. It's really hard to say no. My company serves coffee that would embarrass the local sewer.

18. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At work we have Seattle's Best (Starbucks value brand) in packets to fill 12 cup airpots. I make what I call my "poor man's espresso" by adding 1/4-1/3 extra packet when making a pot and placing my cup right under the spout when it starts. Then I add my own cream, not using those nasty little pods of liquid nuclear waste. Keeps me awake all morning.

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i knew people that would get 4 or 6 large coffee drinks a day ( upwards of 20$ )
    your camera situation is kids stuff ...

20. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sure some of them use dSLRs and think 60$ per month for films is insane. Go figure.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  21. 4season

4season Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Was your wife more happy about the money -- or the clutter-reduction? :D

I gave away or sold a lot of my possessions awhile back, and it was like constantly finding $100 bills stuck between the sofa cushions! And the crazy thing was, sometimes I barely could remember buying or using the things. Often, whatever utility or enjoyment I might've gotten out of them was a thing of the (distant) past, and they had since become little more than dust-collectors, so it really did feel like found money.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  22. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Compared to many leisure time activities, $1000 a year is not a lot ($83 a month). Travel, for one, will gobble up cash at an impressive rate. One great thing about purchasing photo gear is that you can sell it when you’re done with it and recoup cash. Try doing that with a trip to Tahiti...

23. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How many pairs of designer shoes did your wife buy with your camera money? :D

24. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you use negativity in your words it what you get.. title should have read A PILE OF RICHES
    CAUSE PHOTOGRAPHY BRINGS ME JOY

25. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I usually make my own coffee, but what I buy for coffee tisn't cheap. People will gladly fork over 5 to 10 bucks for 1 drink in a bar ,5 buck coffee sounds lovely to me.

Getting rid of stuff and moving on is fun. I've got so much stuff. You want to talk about money pit, buy a big fancy boat or expensive cars. Sounds like you are happy with what you are doing. It's all about enjoying the voyage, sometimes it helps to lighten the load :smile:
    Best Regards Mike

26. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Pretty much what I was thinking -- I have spent far more on travel, film, chemicals, printing material, and matting/framing than I have on equipment. No regrets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.