A brand new Super 8 camera from Kodak?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ektagraphic, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    May 2017 is the date I was given at the "Kodakery" pop-up shop. They had there what looked like a pre-production model.
    It seemed very nice.

2. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like Sean said: "Just create an anonymous 'dummy' facebook account and keep it logged in. It would work fine for those purposes." I've seen quite a few such pages.

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldnt know as I never do facebook.

4. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Now that's not Kodak's fault, is it.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, they could be discussing such at their own site.
    The idea of linkages with personal sites to me seems non appropriate for concerns, museums etc. But that's the way it is done today.
    But I admit I'm a old fart on this matter.

6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure it is. Kodak picks where they want to reach people and if they have limited thinking like this then it is 100% their fault.

7. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I really don't understand why a lot of companies are focusing on their "social media" presence in spite of their own websites. From a marketing standpoint, I can't see how this could be right. The whole idea would be, ideally, to attract traffic to your own website, right?

I used to "do" Facebook, but no more. I've quit even Instagram. No time to watch other people's lives and even less time to show my ridiculously unimportant life. :wink:

Cheers,
    Flavio

8. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, if people have limited thinking about social media things like Facebook, then it is 100% their fault.

9. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too funny. Kodak can keep their limited thinking if that if is what works for them. Using that strategy I wont see Kodak's name and so will think of them less and less, which is probably why I ordered 20 rolls of Fuji 400H last week instead of Portra.

10. brofkand

brofkand Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak could delete kodak.com entirely and keep Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and a majority of the people they're targeting this camera to would never even notice the difference.

11. NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you really so reliant on advertising? I don't remember the last time I saw an Hp5 ad but I still buy it. Kodak has opened up a pop up in London, they have increased their social media presence on Facebook and Instagram, and they have a podcast now. They go to the trade shows, and they've re-vamped their website. But I'll make sure to tell the next Kodak rep I see that they need to go to your house and start yelling ''EKTAR!!!!" right in your ear so you think of them more. Fujifilm 400H is a great film, in many ways better than Portra 400 for skin tones (IMO), but Fuji has indicated that they don't want to be making film long term. Kodak has indicated the opposite, as long as it's profitable. Good luck finding 400H in 5 years time.

12. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Twitter is pretty much open. You don't need an account to read anyone's "tweets".

Facebook, on the other hand, requires that you give them every bit of info about you and the blood of your first child in their sacrificial altar.

No way I'm getting into that (again).

Cheers,
    Flavio

13. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    other than a working email address there is not any enforced compulsion to give them ACCURATE information. you can say you are a 35 year old male Go-GO dancer from Ubeckastan and how are they going to know otherwise.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do YOU know I am a go-go dancer in Uzbekistan? :smile:

Now, getting back to seriousness... I've seen friends who had their accounts blocked or reported as fake having to show ID to prove they were who they claimed and get their accounts reactivated.

So, you can get away with EULA violation, as long as don't get caught. :wink:

Cheers,
    Flavio

16. NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not a Facebook user either, but somehow the Kodak newsletter with the link to the Super 8 sample footage still showed up in my inbox. Madness...

17. flavio81

flavio81 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wrong Flavio... i'm the gigolo dancer in Uzbekistan.

As for Kodak, marketing by Facebook is just fine, i don't see a problem with this.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a difference between marketing on Facebook and only marketing on Facebook.

Of the people I spoke to about them spreading substantial information only on Facebook, all were ignorant and desinterested in that issue, with exception of Mirko from Fotoimpex, who told me that he was aware of that and has and will put all information at least on his own site too.

19. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can't agree more.

Cheers,
    Flavio

20. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now I know why some clubs are not hiring me anymore! :wink:

Cheers,
    Flavio

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak statement Jan. 2016:
    "The first new Super 8, expected to arrive in a limited-edition version in the fall of 2016, was conceived with help from the industrial designer Yves Behar. It is likely to cost between $400 to $750, Mr. Clarke estimated."

Kodak statement Nov. 2017:
    "While an exact pricing has not been established, the unit cost will be around $2,500 to $3,000."

22. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretty amazing price increase.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the major features of this new Super-8 camera would be the feature of "video-out", thus the chance to feed out the viewer image to a monitor or an electronic storage device. The former gives the cinematographer more freedom in camera handling as he can operate it away from his head.

BUT this in most cases involves further equipment and thus is contrary to the most important feature of Super-8 cameras cinematography: simplicity and compactness.

And with the new price range one is in the range of 16mm cameras, that already incorporate the video-out feature.

24. Hubigpielover

Hubigpielover Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about film. Why not just go 16mm? You can buy a reworked Bolex pretty cheap and the company and resellers are still around to fix them. I keep kicking around (after I finish my darkroom) on getting a movie camera and the only reason I can see to get a Kodak is that they digitally scan it making it easier to share.

On a side note the Bauer's look cheap enough to jump into it without to much risk. Bolex are pretty pricey. Any particular model of the Bauer? What should I want and avoid in these cameras? Do I need a special attachment to record sound?

25. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want great picture quality then you would be wise to shoot 16mm and forego S8 entirely. Personally I would NOT go the Bolex route these days. Real professional 16mm cameras go for dirt these days-- like Arri, Eclair or Aaton. If you shoot any amount of film, the investment in camera gear will pale in comparison to the film and post costs. And Dan's comment about figuring for in the cost of an overhaul? Yes. It's simply part of the program.

26. Europan

Europan Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I repair and service all kinds of motion-picture film machinery. Experience lets me judge on the announced product. In case it won’t have a viewfinder that works without electricity it will die a fast death. Who offers a photographic or cinematographic CAMERA OBSCURA without means for framing and focusing? You either have a matte surface in place of the recording medium or at least some sight. A visor.

Bell & Howell combined Filmo 70’s finder with the lid. Sturdy, reliable, precise. Other makes have a tube through the housing, protected. 8mm cameras were made with a true mirror reflex viewing system. Most Super-8 cameras had a prism reflex finder that is usable for unlimited time. No energy wasted, no accumulator needed, no switches.

The designer has cut off valuable bottom surface from the body. The Eastman-Kodak Company was known for a century to make cameras that take a good stand on the tripod, from the earliest boxes to Ciné-Kodak, Ciné-Kodak Special, to the Kodak Electric 8, M2, M4, and M6. If the announced product follows the prototype shown in this respect, pity. Who advertises a movie camera by pointing out its use off the tripod? Why a technically steadied picture when the user shakes and jitters the camera?

Plastic. Lightweight product. Is is necessary? Does that comply with Kodak’s retro thing? No, it doesn’t. Retro means exactly a Ciné-Kodak on a heavy enough tripod. Time for the setup. One own’s standpoint, not everyone’s. Else the entire retro fad is a lie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.